Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Violator

Booster replacement

I have been reading that alot of people choose to limit the amount of booster or eliminate it all together. I see the premium refills don't use booster at all while the standard recipes do. Is this due to the 2nd can of HME used? I see others adding honey to the recipe instead of booster. Is the booster basically "food" for the yeast? I'm planning on brewing the Golden Harp Ale next and wonder if I should limit or eliminate the booster. Or is the recipe that comes with the refill a good choice? I have an extra can of the West Coast Pale Ale that I thought I could use instead of booster. Good idea or not?

Guest System Admin

If your doing a recipe that calls for booster and is first time you may want to stay with the recipe to see what you think then do the science project based on what you think.

Harp has 1 HME + 1 UME + 1 booster so your malt ratio will be fine.

I use booster still, it is not a bad thing if used in moderation

+1 to Trollbys advice.

if you do the deluxe recipes, you will notice that they generally dont have the booster either. they have HME and UME (unhopped malt extract). and in my experience, they are just as good as the premium refills. i brew the deluxe WCPA refill every three months (normally as is) but one in a while i "hop it up". this refill is also and all malt refill and has no booster. :)

The reason many people don't like Booster is that it doesn't add body, flavor and mouthfeel the way malt does. But it does contain unfermentable sugars, so, although it's still an adjunct, it's not going to thin the beer and add cidery tastes as much as simple sugars (and honey is a simple sugar) that are basically 100% fermentable.

If you want to replace the Booster, replace it with UME, not honey. As already pointed out, the Booster is okay iof it's used with enough malt.