Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
chalkjhawk79

Total "noob" question - why use sugar from malt?

This is a total noobie question but it's been bugging me since I started researching how beer is brewed. There is a whole process for germinating malt barley in order to get the starches/sugars out of it in order for the yeast to consume.

My question is...what's the big difference between using the sugars from the malt and simply using plain ol' table sugar? I have no doubt there's a logical explanation for going through the long process of using malt in order to get the sugar from it, but I'm just curious why? Thanks!!

Guest System Admin

Flavor!

Pretty much Mead is fermenting sugar to make wine (Honey is 84% sugar) and when making mead you add other stuff to get the flavor profile you want.

Different malt has different flavors also non-fermentables that add body to the beer

In addition to Flavor (which is probably the more important) is the fermentability of the sugars.

Toby mentions that Honey is about 84% fermentable. Pure Table Sugar is probably 100%...or something like that. The starches and sugars produced from steeping and mashing grains is going to be less than that. Take a grain and put it in water...that entire seed/grain will not completely dissolve. A good portion of the sugars in there will, but you'll also get the starch and flavor and other characteristics. For example, some starches may have a nutty or coffee roast flavor to them. All of that goes into making a beer abeer versus sugar water.

welcome to the borg chalkjhawk79 :cheers:

and now you know the difference between sugar from malt vs adjuncts. get out there and brew dude brew. :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

A bunch of malt gives you beery flavors and body and mouthfeel. A bunch of sugar gives you watered down 151 flavors with no body and no mouthfeel. I'd take beery flavors, body, mouthfeel any day!

Yeast also produces different flavors when it metabolizes different sugars. The flavors it contributes when fermenting maltose are going to be very different from what it burps out when eating sucrose; and, as has been said, there are a lot more sugars, both fermentable and unfermentable, and flavor compounds present in wort than in sugar water. Can you ferment sugar water? You betcha! It'll ferment just great. Will you want to drink it?..... Maybe not so much if you're not in high school or prison. :throwup:

mashani wrote:

A bunch of sugar gives you watered down 151 flavors with no body and no mouthfeel.

151?!?! Flaming Dr. Peppers for everybody!
:hammer: :hammer: