Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
MedWonk

WCPA progress

So, I'm making the simple booster WCPA recipe, and after 3 weeks of fermentation, I have two FG readings of 1.010, and a decent tasting flat pale ale (which I was pleasantly surprised by). The OG reading was 1.034.

Does that sound like a good FG?

MedWonk wrote:

So, I'm making the simple booster WCPA recipe, and after 3 weeks of fermentation, I have two FG readings of 1.010, and a decent tasting flat pale ale (which I was pleasantly surprised by). The OG reading was 1.034.

It's done, bottle that sucka. Its off by 2 points, but that's fine. Did you temp correct? Either way, it's not going to get any lower after 3 weeks, the FG is the same for 2 days in a row. Taste like flat booze, bottle away.

I think the temperature was fine. There were a couple of times where the temp dropped to about 66* (couldn't have been at that temp for more than 12 hours), but most of the time I've maintained the temp 70* to 72*. Whoever came up with keeping the LBK in a cooler and controlling temp with bottles of water was a genius.

MedWonk wrote:

I think the temperature was fine. There were a couple of times where the temp dropped to about 66* (couldn't have been at that temp for more than 12 hours), but most of the time I've maintained the temp 70* to 72*. Whoever came up with keeping the LBK in a cooler and controlling temp with bottles of water was a genius.

In my opinion, you should try to brew a little cooler than that.

bpgreen wrote:

Really? Aren't the MB yeast packets supposed to be between 68 and 76? Wouldn't putting the temp lower risk stopping fermentation?

MedWonk wrote:

bpgreen wrote:

Really? Aren't the MB yeast packets supposed to be between 68 and 76? Wouldn't putting the temp lower risk stopping fermentation?

Agree with bp. Mid 60's is ideal.

gophers6 wrote:

MedWonk wrote:

bpgreen wrote:

Agree with bp. Mid 60's is ideal.

3rd. I try to keep mine between 64-66*

MedWonk wrote:

bpgreen wrote:

The Mr Beer booklet does show 68-76 as the ideal temperature range. I like a cleaner fermentation, so I brew at lower temperatures. It may take longer at lower temperatures, and once the first week is past, it's fine to let temps rise, but the Mr Beer yeast will ferment fine in the mid 60s. It's more tolerant of higher temperatures than a lot of other yeasts, and fermenting at higher temperatures will ferment faster, but when you get into the mid 70s or so, you're likely to get some esters even with the Mr Beer yeast.

bpgreen wrote:

MedWonk wrote:

bpgreen wrote:

The Mr Beer booklet does show 68-76 as the ideal temperature range. I like a cleaner fermentation, so I brew at lower temperatures. It may take longer at lower temperatures, and once the first week is past, it's fine to let temps rise, but the Mr Beer yeast will ferment fine in the mid 60s. It's more tolerant of higher temperatures than a lot of other yeasts, and fermenting at higher temperatures will ferment faster, but when you get into the mid 70s or so, you're likely to get some esters even with the Mr Beer yeast.

Cool. I'll keep this in mind for my next brew, not least because fermenting at a lower temp will be a lot easier.

FrozenInTime wrote:

MedWonk wrote:

It's done, bottle that sucka. Its off by 2 points, but that's fine. Did you temp correct?

+1 on the temp adjust. Hydrometers are calibrated to a specific temperature of the beer (often 60*.). If you measure at a different temp you need to adjust the measurement. There are a bunch of calculators out there, just google for hydrometer adjustment. A 10* difference could adjust a little over .1 point.