Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Screwy Brewer

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Clone

This past Saturday I brewed up 5 gallons of this all grain Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Clone recipe taken right from the Brew 365 website. I've brewed quite a few all grain IPAs using a few different recipes before but this time I just wanted to see if a true SNPA recipe has been out there hiding in plain site all along.

Grain Bill (70% Efficiency assumed)

10 lbs. - 2 Row Pale Malt
1.25 lbs. - Crystal Malt (60L)
Hop Schedule (33 IBU)

1/3 oz. - Magnum - 60 min.
1/2 oz. - Perle - 30 min.
1 oz. - Cascade - 10 min.
2 oz. - Cascade - at flameout
Yeast

White Labs California Ale Yeast (WLP001) - 1800 ml starter
Mash/Sparge/Boil

Mash at 153° for 60 min.
Sparge as usual
Cool and ferment at 65° to 68°

All six of my LBKs are now full and busy fermenting beer, four Oktoberfest Lagers and the remaining two fermenting what I hope is a perfect SNPA clone. I'll have to wait another 4 weeks before I know but it'll give me something else to think about as my lagers lager.

Be interested to hear (better to taste :) ) how this turns out, as I like the SV PA...now you need to find a SV Torpedo clone ;)

I can't wait to hear how this turns out. SNPA and Hazed and Infused by Boulder Beer are my two favorite Pale Ales and both are probably in my top 5 brews overall.

Just thought you might like this one too, it was first published in BYO Magazine back in 2009. I haven't brewed this one yet though, but the last Witbier they published came out absolutely amazing.

From the September 2009 BYO

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA Clone
5 gallons - all-grain

OG = 1.070
FG = 1.018
IBU = 70
SRM = 11
ABV = 7.2%

Ingredients

14 lbs pale malt
11 oz caramel malt (60 degrees L)

1.2 oz of 14% AA Magnum hops (60 mins)
1.0 oz Magnum hops (5 mins)
1.0 oz Crystal hops (5 mins)
.67 oz Magnum hops (dry hop)
.67 oz Crystal hops (dry hops)
.67 oz Citra hops (dry hops)

Yeast: White Labs WLP001 or Wyeast 1056 American Ale

Mash at 152 degrees. Boil for 90 minutes. Ferment at 68 degrees. Dry hop for 10 days to 2 weeks or use a Sierra Nevada "torpedo" to add hop character.

I've read good things about that SNPA recipe Screwy. Will be interested to hear your results as SNPA is one of my favorites.

Sierra is pretty forthcoming as to their ingredients, and their malt bills tend to be pretty simple. They're fun beers to try and clone. The one thing I've never seen them reveal is their water profile, which of course is the toughest element to duplicate. I've got an SNPA clone conditioning myself. Pretty yummy so far with a curiously spicy note. I used a 93%/7% two row to crystal 60* to get to the right color with a 77% efficiency. 7 AAUs Magnum for 60. 4 AAU's Perle for 30. 6 AAUs Cascade for 10 and 11 AAUs Cascade dry. That gave me 38 IBUs by Tinseth, but I figured what the hey, I like a bit more hop bite anyway.

I've never seen what method of IBU calculation Sierra uses either. I'd be curious to know since different methods can vary quite a lot.

Sounds nice, i too love a few sierra nevadas...i was curious though, as i am still quite novice to the craft, any way this could be done with extract? i dont have the time or the equipment to do anything other than extracts and hop boils? i guess just a pale ale extract with the same hop schedule would be a good start.

powers1334 wrote:

Sounds nice, i too love a few sierra nevadas...i was curious though, as i am still quite novice to the craft, any way this could be done with extract? i dont have the time or the equipment to do anything other than extracts and hop boils? i guess just a pale ale extract with the same hop schedule would be a good start.

I would think if you just subbed some pale DME for the two row and steeped the crystal 60 and then did the hop boil as stated you would get pretty close.

how much pale dme would you suggest? for five gallons? also, with a 2.5 gallon, would the hop schedule and amounts remain the same?

For a 2.5 gallon batch, I figure about 3 pound DME and 0.3 lbs crystal 60. Problem is that light DME (and LME for that matter) is darker than two row, so if you want more crystal character you may want to try crytal 40 with an extract batch. In that case, I get 2.9 lbs DME and 0.4 lbs crystal 40. Both of those combinations give you the right gravity and very close color, and can be doubled for a five gallon batch.

For the hop schedule, alter proportionally as well. You can use more hops with extract to get the same bittering that you do with AG.

I've really started liking the BrewMate program. It allows you to adjust recipes, efficiencies, percentages, amounts, etc. very easily. For instance if you enter a recipe for five gallons, then realize that you will only be bottling 4.5 when you account for what is lost to trub, you can simply increase the volume, and it will use the ingredient percentages to proportionally increase your ingredients. You can lock the ingredients and play with the other factors, or use percentages of ingredients, and it will figure out the weights. It's a little more involved than QBrew, but much more versatile, especially for converting recipes. Unlike QBrew, it remembers your settings (such as mash efficiency, apparent attuenuation particular yeasts etc.) for each particular recipe. For instance, I get 83% mash efficiency with one malt and 77% with another. If I change the settings in QBrew to reflect that, it changes ALL the recipes I've done, so unless I've made a note of what QBrew's program projected for this or that when I typed in the recipe, I may never know exactly what that recipe was designed as after I've changed the settings. BrewMate does not have that flaw. And it's free.

www.brewmate.net

You are awesome Oly..I appreciate the input, and the link...i will definately try this when i officially make my move...last two brews are to be bottled before the first so i can take bottles and not kegs. Thanks again!!!

