Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
GarretSTL

Plastic vs Glass

I'm sure this has been asked at length on this forum from time to time, but would it be better for me to purchase a new set of Mr. Beer plastic bottles or save the pry-off glass bottles after I drink them?

It's really just a matter of personal preference. I like glass. Some people use both so they can feel the plastic to gauge the carbonation.

oly wrote:

It's really just a matter of personal preference. I like glass. Some people use both so they can feel the plastic to gauge the carbonation.

Yup, I like plastic ;)

GarretSTL wrote:

I'm sure this has been asked at length on this forum from time to time, but would it be better for me to purchase a new set of Mr. Beer plastic bottles or save the pry-off glass bottles after I drink them?

Yes.

I use glass exclusively. 12oz, 16oz, 22oz, 750ml. IMHO plastic is for sodas, water, and little green army men.

My first brew was done in the plastic PET bottles because it was a cheaper way for me to try out brewing. Once I got my feet wet, I bought a case of 12 oz glass bottles and have bottled in them ever since. To save money, I enlisted the help of friends and family to save all of their empty beer bottles (pry offs only haha) and give them to me. I have quite a stash right now...

Luckily I have 10 gallons of beer that will soon occupy some of those lonely bottles... :gulp:

I used to use glass, I currently am using mostly Coopers PETs (740ML). They are the perfect size for me and my consumption habbits, and have not have had any trouble with carb or oxidation in beers that I've had in them, even ones that are over 9 months old now.

I use Glass and have not used plastic but like others have said it's all preference, I asked my friends and family to save pry offs for me and now I'm swimming in a sea of bottles... I probably have 20+ cases to use...

"Better" is what's better for you. I've always used glass, but that's because of my own preference, storage habits, and drinking habits.

Eventually you'll settle on what works best for you and your circumstances, and that will become what is better for you.

I use both plastic and glass. Depends on what's availble at bottling time. I am also starting to Keg and I have one Party Pig (Christmas Present). I guess I am all over the Board. I think eventually I will want to move more into kegging. B)

Brew-tality wrote:

10 gallons?? geez, what ru using to ferment that in???

:laugh: Sorry, 10 gallons brewing total. I did two separate 5 gallon batches. I used a 5 gallon bucket and 5 gallon better bottle as a secondary.

One I just bottled and the other I transferred to the secondary last night. The one I bottle was my first brew steeping grains and dry hopping, the second batch was my first attempt at an all grain beer. Can't wait to see how they both turn out :banana:

I like and prefer glass...but acknowledge that it's obviously easier to reuse plastic. I don't mean refuse...I mean store for late. You're not going to put the bottle-top back on a glass bottle, but it's very easy to screw the top back on a screw off plastic bottle

How many times can you re-cap a glass bottle? Can you only use it once more? If so you would just have to keep collecting glass bottles?

In that sense it seems like plastic would be EASIER, but glass would be IDEAL.

You can recap a glass bottle right up until you break it.

GOF wrote:

You can recap a glass bottle right up until you break it.

lol. nothing quite so refreshing as a shot of common sense.

I try to bottle in glass except for one PET bottle per batch that I use to monitor the carbonation. Something about the capping of glass bottles that I enjoy.

I have been using the same glass for the better part of two years. Recapped them several times, and never broke one...

I don't taste a difference in the plastic or glass, but I prefer glass, more presentable, more professional looking. I have a lot of PET's I'm not using and I was going to give them away, but I might start filling some of them again, they do work good.

Guest System Admin

When I first started brewing I used glass, with the MB I'm using the plastic bottles that I got in the kit. I drink a lot of beer, so the liter bottles will last me quite some time in one pass. Guess it's just a matter of personal preference. They are easy to check carbonation though! Also don't have to keep running out and buying caps.

blippbeer wrote:

I try to bottle in glass except for one PET bottle per batch that I use to monitor the carbonation. Something about the capping of glass bottles that I enjoy.

