Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Dustin

5 gallons of HCCD

Ok, I just got done brewing 5 gallons of HCCD + a few tweeks.

Here it is.

3 cans of HCCD HME

1.5 bags of booster

2 pounds of light DME

OG = 1.055

EFG = 1.013

Yeast = WLP051

Here is a picture of me aerating my beer with pure oxygen.

407910_357786484248325_100000509295199_1

Looks like your beer might have emphysema w/ that tank. Might it be a smoked porter? I use the small oxygen cylinders you can get at the home improvement stores.

genotype wrote:

Looks like your beer might have emphysema w/ that tank. Might it be a smoked porter? I use the small oxygen cylinders you can get at the home improvement stores.

No unfortunately my daughter is on oxygen for her health issues and we have three of those tanks so I just highjacked a few minutes off one of the free tanks we are not using.

I hope it works.

SmokingTony wrote:

I am pretty sure you are going to have really good beer.

I hope so. I pitched yeast at 70 and WLP051 ferments at 68 and its at 68 right now. I am getting ready for bed so I hope when I get up the yeast are churning away.

So I woke up this morning and no activity from yeast as of yet. Its been 13 hours. I am having a hard time maintaining 68 degrees. Does this hurt anything or just makes the process longer. My temps have been anywhere from 60 - 70 but I am trying to find a place that I can maintain at 68.

I found a place that is holding a solid 65 degrees do you think this will work for WLP051. According to White Labs web site 68 is optimum temp but I just cant get that anywhere in the house.

UPDATE

I am calming down now. It is now 16 hours since I pitched my WLP051 and I am now seeing bubbles from the blow off hose and activity inside the carboy.

I worry too much I guess.

I am making another 5 gallons tonight that will put me at 14 gallons of beer either fermenting or conditioning. I think that will get my pipeline started. I drank my first two Mr Beer batches way too fast so I had to really ramp up brewing.

haha thats awesome dustin. I wanna brew some larger batches eventually, but I'm still on my first lbk right now. It'll probably be a while until I have a pipeline going. hope your beer turns out great man.

I probably got way ahead of myself because I got Mr. Beer right before Christmas and as soon as it was sitting in the LBK I was online looking for 5 gallon brewing kits. Three days later I was brewing a 5 gallon batch of wheat beer which is in bottles now. I'm really hoping it all turns out ok. Truth be told I should have probably stuck with MB batches for a while but as always I always get in over my head in almost everything.

The key thing to remember with your yeast is that the "optimum temperature range" is just that: the optimum temperature range. You'll get the best results if you stay within that range, but straying outside of it a little bit over or under won't ruin your beer. It's better to have it a little too cool than too hot, since the latter can produce off-flavors.

But the yeast will work at 65 even if the optimum range begins at 68. It just might take a little longer for things to get started, and to reach Final Gravity, as well. Do you have a hydrometer? If not, I'd strongly advise it. For such a small investment, it's a very valuable tool for the homebrewer.

Good luck with this batch, and all your subsequent batches!

Yes I have a hydrometer that came with my 5 gallon kit. I took an OG and it was spot on what QBrew said it would be. I'm just impatient and now that I see thing bubbling I'm cool now.

Thanks

I just love me a good fermentation. I read somewhere that it's easy to over oxygenate your green beer when aerating using pure oxygen, which can later cause issues with head retention. Most brewer's shoot for between 8-10ppm, I think 8ppm is the highest oxygen level we can get without using pure oxygen.

Dustin wrote:

genotype wrote:

No unfortunately my daughter is on oxygen for her health issues and we have three of those tanks so I just highjacked a few minutes off one of the free tanks we are not using.

I hope it works.

I hope you didn't take any offense from my comment. It was meant to be humorous and in no way did I intend for it to be taken any other way. Oxygenation is the way to go. Achieves more O2 ppm than any other method.

I hope you didn't take any offense from my comment. It was meant to be humorous and in no way did I intend for it to be taken any other way. Oxygenation is the way to go. Achieves more O2 ppm than any other method.

Absolutely no offense taken. I was just explaining the big oxygen tank I was using is my daughters but we have so much oxygen we always have extra O2 it allows me to steal a few minutes from batch to batch.

No worries man nothing you said offended me whatsoever.

Dustin wrote:

Ok, I just got done brewing 5 gallons of HCCD + a few tweeks.

Here it is.

3 cans of HCCD HME

1.5 bags of booster

2 pounds of light DME

OG = 1.055

EFG = 1.013

Yeast = WLP051

Here is a picture of me aerating my beer with pure oxygen.

407910_357786484248325_100000509295199_1

Fermenting UPDATE:

Wow what a difference 24 hours makes. I was so worried about this WLP051 and how slow it was going and worrying about my temps being too low. Well 24 hours later I am now seeing foam in the blow-off hose and the yeast are defiantly doing their job.

I think I can learn to simply wait and be patient from now on.