Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Guest System Admin

Did I Ruin My First Batch

Guest System Admin

Because of warmer temps outdoors this winter my furnace has not turned on very often. Which has left the temp indoors a bit on the cool side. I believe it has been between 66 and 68 degrees for the most part so tried wrapping it in blankets for the last 3 days.
I brewed my first batch and started fermenting it on Dec. 31., and today, Jan 11, I put some in a glass and it is extremely cloudy
It sort of smells like beer but does not look like beer.
Is it a lost cause? Should I scrap it and start again?

samt2 wrote:

Because of warmer temps outdoors this winter my furnace has not turned on very often. Which has left the temp indoors a bit on the cool side. I believe it has been between 66 and 68 degrees for the most part so tried wrapping it in blankets for the last 3 days.
I brewed my first batch and started fermenting it on Dec. 31., and today, Jan 11, I put some in a glass and it is extremely cloudy
It sort of smells like beer but does not look like beer.
Is it a lost cause? Should I scrap it and start again?

Those are perfect fermentation temperatures.

Guest System Admin

thanks for the reply

temps are good..........I wld read the simple guidlines. There is good info. For starters, try giving all batches between 2-3 weeks fermenting..........then sample and bottle......

Also allow at least 4 weeks of carb-conditioning time in the bottle at those same temps....then toss one in fridge to settle all those floaties......

Paitence.....

Guest System Admin

Thank you for the reply and advice. I did read in the instructions where it said 68 degrees was the low end recommended for fermentation.
In my situation 68 degrees was at the high end and in fact the temp may have been a little lower for most of the time. That is what had me worried.
I will give it 3 weeks as you say. Is there a time when I should not expect it to be so cloudy?

Give it 3 wk's b4 bottling, then another 4 weeks at room temp in the bottle, then toss one (gently) into the ice box for a few days. Drink. Shouldn't be too cloudy at that point unless you tilt the sediment back into it. The sediment will have had time by now to feel the effects of gravity and settle to the bottom of the bottle.