Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
jhyoung09

Conditioning?

Guest System Admin

Yup. Try one at 4 weeks than try another at 8 weeks.

Monkeyman wrote:

Yup. Try one at 4 weeks than try another at 8 weeks.

Then another at 12, if there are any left... :blush:

Once you get a pipeline built up, it will be easier to let them condition longer.

I'm new with only a few batches under my belt but my first batch I fermented for 1 week and conditioned for 1 week and the beer was good. My second batch I fermented for two weeks and conditioned for two weeks and the beer was noticeably better in fact it was much better and it looked better to.

No need for me to chime in, other than to reinforce the posts above. The difference between four weeks and eight weeks can be dramatic! huge! amazing! A barely drinkable still green beer can become THE ONE in that period.

Try your beers early. Note their progress from time to time. You will learn very quickly (well, in geological terms anyway) to discern the flavor of a green beer, and one that has reached it's prime.

jhyoung09 wrote:

Does conditioning your beer really help it's taste? is it really worth the longer wait?

From one Young to another ... yes.

But, often 2-2-2 was fair game for me on the simpler (smash) recipes.

I brewed a red ale last year that I tweaked a bit and at 4 weeks it was not very good at all. I tried it again after 6 weeks and still not so good, I did not really like it that much so I just let it sit. After another 4 or 5 weeks I went to our hunting camp and thought I would bring it along, wait until the fellas had a few beers to wet their whistles then break out the red ale so they could dispose of it for me. I gave one to my brother in law and his first words were "wow, that is awesome beer". I also gave some to his friend and another guy who was there and they all raved about how good the beer was. Now I was curious and had to try it again. To my surprise the beer had transformed from swill to something that to this day is one of my favorite beers I have ever brewed. So the point of my long winded reply is... yes, conditioning really is worth the wait. It takes bad beer and makes it good, then makes good beer great!