Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
comfort241

Bottleing

When it comes time to bottle. Is it best to bottle the way they said by tipping the bottle, or should I invest in a locking spigot and wand combo?

comfort241 wrote:

When it comes time to bottle. Is it best to bottle the way they said by tipping the bottle, or should I invest in a locking spigot and wand combo?

If the beer is already in the fermenter, it's a moot point. You need to have the locking spigot in place before using the bottling wand. I think the locking spigots at out of stock now, too.

So definitely tip your bottle when filling as to eliminate as much air going into it as possible.

I never got the locking spigots or bottling wand.
But, I've only ever heard good things about them, and it does seem a better way ... I've just never bothered, and am very used to the standard spigots ... yes, tip bottle and splash as little as possible.

I never got bad beer, so with a modicum of care, the standard spigot won't oxygenate too much. But, the wand is better. When the locking spigots are back in stock if ever, maybe I'll get them ... I'll need four of them and a wand.

But like I say, after 159 batches with the standard spigots, I don't see a major downside to them.

Bottling wand not only bottom fills the bottles, it also leaves just the right amound of space behind when it is removed.