Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
craigger64

Too Much Coriander?

I'll be bottling my abbey dubbel tomorrow. I sampled it today and the extra 1/4 tsp of coriander that i added made a HUGE difference. There is A LOT of coriander flavor. I'm wondering if this will condition out. I brewed abbey dubbel before, and it improved quite a bit with extended conditioning anyway. I used the proper amount of coriander the first time around but this time for some dumb reason I decided to bump it up a bit.

Does anyone else have experience with going too heavy on the coriander? Did it mellow with some conditioning?

hey craigger. I use corriander in the candian ale that i make. My LHB sells corriander seeds in 1oz packets I have used that each time in the mulsin sack while the boil takes place and i have found that it has a subtle corriander taste after the 2-2-2

hey Boxerbrewing38, we're almost neighbors! Your LHBS wouldn't be Keystone, would it? An oz equals about 6 tsp. which is A LOT of coriander! i only used 3/4 of a tsp instead of 1/2 and i noticed way more coriander flavor than i thought i would. i don't remember how much coriander i tasted when i bottle my first batch of abbey dubbel, but now after a long time conditioning it's not very noticeable, so i'm guessing that it should mellow out over time.

Honestly, Take two teaspoonfuls of freshly ground coriander seeds and then boil them for 10 minutes before adding in your extracts and wow!
To me that is the perfect amount of coriander induced citrusy goodness I'd ever want to add to my beer. That also works perfectly in a wheat beer, some Belgian yeast and maybe a hint of cardamom's peppery heat.

I'm going to go pour me one right now.

Guest System Admin

Damn Screwy your making me thirsty!

Guest System Admin

craigger64 wrote:

i only used 3/4 of a tsp instead of 1/2 and i noticed way more coriander flavor than i thought i would.

I used 3/4 tsp in one batch and it was stronger than I expected/hoped. The brew got consumed pretty quickly this summer due to a couple of parties, so it didn't hang around long enough to see if the flavor would fade with time.