Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
jhyoung09

Question

I just bottle my first batch last night, and was talking to my buddy who helps me out, and he asked me something, "What if we used distilled water instead, would it be better and not have the off taste of bottled water?" so i have now came to u all after doing a little searching and not finding anything. What do u think Distilled water, or is that just over kill?

If you think you're getting bad flavor contributions from your tap water, by all means use distilled water. You can't really use much of it in all-grain brewing without adjusting it, though.

Using good water always helps to better the quality of your beer. But to be fair to history, many monks in the middle ages brewed beer with water that, in essence, was scum from a duck pond, and a semi-recent study has shown that many avid beer drinkers liked the taste of that beer over many brands you can buy at most bars. So part of it is indeed the water you use, but most of it is the ingredients (besides water) and the method in which you brew. Watch the movie " How Beer Saved the World" for more info. If you have netflix, just search and it will pop up, its a streaming vid, so no worries there.

I don't cook with wine I wouldn't drink, so I don't brew with water I wouldn't drink. I like my tap water, so I use that, it's also free. On one occasion, I used bottled water. Being a water drinker, I know there is a big diffetence between bottled waters. Buy a couple of singles and you'll see what I mean. Some of the high priced water has some really bad off flavors. Some of the cheaper waters have very good flavors. If you want to use bottled water, invest in a couple bottles, and pick the one you like best.

I'm not an expert by all means (I've only brewed 1 batch myself), but everything I've read so far would suggest that distilled water would be very unfavorable. There are various other chemicals/minerals in water that help impart a final flavor to your beer. Water chemistry seems to be another important part of the brew. Since distilled water has most 'impurities' taken out, it might have a negative effect on your final product. I would say find a bottled water that you prefer the taste of over distilled.

Distilled,R.O. or spring water all work for extract brewing...
if you go All Grain then spring water...
Many people use filtered tap water however I live in an area where that is not an option..

I've read where distilled water is ok for extract brews, mainly because the extract has all the minerials needed. Distilled water is lacking minerals, but can be used in all grain brews. Spring water is highly recommended and that's what I use. I hope this was helpful. Enjoy your homebrew!

Water is important as it's the main ingredient in beer.
Fluoride is bad, water softeners - NG - Spring water is best. I have well water which works great. :gofish: :cheers:

There are a couple of things to keep in mind here. First and foremost, not all bottle water is the same. Aquafina, Dasani,etc that are sold by the soda companies have EVERYTHING stripped from them then have mineral salts added back for a better flavor. These companies got into the business because they had to get the water as pure as possible to ensure consistency between bottling plants. Arrowhead and the like are spring water, they won't have the chlorine, flouride,etc that your city water will.

Will the Aquafina type waters make a bad beer? I don't know, but they are going to have sodium bicarbonate, magenesium sulfate, potassium chloride,etc added back to them. So there are minerals in them, they just aren't the same minerals that are in the water from your tap.