Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
BadgerBrew

Central OHIO

Welcome Tom,

Dayton is still "central" lol. You'll find the blogs quite helpful with your first batch...and second,third,fouth, etc :laugh:

either of you know somewhere local to pick up suppies other then BBB?

Guest System Admin

There is a place on Smithville in Dayton, Ohio. I have never been there but I believe they sell a bunch of stuff.

Belmont Party Supply
2621 South Smithville Rd.
Dayton, OH 45420
(937) 252-4724

BrewTensils
2617 South Smithville Rd.
Dayton, OH 45420
(937) 252-4724

Belmont Party Supplies and Brewtensils

either of you know somewhere local to pick up suppies other then BBB?

If you want Mr Beer brand then BBB and Kitchen Collection are the only local places I know. If you need a LHBS that sells all the other goodies check out Gentiles Wine Sellers. They are at 1565 King Avenue. On the corner of King and N Star, about a mile or so west of OSU Medical Center. It's a good place..and the people there seem very knowledgeable.

Hello everyone.

I'm in Dayton Ohio. I jumped into brewing head first and the LBK's were just not enough for me so I now have three 5 gallon batches fermenting as we speak.

I live in Dayton but work at The Ohio State University and do that commute daily. I'm active duty Air Force and I'm with the ROTC unit at the university.

I read something about Brew Tinsels and I have been there and it is a very nice store and they offer free brewing classes.

If any one knows of any good brew pubs in the area let me know. I love micro brews and restaurants that make their own beer.

Oh yeah I almost forgot. I found yet another brew store in Yellow Springs Ohio and it's called the Main Squeeze because it's a juice bar as well. They have just about everything that Brew Tinsels does plus you might see Dave Chapelle in there like I did.

Good to know you Dustin! My wife works at The Ohio State University also. I'm not really sure of any brew pubs in Columbus, but I've got to imagine they are there, I just haven't found them yet. I'll look for some and let you know what I find.

Oh...and, Thanks! for your service to our Great Country!!! :cheers:

The only Brew Pubs in the Columbus area I know of are BJ's Brewhouse (Polaris and Dublin) and also Gordon Biersch in the Arena District.

Hi everyone. Plain City brewer.

Got my lbk for Christmas. My first batch of beer (wc pale ale) just started it's 5th week. (1st week conditioning)

Put my second batch (high country canadian draft) into bottles last night, and started my third batch (octoberfest vienna lager).

My first batch went into 2 liter soda bottles and the batch I did last night went into 12oz bottles. That was actually pretty fun.

Looking forward to getting to know you folks and learning from you!

Dave

Hi Dave...welcome aboard.
I got the LBK for Christmas also with the WCPA. Mine has been in the bottle for a week now. I put mine into 12 oz bottles also. And I agree, it was fun. Gonna give them another 3 weeks before I open one up.

My second batch is the St Patricks Irish Stout. I just started it a couple of days ago, so it's still going.

Hope you stick around cause there is a lot to learn and everyone here is very helpful. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

Welcome Dave!! looks like most of us got our lbk's at Christmas. I have about a week left in my standard American Blond that came in the kit(lagering) and am on day 5 of fermentation for my version of Cowboy Honey. I nicknamed it Honey Badger cause i really didnt care what i tossed in or what quantity so im eager to see how it comes out. lol

Thanks duck & badger.

I haven't made it to gentiles yet, but the Mrs stopped by there to get me a capper and some caps. Might have to buy some of there liquid malt. Seems pretty inexpensive. Maybe after a few more Mr. Beer refills.

The guys at Gentiles are pretty willing to help with questions especially if they see someone staring at the products with a deer in the headlights expression! lol and that was just trying to pick a yeast that wasnt from under the can lid. :laugh:

BadgerBrew wrote:

The guys at Gentiles are pretty willing to help with questions

I agree. i was talking with a guy there that suggested using 1 LB DME instead of the booster and the Windsor yeast for my Irish Stout that is in the LBK right now. He took the time to explain what the differences were also. Very helpful!

Your irish stout sounds like it will be awesome good. Did you do a yeast starter for your Windsor yeast? Was it dry or liquid?

