Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
HoppyDaze

Cleveland

Are you new to brewing?

I have done a few of the Brewers Best kits over the past few years and consider my self a novice...always learning

Yep :) My first batch (WCPA) is starting on it's 3rd week of fermenting, anxiously waiting to bottle my first brew!

Just ordered my second batch, Chocolate Covered Cherries (for my wife) from MB site, and a second LBK for a Pilothouse Pilsner I also got. :)

I'm reading these threads like crazy, always learning too.

My first MB was the WCPA also which I will bottle next week. :woohoo: I have 3 Spice Lemon Weiz in my second LBK. The Brewers Best kits are 5 gal batches which makes 40 bottles. I like the smaller batches because it gives me more variety and takes up less space.

Olmsted falls here. I just drank my first creation last night and it tasted surprisingly well. I should have read these forums before doing anything because I jumped the gun on fermenting but being premature is still tasted good. I am wondering if there is any place that sells hops around Cleveland... I heard maybe westlake but I'm not 100% sure. have you guys heard anything?

Cheers

There is a LHBS in Mentor if you are ever out that way. It's called Brew Mentor.

I haven't been there yet, but from my understanding they carry quite a bit of stuff, including hops, grains and yeasts.

Welcome Scubalatious!! Glad to see another Cleveland area person!

The LHBS that is closest to you is JW Dover (www.jwdover.com) on Detroit (near Columbia and Detroit). I have been there a lot to get beer and wine supplies and they are pretty informative. They have a fair amount of supplies and are pretty well stocked with hops. The next closest is Rozi's Wine House (www.rozis.com) in Lakewood but I have not been there yet. A couple of other places are Leeners (www.leeners.com) in Northfield and if you dont mind the trip, Grape and Granery (www.grapeandgranary.com) in Akron. GG is a hard core home brew shop that has or can get just about anything you need.

Have fun!
:chug:

wrote:

Welcome Scubalatious!! Glad to see another Cleveland area person!

The LHBS that is closest to you is JW Dover (www.jwdover.com) on Detroit (near Columbia and Detroit). I have been there a lot to get beer and wine supplies and they are pretty informative. They have a fair amount of supplies and are pretty well stocked with hops. The next closest is Rozi's Wine House (www.rozis.com) in Lakewood but I have not been there yet. A couple of other places are Leeners (www.leeners.com) in Northfield and if you dont mind the trip, Grape and Granery (www.grapeandgranary.com) in Akron. GG is a hard core home brew shop that has or can get just about anything you need.

Have fun!
:chug:

Wadsworth, Ohio here. I am into this now for a little over a year. I am now moving on from extracts into grains slowly. The only advice I give you with this hobby is patience, patience, and more patience. Once you get a good pipeline going it will be easier to wait, but it is a hobby that requires a lot of waiting around. I still buy some from Mr. Beer but I am now creating my own recipes. I shop at the grape and granary because it is about 20 minutes from my house. I concur that it is hardcore. They do sell Mr. Beer products and the people working do not trash it like some other LHBS. The people are very helpful. If anybody has any specific questions, please feel free to shoot me a PM. Brew On!!! :barman:

Thanks for the info Scottbrew! I didnt realize GG sold Mr B products and need to check that out the next time I'M there. I guess since they sell the stuff they must feel it is a worthy product unlike some of the other LHBS. The Mr Beer process is new to me but I have done quite a few Brewers Best kits. I haven't tried my hand at AG yet but thats next on the agenda. I think I am going to try the BIAB method and see how that goes.

I'm in Sandusky, Ohio and new to the obsession. The local homebrew is within walking distance of my house but doesn't sell MRB products.

Welcome Birdman! I have heard about the new shop in Sandusky and will check them out soon.. what are your thoughts?? are they pretty well stocked?

I don't use grain yet so I didn't take a real good look at that section but they seem to have the supplies I will need like a hydrometer, bottle brush, capper, caps, sanitizer etc.