Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
RollTide

Fruit question

I really like the taste of lime in beer and would like to know if I could substitute fresh lime juice for sugar when priming the bottles. Or should I forget adding lime during the process and just add a slice of lime when drinking. Thanks for any info anyone can provide.

RollTide wrote:

I really like the taste of lime in beer and would like to know if I could substitute fresh lime juice for sugar when priming the bottles. Or should I forget adding lime during the process and just add a slice of lime when drinking. Thanks for any info anyone can provide.

It might be difficult to figure out how much to use for priming. You'd need to check the per serving amount of sugar and then use that to calculate the amount of lime juice to use to get the same as if you used white sugar.

And even then, there's no guarantee that you'll get a lot of lime flavor from it.

I would check the cooking/spices aisle and see if there's a lime extract that you could use.

RollTide wrote:

Best batch I ever made with Mr. Beer extracts, hands down, is a lime beer. I added lime zest and juice at flameout along with the extracts. I can dig up the recipe if you want. I would not try to prime with it; way too much of a pain in the ass for me and has the potential to be inconsistent.