Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
comfort241

Locking spigot and wand combo

Mr. Beer has disconnected their locking spigot and wand combo set, does anyone have an extra set i could buy or does anyone know of another website I could get one?

I was chatting last week and was told they'd be in the end of this month. I just thought they were out of stock. Where'd you here they are discontinued?

Nice to see a fellow Who Day on the forum.

yep, the spigot has been discontinued.........not sure where you could get one, might have to wait until the new design comes out

Bummer, I just got a bottling wand that doesn't fit (well, not without extra work) on the stock spigot and was told the shipment was on the way. I wonder why.
No a game changer, stuff happens.

What I plan to do is get a bottling wand from a LHBS, then I'll get a piece of plastic tubing that will fit it, and siphon out of the LBK from the top hole...

Once you get the siphon going, then the bottle wand will work just like if it were on the spigot, the only downside is that the spigot has the weight of the beer behind it, so it would go quicker, the bottle wand on a siphon will only get beer going quickly if you have the LBK a lot higher up than the bottle it's filling... But anyway, that's my plan!

-Scott

Hi fellow brewers...I'm new to the forum and wanted to share this with you. I saw that the new and improved keg spigots were out of stock. Tonight I noticed they have been discontinued. I checked on eBay and saw them there. This is the link. Good luck and will be on here in the future. You are a great group!!

What! So much for waiting to make that next order... Time to make a tool time improvement. Patent pending of course!

I think it was a week or so ago I was told by Mr Beer that they thought they would be in by the end of January. Could it be that the old one is discontinued and they are getting ready introduce the new one?

scbrooks87 wrote:

What I plan to do is get a bottling wand from a LHBS, then I'll get a piece of plastic tubing that will fit it, and siphon out of the LBK from the top hole...

Once you get the siphon going, then the bottle wand will work just like if it were on the spigot, the only downside is that the spigot has the weight of the beer behind it, so it would go quicker, the bottle wand on a siphon will only get beer going quickly if you have the LBK a lot higher up than the bottle it's filling... But anyway, that's my plan!

-Scott

Be careful you don't pick up stuff off the bottom.

scbrooks87 wrote:

-Scott

That method works great...

Mr Beer must have a plan "B". I can't imagine that they would discontinue the locking spigot. The locking spigot is really a necessity when your bottling beer. I hope MR Beer responds to this thread.

lanz2005 wrote:

Mr Beer must have a plan "B". I can't imagine that they would discontinue the locking spigot. The locking spigot is really a necessity when your bottling beer. I hope MR Beer responds to this thread.

They have a plan B. They had a bunch of us test a new design a while back. The testing showed the new spigot to be good in general, but did uncover a flaw, which they said they'd address. My guess is that it has taken more time to fix that flaw than anticipated.

I like the spigot we tested and I'd use it on all my LBKs.

bpgreen wrote:

lanz2005 wrote:

They have a plan B. They had a bunch of us test a new design a while back. The testing showed the new spigot to be good in general, but did uncover a flaw, which they said they'd address. My guess is that it has taken more time to fix that flaw than anticipated.

I like the spigot we tested and I'd use it on all my LBKs.

good call. thanks

I'v ordered a couple and received them yesterday. It's made by the same company as the one Mr Beer was selling.Installed one to my LBK to check for fit and leaking. Works great.

I didn't like the test spigot for sole reason you can't take it apart to clean it. That's a big nono in my books. So I hope they don't go with that one.

Customer service told me they should be in by end of the month.

I'm guessing they took them off the website in preparation to put up the new model when they're ready.

And I *really* hope that's the case, because I'm not getting more than one of my LBKs going at a time until I get a locking spigot and a bottling wand, and I am NOT going to drill the hole bigger, dagnabbit.

mnstarzz13 wrote:

Can you post a pic SD30? I've only ever seen the locking spigot disassembled.

Oooops, going to be a couple of weeks. Forgot I had it in use spiggtt.jpg

BugLaden wrote:

I didn't like the test spigot for sole reason you can't take it apart to clean it. That's a big nono in my books. So I hope they don't go with that one.

Why can't you take it apart? Will I get in trouble because I took mine apart?

SmokeDiver3zero wrote:

mnstarzz13 wrote:

Oooops, going to be a couple of weeks. Forgot I had it in use

oh come on! LOL :P

Guest System Admin

Rstanley4 wrote:

I saw this on homebrewtalk's forum last week, it's an old post but I plan on trying it with my LBKs.

Mr. Beer keg improvements

This doesn't look like a bad idea, my only fear is won't the weight of the valve crack the LBK at some point?

mainegoer72 wrote:

Rstanley4 wrote:

I saw this on homebrewtalk's forum last week, it's an old post but I plan on trying it with my LBKs.

This doesn't look like a bad idea, my only fear is won't the weight of the valve crack the LBK at some point?

I can't imagine the new valve weighing that much to actually do that much harm.. I mean yea the LBKs arent exactly super high quality lol but I dont think they are THAT cheaply made.