I hope it turns out awesome good too. The yeast was dry. I didn't start or rehydrate it. The pouch was 11 grams and I just dumped in about 3/4 of it. Let it sit on top for 5 minutes, then stirred the heck out of it. 24 hours later I had a kraussen layer about 1/2 inch thick on top.

Mmm_beer wrote:

Your irish stout sounds like it will be awesome good. Did you do a yeast starter for your Windsor yeast? Was it dry or liquid?

I grew up in the Columbus area (Powell/Worthington end of town) and still have some family there, I'll have to see if they know of any good brew pubs.

Regarding the yeast, windsor is a dry yeast...you can do a starter but it's not necessary, a proper rehydration is sufficient. And just an FYI, it's not the best attenuating yeast out there, so plan for that in your recipe.

Cheers!

Brewpub, like Columbus Brewing Company? IMO they make the best beers in the world. (Well, I haven't tried my own yet :o) ...another long week and a half!)

Not sure if by definition they are a brewpub, but they make their own and they are a pub (and a great restauraunt).

Just started my 1st batch less than 1 hour ago. Probably too soon to try it :(

Things I have learned from this site and from a friend sure made making this first try relaxing and fun.

Sure would like to buy my Mr. Beer refills locally (central Ohio).

Slater's Hardware in Lancaster has some homebrewers supplies but not Mr. Beer specific as I understand.

I appreiate all I have gotten from the site so far. Thanks

Welcome BeerFriend
What area are you in??? I work in Lancaster and have bought some things from Slater's. They do not sell MB stuff. Their selection is just OK for other supplies, but I think you can get better hands on help at Gentile's.

There is a BBB (Bed, Bath and Beyond) in Pickerington and the Kitchen Collection in the River Valley Mall sells a couple of basic refills if your looking for MB refills.

Another Hilliard brewer here slowly getting into the obsession. Fairly new to the area, just moved here in early may from the beautiful Toledo, OH (sarcasm noted). Bought all my equipment in January, started brewing in April, Just brewed my 4th 5th and 6th batch yesterday.

Brewpubs in the columbus area that I have been to are Elevator, Barley's, and Gordon Biersch. Still planning to head to CBC and BJ's someday soon.

Favorite craft brew bars are definitely World of Beer (500+ craft beers) and Hal and Al's (home of the Parson St 30 beers in 30 days challenge). Both places pride themselves on getting in beers out of the norm and I have met some really great people there.

Cheers :chug:

I live in Dayton and work at The Ohio State University. Go Bucks!!!

Dustin and Badger, and anybody else in the Columbus area, any time you want to get together for some beers let me know. I'm sure we could get BeerRx in on it too.

BeerRx and I met up with LouieMacGoo a few weeks back and had a great time.

Born in Columbus, lived there til I was 25 then went into the Navy. Still have family there though and visit them when I can. I live now in Georgia but have always considered myself a Buckeye!

"bucknut" post=277941 said:

Born in Columbus, lived there til I was 25 then went into the Navy. Still have family there though and visit them when I can. I live now in Georgia but have always considered myself a Buckeye!

OH

"BlackDuck" post=298680 said:

I O

ditto!!

Can't wait for tomorrow when we put a whopping on that "team from up north" GO BUCKS!

I may be away from home, but home's not away from me. Go Bucks! :banana:

"bucknut" post=277941 said:

Sorry to hear that... :)

"bucknut" post=298701 said:

"BlackDuck" post=298680 said:

I O

ditto!!

Can't wait for tomorrow when we put a whopping on that "team from up north" GO BUCKS!

That "team from up north" is MICHIGAN. M-I-C-H-I-G-A-N. The winningest college football program in the country. The largest stadium in the U.S. The largest football stadium in the world. The team with a lifetime winning record against OHIO. However, your team does have more tattoos... :)

Seriously, should be a good game tomorrow. You guys have a great record this year, and will be tough to beat.

