Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
scubalatious

May have not fermented long enough?

Hello

I am a first time home brewer who cannot wait to taste my creation (wcpa). Aftere reading some of these threads I am worried I may have made a mistake during fermentation. I only let it ferment for 10 days. Is this going to be a problem or am I going to be ok because of the sale of beer? I now know to wait at least two weeks before bottling my brew but is it still going to taste ok? It sounds like if I just let it condition for a few weeks to two month I should be good right? I am on day seven of carbonation today so maybe consume in a month?

I can't wait to learn more. This forum is awesome!

Cheers!

-Steve

I'll say with 95... no... 96% percent certainty you are OK with a 10 day ferment with a basic kit. Did you taste at bottling? If it wasn't sweet, and if it tasted like flat beer, you're okey-dokey. Personally, I would wait for a month before tasting... but who am I kidding? I pulled my first small tester bottle at 12 days back when I did my first. But promise me this... only pull one into the fridge if you decide to fridge them before four weeks. Let the others sit at room temp...

Congrats! You made beer! and welcome...

Welcome to the Borg!

+1 swen

Basic kit, it will be ok. Next kit, go with atleast 2 weeks, 3 is usually better. Just go with 2 weeks carbing at room temp, then another 2 weeks conditioning, again at room temp. Place in fridge a couple days, and enjoy.

+ Another, to the comments already said. You'll be fine! Just chiming in to say Welcome to the borg! Keep reading! Keep posting!! Keep brewing!!!

:charlie:

Tin Man

Look you get pretty close to a case of beer out of a standard MB refill. So you fermented for 10 days...no problem. It's been in the bottles for a week now...no problem go ahead and relieve the tension and taste one of them. It's not like you have to drink it all. If the one you taste is good you can bet that if you wait longer it will just taste better.

Remember this is your first batch of many so go ahead and taste one its not going to hurt anything. I did the absolute minimum on my very first batch and I fermented for one week and bottle/condition for one week then I drank them and guess what they were very good. My second batch I waited and did the 2-2-2 thing and yes they were much better. The batches I have fermenting right now I will let sit for 3 weeks or longer in fermentation and then a month in conditioning.

Just do it.

Welcome! I'm really new at this so I don't have a lot of advise but I can say this, The folks on thia forum are great and won't steer you wrong and if they say it'll be alright I'm confident it will be. No matter what its your beer and that will make it taste that much better! Good luck and hope it turns out great!

If you plan one continuing to brew, invest in a hydrometer.

I give all my batches the two weeks and then use a hydrometer to double check that its done. If I get the same reading two days in a row, I bottle. I've noticed that the temps during fermentation play a huge factor into when the beer is done fermenting. The beers I made over the summer (between 72-74 degrees) took much longer to complete fermenting then the ones I've done in the fall and winter (around 66-68 degrees, usually done after a max of two weeks. Also depends on the recipe (higher OG vs lower OG)

I did the same, followed the mr beer directions & only fermented for a week, it tasted like flat beer so I bottled. Later that same day I discovered this forum & learned a lot.
So anyway after filling the 8 liter bottles, I still had some beer left in the LBK so I made 2, 12oz test bottles. Here is the first one after 1 week fermentation & 2 weeks carbonating.

photobucket-981-1326577373271.jpg

Excellent carbonation, little head retention but excellent flavor with slightly sweet after taste.
Even my wife who doesn't care for BMC beers thinks it's good.

Awesome.

I stuck two bottles in the fridge yesterday just so I could see the difference between conditioning and I think I may twist one open tomorrow and see what's its like. Then keep good notes to compare. Defiantly going to let the rest sit and marinate for a while. Thanks to everyone that replied!

Welcome, guys. Enjoy. Yah everyone lacks patience with their first standard kit. It's ok. You'll have good beer, and soon you'll be making excellent beer.

i had the same worries, and just tried one that spent 10 days in the bottle and 3 in the fridge yesterday and man was it good compared to the 5 day bottle which was very busy and funky.

I have a similar question. Today is day 12 of my firmentation process for my first batch of wcpa. I drew a small amount to try a taste. Seemed a little on the sweet side but still very much like flat beer. Was planning on bottling on day 14. I also tried a small sample on day 9 . It tasted very much alike what I tasted today. Is my yeast done ? It has been kept anywhere between 65-69 room temp.

What I used to do was bottle a tester or two in small glass ginger ale bottles... you could use the 8oz Coke plastics or something similar as well. That way I could get an early test in but wasn't killing an entire big bottle to do so....

swenocha wrote:

What I used to do was bottle a tester or two in small glass ginger ale bottles... you could use the 8oz Coke plastics or something similar as well. That way I could get an early test in but wasn't killing an entire big bottle to do so....

Jeez, wish I had thought of that with my first batch. I was using the 1L PET bottles as samples... :pound:

EDIT: Sorry Gono, I didn't see your question the first time through. If you can wait, I'd wait the full 14 days. The extra time won't hurt anything even if the yeast are completely done. With my first batch of WCPA, I waited 14 days and it turned out good, my next 3 batches I waited 3 weeks before bottling. If you want to know for sure if the beer is done, you can always pick up a Hydrometer. If you get the same reading three days in a row (I just go two because I wait 20-21 days before I even check mine), then you're good to bottle.

It takes the guess work out of when the beer is done fermenting and helps you calculate your beer's ABV (if you do all grain and extract brewing. You can also use for regular Mr. Beer refills)

Thanks for the reply Slick! Ya, I have a hydrometer on the way (in the mail) Ready to get it! Will be using it on my next brew. Hopefully my yeasties are just really slow and not done all together. I really don't want my first brew to be under par.

I have read in a few places on the forums some guys use more than just one fromunda yeast packet in their brews I wonder if this is the reason… may have to try it in the future.

Overall it did taste like beer… Just sweet, flat, beer… lol

Gono wrote:

Thanks for the reply Slick! Ya, I have a hydrometer on the way (in the mail) Ready to get it! Will be using it on my next brew. Hopefully my yeasties are just really slow and not done all together. I really don't want my first brew to be under par.

I have read in a few places on the forums some guys use more than just one fromunda yeast packet in their brews I wonder if this is the reason… may have to try it in the future.

Overall it did taste like beer… Just sweet, flat, beer… lol

If it tatted sweet at bottling, you may have bottled early. It shouldn't rate sweet when you bottle.

If you used the PET bottles, monitor them. If the start to bulge, put them in the fridge immediately.

I started my first brew 14 days ago, I have not tasted yet, but it seems to be very cloudy still. After discovering this forum I am going to wait until the 3rd week before trying to bottle and carb. I found my deluxe kit complete and unopened at a garage sale for $4 and had to try.I can't wait to bottle and start a stout or lager since I like darker beer. If you don't mind answering another question on this forum, will firmenting take longer with old yeast? I don't know how long he had the kit when I bought it?

It will not take longer, however the yeast may be too old. It should have the day of year and year on it. If it was stored in a hot garage or attic it may be unusable.

Do you have a layer of trub on the bottom?

• Like 1