Screwy Brewer wrote:

This past Saturday I brewed up 5 gallons of this all grain Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Clone recipe taken right from the Brew 365 website. I've brewed quite a few all grain IPAs using a few different recipes before but this time I just wanted to see if a true SNPA recipe has been out there hiding in plain site all along.

Hop Schedule (33 IBU)

Yeast

Mash/Sparge/Boil

Mash at 153° for 60 min.
Sparge as usual

All six of my LBKs are now full and busy fermenting beer, four Oktoberfest Lagers and the remaining two fermenting what I hope is a perfect SNPA clone. I'll have to wait another 4 weeks before I know but it'll give me something else to think about as my lagers lager.

Thanks for the link Screwy! I brewed this one today... no Magnum at the LHBS, so I used Zythos (10.9% AA) for the bittering, N. Brewer instead of the Perle (cause I had some on hand already), & plenty of Cascade hops to finish. I also used some Canadian malt: Gambrinus Pale Malt with Briess Crystal 60L, with Wyeast 1056 (mfg: 1/10/12) pitched into the aerated wort.
Starting off with an OG: 1.048 SNPA_Clone_small.JPG

I think I will give this one a try tomorrow since I have the day off.......It will let me try out my new Mash Tun that I built yesterday. :woohoo:

My two LBKs are now in their second week of fermentation they smell absolutely amazing, I'll be taking my final gravity readings later this week so I can taste the progress. So many beers, so little time.

Screwy Brewer wrote:

My two LBKs are now in their second week of fermentation they smell absolutely amazing, I'll be taking my final gravity readings later this week so I can taste the progress. So many beers, so little time.

I can't help you with your time issue, but I can help you lessen your beers :woohoo:

I kegged and bottled this batch today, the color is kind of hard to tell since it's still pretty cloudy with all the hops that went into the recipe. This is one beer that will benefit from a good long cold crash. The flavor came interestingly close the original SNPA with two weeks of carbonation this should be ready to drink by the middle or end of February.

This is another recipe added to my house favorites list which seems to never stop growing.

losman26 wrote:

Have you ever tried forced carbing? If I had kegs, I'd probably do it that way.

I tried it a few times when I first got my Co2 setup and corny kegs. It's really not that hard to do just cranked the gauges up to 30 psi and gave the keg a few good shakes once or twice a day. After about a week and a half it was all carbed and ready to drink.

These days I'm content to add my priming sugar solution to the kegs when filling them up with beer and just hook them up after two weeks at room temperature.

Tried a sample of my latest IPA yesterday, well two actually, while they were both minimally carbonated after a week in the bottles they were extremely good tasting. An invitingly delicious blend of hops combined with a non-obtrusive pale malt backbone, this my friends is heaven in a glass.

I'm not at all bothered by the fact that the finished beer was a darker reddish color than a real Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, it just means going lighter on the specialty grains the next time.

Screwy Brewer wrote:

Tried a sample of my latest IPA yesterday, well two actually, while they were both minimally carbonated after a week in the bottles they were extremely good tasting. An invitingly delicious blend of hops combined with a non-obtrusive pale malt backbone, this my friends is heaven in a glass.
quote]

Just took another reading on my batch, looks like this one is ready to bottle, FG: 1.000. It looks like it's going to be a good one!

SNPA_Clone_FG.JPG

This SNPA clone recipe rocks! Popped open one, and it is so tasty, I opened a second one. Love those Cascade hops... 5 out of 5 stars. SNPA_Small.JPG

This beer was a huge hit with all the hop heads I know, they all loved the up front hop flavors and aromas that hit you squarely in the face once you lifted the glass up to take a sip making it another house favorite.

Screwy Brewer wrote:

Hop Schedule (33 IBU)

Yeast

Mash/Sparge/Boil

Mash at 153° for 60 min.
Sparge as usual

Looks awesome. I would love to clone a SNPA. Can all ingredients be cut in half for a 2.5 gallon BIAB batch? Could this be done with BIAB or should more grains be added to compensate for lost efficiency?

OikoEco wrote:

Looks awesome. I would love to clone a SNPA. Can all ingredients be cut in half for a 2.5 gallon BIAB batch? Could this be done with BIAB or should more grains be added to compensate for lost efficiency?

That really depends on what your efficiency is. Going from a mash tun to BIAB shouldn't affect the recipe itself at all. I run about 78% on my efficiency doing BIAB so I could adjust accordingly - you'd need to do the same based on your efficiency.

Screwy Brewer wrote:

This beer was a huge hit with all the hop heads I know, they all loved the up front hop flavors and aromas that hit you squarely in the face once you lifted the glass up to take a sip making it another house favorite.

Brewed another LBK batch of this one. I think this recipe will be in steady rotation on my brew schedule this year.

I'm planning to brew another batch on Saturday, this one is definitely a house favorite. To be a house favorite means that I like the way it turned out and I have to hear guests ask if there's any of 'that one' left? I'm glad you like too Rebel_B.

Hmmm, I may try this later this week via BIAB. To lighten the color to a more exact tone, what would you suggest? BTW, I had rather have the right flavor vs the right color. ;)

"Screwy Brewer" post=245491 said:

Just use Crystal 10 or 20 that'll lighten it up just right.

Yes, here's a picture of the SNPA clone I brewed on 3/6/12. I used Crystal 20L instead of the 60L on this one & it has a very nice pale color & tastes great!

[attachment=7707]SNPA_Small_MrB.JPG[/attachment]