What is 100 yards long and has 2 front teeth? - The front row at Ohio Stadium. :laugh:

A Buckeye and a Wolverine are in the third grade. Who is bigger? - The Ohio kid. He's 16... :lol:

Why do OSU grads hang their diplomas from their rear view mirrors? - So they can park in the handicapped spaces... :silly:

What's the only sign of intelligent life in Columbus? - Ann Arbor - 187 miles.. :woohoo:

A Buckeye quarterback, linebacker and running back are in a car. Who is driving? - A police officer... :banana:

Ok, I'm done. :gulp:

"RickBeer" post=298719 said:

What is 100 yards long and has 2 front teeth? - The front row at Ohio Stadium. :laugh:

A Buckeye and a Wolverine are in the third grade. Who is bigger? - The Ohio kid. He's 16... :lol:

Why do OSU grads hang their diplomas from their rear view mirrors? - So they can park in the handicapped spaces... :silly:

What's the only sign of intelligent life in Columbus? - Ann Arbor - 187 miles.. :woohoo:

A Buckeye quarterback, linebacker and running back are in a car. Who is driving? - A police officer... :banana:

Hahahahaha, OK those are some pretty good ones, but here I got one for ya...

[attachment=9485]scoreboard.jpg[/attachment]

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

"bucknut" post=298725 said:

One? Thought we had like 7 of the last 8 of those....

"Gizmo" post=298726 said:

"bucknut" post=298725 said:

One? Thought we had like 7 of the last 8 of those....

In-case you couldn't see the score board
Michigan - 32
Appalachian State - 34

Oh, and here's another pic from that game, I have it as my desktop wallpaper.

[attachment=9486]michigan-fans-big-house.jpg[/attachment]

I started hasseling him the other day so he had to come here and give some back. LOL! I will be a GREAT game tomorrow. I have my beer ready

"Dustin" post=277825 said:

Cough, cough...

"RickBeer" post=318144 said:

Cough, cough...

Hey RickBeer....not sure if you saw this or not GO BUCKS!!!!

"BlackDuck" post=318955 said:

"RickBeer" post=318144 said:

Cough, cough...

Hey RickBeer....not sure if you saw this or not GO BUCKS!!!!

Blah, blah.... :lol:

This weekend I am starting my first non Mr.Beer batch and going with a Brewers Best American Amber kit I was given. After reading the directions I noticed I have to crush the grains. Has anyone had an issue using the grinder at Gentiles in Cbus?? do they charge for using it with your own stuff??

:cheers:

I shop regularly at Gentiles. No issues with their grinder at all. It's self serve. I would really be surprised if they charge you to grind your own stuff. They are a great bunch of people running that place. I was told that I could buy bulk grains there and bring the measured amount per recipe back to grind at a later date if I wanted to. They sell Brewers Best kits too. Will this be your first trip to the store??

Definitely not my first trip there hahahah. I live about 6 min away from Gentiles by trabue. I knew they had the brew kits and the ingredient kits but wasnt sure how they worked their bulk stuff.

Give it a go...I don't think they will care at all. Good luck...I will most likely be up there on Friday evening getting stuff for Sunday's brew!

I will surely be giving Gentiles a try. I have been wanting to branch out and get away from the kits, and try my hand at brewing from scratch. Thank you guys for the good info.

HI All! Born and raised London, Ohio. Currently living in Springfield, Ohio.  My first batch of Classic American ale completed just last week. Learned quickly that patience is a virtue LOL  took a couple bottles and placed them in the fridge over night after a couple days after carbonation completed. when I popped them open, they had great carbonation, but was very yeasty smelling and tasting and very fizzy, almost like soda pop. they were drinkable, but I was hope I just jumped the gun and this was not how the final product should be. So I began an experiment. as a couple days passed, I would place 2 more beers in the fridge and try them the next night. There was a significant change in the beer each time I did that, FOR THE BETTER!! I was so happy and amazed how just waiting can make so much a difference. The flavors started smoothing out, the beer itself cleared up, the yeast flavor and smell dissipated and it developed a good foam head to it. My second batch is currently fermenting. I'm taking a go at  an Apple Brown Beery. So far so good! I'll be more patient this time around LOL  Nice to meet you all here! Are there any homebrewer clubs or groups in mid ohio???