To all looking for a locking spigot. The Tomlinson ceramic crock lever faucet is the trick. You can get them from numerous vendors on both E-Bay and Amazon.

Mr Congeniality wrote:

To all looking for a locking spigot. The Tomlinson ceramic crock lever faucet is the trick. You can get them from numerous vendors on both E-Bay and Amazon.

Do you know if the bottling wand will work with that spigot?

It looked suspiciously close to the one once offered so I have one on the way. It is for a 3/4" hole which fits the fermenter and has a 1" nipple. I tried an experiment and the wand fit the spigot on the water cooler at work (which is the same type spigot) so I feel pretty confident on this one.

Mr Congeniality wrote:

It looked suspiciously close to the one once offered so I have one on the way. It is for a 3/4" hole which fits the fermenter and has a 1" nipple. I tried an experiment and the wand fit the spigot on the water cooler at work (which is the same type spigot) so I feel pretty confident on this one.

lol I can only imagine what a weirdo your coworkers think you are :P. Nice detective work though.

Since I mentioned and showed the link, not to long ago, from eBay on this thread, I've received 2 that I ordered. I'm using one now on a brew in my LBK. It's made by the same company,Tomlinson, as the discontinued lockout spigot. Check it out. Good brewing!!

Thanks for this. I just ordered 3. My LHBS doesn't have anything like this to work on the LBK.
I hope the Mr. Beer folks are working on a better option as the stock spigot is not going to last too long IMO.

You're very welcome. I also checked the wand and it works great with the spigot. Actually it is the same spigot Mr Beer was selling. Brew On and Enjoy!!

mainegoer72 wrote:

Rstanley4 wrote:

I tried that a long time ago. After the first batch or two, I got tired of the original spigot, and the replacement was out of stock on the Mr Beer website.

It works, but you can't take it apart to clean it. Since I already had the hole drilled out, I just got a few extra spigots from my LHBS like the ones I use on my 5 gallon setup. They work great with the bottling wand that came with my 5 gallon kit.

However, if I had to do it all over again, I would just go with the Mr Beer type of locking spigots. Getting the hole drilled just right was a pain, and the LBK that I do have the locking spigot on works just fine.

Those things being constantly out of stock means that they're pretty popular, just like some of the seasonals, eh? :)

Guest System Admin

WOW!

I thought they were upgrading the spigot not removing it completely.

This is a very bad step BACKWARDS!

The locking spigot is the only reason I have not stopped using the LBK, I mean if I had to fight with the standard spigot I would of bought a bottling bucket from my LHBS and the LBK would be on the shelf.

They need to either bring back the locking spigot or replace the original with something better

all good but to ship 3 is going to cost 15 dollars thats a rip off on postage!

d3EP wrote:

It's free shipping (USPS) I got my reply back and the total was $23.73 complete. If you ask for another shipping method, you will have to pay for it.

Beer-lord wrote:

d3EP wrote:

It's free shipping (USPS) I got my reply back and the total was $23.73 complete. If you ask for another shipping method, you will have to pay for it.

For e-bay or amazon?

EDIT never mind I found it on ebay it was 17 and some change including shipping for 3 of them

Also you can get them with free shipping from http://foryourwater.com/FYWF/F0100.html
free shipping and it works out to be the same price.

thanks for this guys i can get rid of those crappy metal valves that have sealing problems. too bad mr beer ran out of these i would have bought them from here

Spoke to customer service on phone, they said they are getting a new lock open spigot and wand by end of month, still not on web site.

Emoss9371 wrote:

Spoke to customer service on phone, they said they are getting a new lock open spigot and wand by end of month, still not on web site.

I hope this is true because I've been eyeballing the bottling wand and spigot for a while now! MUST HAVE NEW GADGETS :side:

mnstarzz13 wrote:

SmokeDiver3zero wrote:

mnstarzz13 wrote:

Oooops, going to be a couple of weeks. Forgot I had it in use

oh come on! LOL :P

If we were playing chess, it would be your move.....

MBspigt.jpg

Guest System Admin

checkmate

can you buy those

Just got my 3 I ordered in via eBay and it does fit and doesn't appear to leak. However, I only tried the LBK full of water and not under any minimal fermenting pressure.
Should be making more brew this weekend and will try it but it'll be 3 weeks before I actually use it with the wand. Still, these things look much more durable and will likely last much longer.
$7.91 with shipping....not too shabby!

Yes, I'm happy with the one I have put on my second LBK. I've had a brew fermenting for a week and no leaks. Working great! I tried fitting the wand and fits very well, just like the original one I purched from Mr Beer.

Guest System Admin

I guess I got lucky since I ordered a spare when I ordered one for each of my kegs (have 5 locking spigots)

I bought 3 of the replacement spigots on ebay and put them on 2 LBK's this weekend and brewed 2 batches. On both, after fermentation started, there was 1 drop of liquid each that escaped. I guess the pressure of the gas pushed it out.
I'll keep an eye on these 2 and see if any more comes out but as the worst of the fermenting in one is over, I think I'm good.
I'm thinking of dipping a Q-tip in Star Sans just in case.