Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Brian12069

My first brew IPA

Hi everyone. I just tried my first brew, I made the American Devil IPA. I followed all the instructions. It sat in the keg for 2 weeks at 66-70 degrees. I bottled them and I planned on letting it sit for a few weeks but then I got weak. I couldn't wait. I tried one and it was ok but just kind of lite and weak. Is it safe to say if I let these sit my first batch will be OK?

It was in the bottle for only one week. It tasted kind of lite and weak, but not bad. Almost like a lite IPA. I have to assume if I let it sit at room temperature for a couple more weeks it will taste better?

You will be fine Brian. One week is way too early to be testing it - BUT, it is good for tracking the progress. Make some notes about what you smelled, tasted, felt etc. Then in a couple more weeks when you put a couple more in the fridge - make notes, comparison.

It really hasn't had enough time to be done yet. Two weeks in keg is usually the Minimum recommended here in the Borg. Then a Min of 2 weeks in each of bottling phases )not concurrently, so actually another 4 weeks total), THEN start putting them in the fridge a couple at a time.

Take notes, try to notice changes as the beer ages. This will help you find a sweet spot for each particular recipe you make. Also - it will help practice patience. By spacing them out and noticing changes - you have to be patient. Best thing you can do in the meantime is build up your pipeline with more batches and some store bought stuff (try enw styles, harvest bottles).

I think you will enjoy what you have made in a couple more weeks
Cheers
jeff