Sign in to follow this  
jonson123

Pellet Hops???

Got my brew club order and this is what i got for beer:

1. Classic Blonde Ale Deluxe

2. Cowboy Golden Lager Standard

3. High Country Canadian Draft Standard

4. West Coast Pale Ale Deluxe

Question is that I also got Glacier Pellet Hops 1/2 ounce and im wondering what beer i should put it in and also that i keep my house temp between 69 to 70 degrees. i got the hops for the west coast pale ale but figured i better ask the pro's

No i just picked stuff. That dose sound good but i did not order hop sack. Anyway I can get by that or to use something else for a hop sack?

jonson123 wrote:

No i just picked stuff. That dose sound good but i did not order hop sack. Anyway I can get by that or to use something else for a hop sack?

I've never used a hop sack.

jonson123 wrote:

as in you use the hops without the hop sack?

Yep. Hop naked!

Called going commando. Brewer's choice. You'll find the Borg pretty split in their opinions of whether or not to use the sack. They WILL settle down into the trub. I prefer to use muslin sacks, but again, that is personal preference and not because it's better or worse. I've used both with great success.

I asked my LHBS about pellets versus fresh hop leaves, obviously you know the size of bag 1oz of pellets comes in. The fresh hops bag was about 20 times bigger! With fresh you'd be crazy not to use a hop bag but for pellets I've never had a problem just adding them. They will settle to the bottom, especially if you cold crash before bottling.

Guest System Admin

jonson123 wrote:

kool thanx for the help ready to start brewing tomorrow going to do the 2-2-2 week method for it

If you have extra Fromunda yeast I would use it, I like 3 packs min for my brews now after trying different amounts. But 2 would be fine if that was all you had or even one, but I think the beer taste better faster with more than 1 Fromunda yeast.