I do the same, except, I use two 12 ounce soda bottles (not root beer). I rinse them with cold water before cleaning to keep the smell from setting in. When it's ready to drink, I give them to a friend that has a hard time saving bottles.

I don't know enough yet to make a judgement I can just go by life.....soda in glass bottles tastes better. The only time I've had beer in plastic bottles it's been garbage beer at ball games which is horrible to begin with but just seemed to be even more horrible...

I am concerned that, especially with lots of conditioning time and there is alcohol in it.....won't it eat away at the plastic a bit? Won't it eventually impart some sort of plastic taste into the beer?

Fee wrote:

I don't know enough yet to make a judgement I can just go by life.....soda in glass bottles tastes better. The only time I've had beer in plastic bottles it's been garbage beer at ball games which is horrible to begin with but just seemed to be even more horrible...

I am concerned that, especially with lots of conditioning time and there is alcohol in it.....won't it eat away at the plastic a bit? Won't it eventually impart some sort of plastic taste into the beer?

Well it is important you use PET plastic bottles/soda bottles. PET is extremely tough as it is food grade and used commonly in the industry. It is a pretty good chemical resistance so it won't break down (effect taste) unless it has liquids 200+F

I use 1/2 glass, 1/2 plastic. Never seen a difference in taste or shelf life. Glass looks better if you give someone a gift of beer. Plastic is nice in that you can drink part of a bottle, screw the cap back on and have the rest tomorrow.

I have a few 1/2 Gal brewery jugs with a screwable lid (unfortunately the brewery is a little to far to get a refill at the moment). Acceptable to bottle in? photo1.jpg

I've got roughly 70 glass bottles and the 8 L PET bottles and have taken to bottling 2 of the PETs and 16 glass bottles, give or take, per batch. This should give 4 batches before I'm at capacity, which by then I'll hopefully have acquired more bottles.

As far as preference, I think glass looks better, and if I was going to give away a few it would be the glass variety, but since I'll be drinking 90% of my brew in a chalice/glass (I missed the Stella give away, so I guess mine is simply a glass :( ) then I don't think it will matter. I also think the PET will give me a good idea of carbonation, since I can feel the bottles to see if they are firming up/etc..

Guest System Admin

I like glass but have a ton of PET bottles.

I mainly use Glass 12oz but also use my 16oz swing-tops often too. I mainly use the PET for testers.

I did not like the large PET with the kit because I felt the beer was gone too quick since only get 8 bottles per batch. Also if I just wanted one glass I had the rest of the liter open, and found that pouring it all at once gave a better beer (No sediment).

I really like that Mr. Beer now has 16oz PET, just wish the kits had them rather than the 1 lt bottles

I like glass because I can put em in the oven and bake em the night before bottling. Makes for one less step on bottling day.

STOUTASAURUS wrote:

What’s the life expectancy of a plastic container?

Indefinitely, as long as they aren't damaged. The caps, however, need to be changed periodically. Not sure how often, though. After my first batch, any plastic I use is disposed of after one use.

Gymrat wrote:

I like glass because I can put em in the oven and bake em the night before bottling. Makes for one less step on bottling day.

Well... you can put the plastics in the oven, but...

plastic-bottle-blowing-hand.jpg

;)

Slick2887 wrote:

Brew-tality wrote:

10 gallons?? geez, what ru using to ferment that in???

:laugh: Sorry, 10 gallons brewing total. I did two separate 5 gallon batches. I used a 5 gallon bucket and 5 gallon better bottle as a secondary.

One I just bottled and the other I transferred to the secondary last night. The one I bottle was my first brew steeping grains and dry hopping, the second batch was my first attempt at an all grain beer. Can't wait to see how they both turn out :banana:

oh, ok. lol. I'd like to eventually get into doing large batches at a time, but I'm still waiting on my first brew to finish. Its in bottles right now, just waiting. hope your AG batch is awesome. good luck.