Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
jcubz

2 HMEs

So I have my first batch of Mr.Beer brand beer about to be bottled and im eager to experiment. I dont want to wait to try more. the problem is im waiting for my Mr.Beer stuff to ship/arrive and so I went and bought a different brand which is Hopped Malt Extract but it's set up for 23L.

It came with yeast etc. but would that be way too much to put in the LBK? If I put the whole can in the LBK it would be like using 3 HMEs with as much yeast. Is there anyway I can use it with the LBK or should I try splitting it or get a 5 Gallon bucket . . or .. or .. or what??

23L is close to 6 gallons or slightly over. You could split that bad boy in 3 LBKs........ or 2
As far as thinking its to much yeast....don't worry about it.......you have to over pitch A LOT of yeast before its can do any kind of damage to your brew (learned that from radio podcasts)....under pitching is more of a problem I believe.

Ps. Look into the recipe collaboration thread in the community drain pipe section

its an "Australian Pilsener".. So you think I would have to wait for another LBK. Would it be way too much to have the equivalent of three HMEs in one LBK?

I like strong beer, ie Harp, Guiness (taste not neccesarily abv) but this might be too crazy.

It doesnt have much information. But it does say I should add 1kg of Dextrose (which I have) so that would increase the abv so I was thinking that without adding any extra sugar/dextrose maybe it would be ok with just the HMEs..

Also the Mr.Beer boosters are just dextrose right?

I was told to use dextrose to increase abv and prime..

jcubz wrote:

It doesnt have much information. But it does say I should add 1kg of Dextrose (which I have) so that would increase the abv so I was thinking that without adding any extra sugar/dextrose maybe it would be ok with just the HMEs..

Also the Mr.Beer boosters are just dextrose right?

I was told to use dextrose to increase abv and prime..

Booster is more than just dextrose. It's a mixture of fermentable and unfermentable sugars.

What's the brand name of this HME? Do you have a link to what you bought m
?

Sometimes it works to use the HME in a smaller batch, sometimes it needs to be split.

You probably have a 3+ pound can of HME. If you read the instructions, it is suggested that at least 2lbs of DME (dry malt) should be added when making the 23 liters so just splitting the can amongst 3 LBK will produce a very low ABV and watery beer.

I've used a large can of HMEs from Coopers a few times in the LBK. The beer will be approximately 6.5% ABV. If you do use the entire can, expect the bitterness of the hops to be higher than expected for a specific style since the extract is bittered for 23L. Also, expect longer conditioning times as well. I made a batch of Coopers Cervesa and I wasn't wild about it until it was in the bottle for 6 months.

You could also make 2 batches by using half the can and add a pound of DME. Store the unused HME in the fridge until ready for batch 2.