Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
FlyingDog

Using Glass Bottles

I want to start using glass bottles for my next few batches. Are there any differences between bottles I would find of the typical beers found in stores? I know I should use darker brown bottles to avoid light exposure, but do some brands need a different sized bottle cap or anything? I don't want to by a bunch of beer and not be able to use the bottles. Also where would be a good place to order a capper and caps from?

Guest System Admin

If your buying new, get a bench capper it is double the cost of wing capper but well worth it.

I got my wing capper free so only reason I got that and not a bench capper well besides I am cheap and have one that works so why buy second capper

Just make sure they are brown glass bottles with pry off caps, not twist off. You can order from MrB, or from your LHBS.

+1 on getting a bench capper. Saves time and you're less likely to have mishaps.

Be aware that some pry-off bottles have what is known as a "double lip". Bass Ale comes in double-lip bottles. Compare a Bass bottle with a Sam Adams bottle, and you'll see the difference.

I bring this up because a wing capper won't work very well on double-lipped bottles. The bench capper will work fine, though, which is another reason in favor the bench capper.

Just thought I'd give you a heads-up.

I love the list of pry offs. My favorites are Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada, and New belgium. I have never bought empty bottles. I always get the bottles with free beer in them. :laugh:
It just takes some oxyclean free, a little hot water and some elbow grease to clean them.

I bought some fat tire tonight to give it a try and for the bottles. Only down side of New Belgum bottles is that they have "New Belgium Brewing" Stamped into them. I suppose it could ruin the presentation aspect. sorta

That list is perfect thanks. What about bottle caps? I've seen stuff like oxygen absorbing caps, does that make much of a difference or should I just go for the cheapest caps?

IMHO, the oxygen caps are only necessary if you are planning an extended cellaring. Though I am drinking a beer right now that I bottled almost 1.5 years ago, and it is capped with a normal cap and seems just fine, so even then it might not be necessary. If you plan to drink them relatively soon, it's probably not necessary either. But, again, that's just IMHO. YMMV...

Trollby wrote:

If your buying new, get a bench capper it is double the cost of wing capper but well worth it.

I got my wing capper free so only reason I got that and not a bench capper well besides I am cheap and have one that works so why buy second capper

What is the difference between the two cappers? And which one does Mr. Beer sell? I bought the "bottling kit" from MB and it came with a case of bottles, caps and the capper. Would that capper be the wing? Also, why not use the twist off bottles? All my friends drink Miller Lite and Bud Light, I figured I'd have a TON of free bottles, but they are all the twist off kind.

krischelj wrote:

Trollby wrote:

What is the difference between the two cappers? And which one does Mr. Beer sell? I bought the "bottling kit" from MB and it came with a case of bottles, caps and the capper. Would that capper be the wing? Also, why not use the twist off bottles? All my friends drink Miller Lite and Bud Light, I figured I'd have a TON of free bottles, but they are all the twist off kind.

Im kinda wondering the same thing. I was gonna have friends save bottles too, My main thing is wasatch brewing and squatters seem to use twist off bottles with a crimped cap on the beer they box and distribute?

amp713 wrote:

krischelj wrote:

Trollby wrote:

Im kinda wondering the same thing. I was gonna have friends save bottles too, My main thing is wasatch brewing and squatters seem to use twist off bottles with a crimped cap on the beer they box and distribute?

Uinta uses pry-offs. Every once in a while, Sam's has 12 packs of seasonal brews from Uinta for about $12.