Jump to content
Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
MedWonk

WCPA progress

Recommended Posts

So, I'm making the simple booster WCPA recipe, and after 3 weeks of fermentation, I have two FG readings of 1.010, and a decent tasting flat pale ale (which I was pleasantly surprised by). The OG reading was 1.034.

Does that sound like a good FG?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest

MedWonk wrote:

So, I'm making the simple booster WCPA recipe, and after 3 weeks of fermentation, I have two FG readings of 1.010, and a decent tasting flat pale ale (which I was pleasantly surprised by). The OG reading was 1.034.

Does that sound like a good FG?

It's done, bottle that sucka. Its off by 2 points, but that's fine. Did you temp correct? Either way, it's not going to get any lower after 3 weeks, the FG is the same for 2 days in a row. Taste like flat booze, bottle away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the temperature was fine. There were a couple of times where the temp dropped to about 66* (couldn't have been at that temp for more than 12 hours), but most of the time I've maintained the temp 70* to 72*. Whoever came up with keeping the LBK in a cooler and controlling temp with bottles of water was a genius.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MedWonk wrote:

I think the temperature was fine. There were a couple of times where the temp dropped to about 66* (couldn't have been at that temp for more than 12 hours), but most of the time I've maintained the temp 70* to 72*. Whoever came up with keeping the LBK in a cooler and controlling temp with bottles of water was a genius.


In my opinion, you should try to brew a little cooler than that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

bpgreen wrote:

In my opinion, you should try to brew a little cooler than that.

Really? Aren't the MB yeast packets supposed to be between 68 and 76? Wouldn't putting the temp lower risk stopping fermentation?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MedWonk wrote:

bpgreen wrote:

In my opinion, you should try to brew a little cooler than that.

Really? Aren't the MB yeast packets supposed to be between 68 and 76? Wouldn't putting the temp lower risk stopping fermentation?


Agree with bp. Mid 60's is ideal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

gophers6 wrote:

MedWonk wrote:

bpgreen wrote:

In my opinion, you should try to brew a little cooler than that.

Really? Aren't the MB yeast packets supposed to be between 68 and 76? Wouldn't putting the temp lower risk stopping fermentation?


Agree with bp. Mid 60's is ideal.

3rd. I try to keep mine between 64-66*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MedWonk wrote:

bpgreen wrote:


In my opinion, you should try to brew a little cooler than that.

Really? Aren't the MB yeast packets supposed to be between 68 and 76? Wouldn't putting the temp lower risk stopping fermentation?

The Mr Beer booklet does show 68-76 as the ideal temperature range. I like a cleaner fermentation, so I brew at lower temperatures. It may take longer at lower temperatures, and once the first week is past, it's fine to let temps rise, but the Mr Beer yeast will ferment fine in the mid 60s. It's more tolerant of higher temperatures than a lot of other yeasts, and fermenting at higher temperatures will ferment faster, but when you get into the mid 70s or so, you're likely to get some esters even with the Mr Beer yeast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

bpgreen wrote:

MedWonk wrote:

bpgreen wrote:


In my opinion, you should try to brew a little cooler than that.

Really? Aren't the MB yeast packets supposed to be between 68 and 76? Wouldn't putting the temp lower risk stopping fermentation?

The Mr Beer booklet does show 68-76 as the ideal temperature range. I like a cleaner fermentation, so I brew at lower temperatures. It may take longer at lower temperatures, and once the first week is past, it's fine to let temps rise, but the Mr Beer yeast will ferment fine in the mid 60s. It's more tolerant of higher temperatures than a lot of other yeasts, and fermenting at higher temperatures will ferment faster, but when you get into the mid 70s or so, you're likely to get some esters even with the Mr Beer yeast.

Cool. I'll keep this in mind for my next brew, not least because fermenting at a lower temp will be a lot easier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FrozenInTime wrote:

MedWonk wrote:

So, I'm making the simple booster WCPA recipe, and after 3 weeks of fermentation, I have two FG readings of 1.010, and a decent tasting flat pale ale (which I was pleasantly surprised by). The OG reading was 1.034.

Does that sound like a good FG?

It's done, bottle that sucka. Its off by 2 points, but that's fine. Did you temp correct?


+1 on the temp adjust. Hydrometers are calibrated to a specific temperature of the beer (often 60*.). If you measure at a different temp you need to adjust the measurement. There are a bunch of calculators out there, just google for hydrometer adjustment. A 10* difference could adjust a little over .1 point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...