Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
stealthyelf

question about OVL

I have a question I wanna brew OVL without using the booster what can I use in place of the booster and I want to keep it as a lager not an ale any tips will be appreciated

stealthyelf wrote:

I have a question I wanna brew OVL without using the booster what can I use in place of the booster and I want to keep it as a lager not an ale any tips will be appreciated

Instead of using the booster you can go to your LHBS or order some light or amber DME (Dried malt extract). Use a pound of that stuff in your brew. It works the same way as booster but adds more body and flavor than booster does. You add it to water, bring to a boil, make sure it doesn't over flow, boil for 10 minutes, turn heat off, add OVL HME to the pot, cool, and add to the keg.

Find a lager yeast at the LHBS. Tell them its for an oktoberfest style beer and they should point you in the right direction. Otherwise, order some Danstar Nottingham yeast. You can ferment with that yeast at a lower temp, say high 50's or low 60's and get the same lager characterists, just with an ale yeast.

You can also cut the DME down to 3/4 pound and add a cup of brown sugar that will add a nice molasses flavor too.

I just wanna say--don't wanna sound like an ass but I'm kind of confused with how you worded your OP--will you be fermenting this at lager temperatures?