Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
allenc85

Can I use slimline as a Secondary?

I want to free up my LBK for a new a new batch, but it's 3 weeks won't be up until next Friday, so is it ok to rack it into a Slimline - as long as I sanitize properly and store in a dark closet? I don't see why it shouldn't be and I assume the plastic is ok (it is designed to hold water). Just thought I'd run it by here before I go ahead with it.

I believe someone on another thread asked this a couple weeks ago. I believe the general answer is no because there is no airlock on the slimline.

Racking to a slimline for batch priming is fine since the beer is only in there to mix with the sugar and then is bottled.

Couldn't a person put a few pin-holes to vent out extra CO2 build-up in a slimline? It would be very similar to what was done on the LBK.

It's not just the lack of an airlock that makes the Slimline a poor choice as a fermenter. It's also the kind of plastic that is used. It's food grade, so there are no worries there, but how much oxygen will it let in? And how well will it stand up to having beer in it for any length of time? It's designed for water, but many here use it as a priming container. But there's a big difference in having the brew in it for 30 minutes or so and having it in there for a week or so.

If you need more fermenters, get more fermenters. Or make one from a food grade plastic bucket (these weren't made to be fermenters either, but the plastic is a lot stronger and more suited to beer).

I'll eventually get a 3rd LBK or bucket, I was just trying to use what I had on hand - and take advantage of the cool weather (which in Alabama doesn't last long!)

azmark wrote:

New LBK only 10 bucks, not too much more than the slimline.

$17.95 at Mr Beer - where did you find it for $10?

Also, my problem isn't so much the money, it's I was going with what I had on hand (which I own a Slimline) and trying to start a new batch today (no LHBS).

Just combine it with some extracts/hops/other accessories and don't worry about the shipping. It's the same shipping price whether you buy it with a bunch of stuff or stand alone.

Other than that, I think your out of luck on starting one today unless you want to run to walmart or bed bath and beyond and pick up the cheapest kit they have just to get the LBK.

$10 according to the website I'm looking at:

http://www.mrbeer.com/product-exec/product_id/377

allenc85 wrote:

azmark wrote:

New LBK only 10 bucks, not too much more than the slimline.

$17.95 at Mr Beer - where did you find it for $10?

Also, my problem isn't so much the money, it's I was going with what I had on hand (which I own a Slimline) and trying to start a new batch today (no LHBS).

+1

cjw wrote:

Just combine it with some extracts/hops/other accessories and don't worry about the shipping. It's the same shipping price whether you buy it with a bunch of stuff or stand alone.

Other than that, I think your out of luck on starting one today unless you want to run to walmart or bed bath and beyond and pick up the cheapest kit they have just to get the LBK.