Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Guest System Admin

Probably A Dumb Question

Guest System Admin

I'm just curious about the fact that the MB keg has no airlock for escaping gas. My guess would be that the lid is purposely made to not fit completely tight and that's how the gas escapes. Can anyone confirm that?

No dumb questions here...where the lid screws on you'll notice two little notches. This is your airlock.

If you have a very active fermentation, those notches can become clogged though, which is why you read about the occasional blown lid from a cranberry maibock. If you have overflow, best to loosen the lid to point where it just stays on if it is pushed from below.

Thanks to all for the replies. Makes good sense. I have to confess, I've avoided a beer-making kit like this for decades because I thought they were simply child's play. I used to make very good home made wine with larger-scale crude but effective equipment. But a few attempts at beer making with similarly crude equipment met with mixed results. That was about 20 years ago. After lots of recent research and consideration, Ive come to the conclusion that MB setup is a perfectly valid and legitimate small-scale method of brewing beer. I'm very glad I got the kit for Xmas, and I'm very excited about my first batch that I started. I'm quite sure I'll expand my setup in the future, but this is a truly wonderful start. And this forum is the most valuable part of the entire MB experience, without a doubt.