Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
jonson123

What is it?

Ive brewed 2 batches of West coast and i let them ferment for 1 week and than bottled.

My question is how long do u peeps recomend i let it ferment? I just bought a couple deluxe refills and should they ferment longer than standard refills and if so how much longer. Dont u guys get tired of answearing all these questions? :P

Always ferment 2 weeks.
Carbonate in the bottle 2 weeks
Condition 2 weeks.

It's the 2-2-2 rule... and generally makes good beer.

You can get a hydrometer too if you want to know when your beer is done fermenting, but it takes some beer to take readings. One advantage of the hydrometer is that you have a good idea what your ABV is too.

If you use a hydrometer... take a reading after a week, then another a couple days later... if the reading is the same both days, then your beer is done fermenting.

To get an accurate ABV then you need to take a reading before you pitch your yeast.

Tindel wrote:

Always ferment 2 weeks.
Carbonate in the bottle 2 weeks
Condition 2 weeks.

It's the 2-2-2 rule... and generally makes good beer.

You can get a hydrometer too if you want to know when your beer is done fermenting, but it takes some beer to take readings. One advantage of the hydrometer is that you have a good idea what your ABV is too.

If you use a hydrometer... take a reading after a week, then another a couple days later... if the reading is the same both days, then your beer is done fermenting.

To get an accurate ABV then you need to take a reading before you pitch your yeast.

+1

And remember, the Carbonate and Condition are both done at room temperature. So thats at least 4 weeks in the bottle at at room temperature BEFORE it goes in the fridge.

Letting them ferment for 3 weeks is what I do, gives the yeasties extra time to clean up after themselves before putting them back to work carbing.

You need a hydrometer to know how long to ferment. There are variables that may cause a batch to ferment faster or slower. Temperature and yeast being the main factors. A hydrometer will tell you exactly when it's ready.

:borg: Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center jonson123. You will be assimilated. Resistance is Quite Futile: WE have Beer.

Us? Get tired of answering all these questions? Nah. that's why we're here. Read the simple Guide Line. It's there to answer the most common questions and puzzlers. Give it a perv.