Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
livewirecs

How Many LBK's do you use?

I have just started and I love it! I would like to get a pretty nice pipeline going and was just curious how many LBK's members have.

I settled on 4; 3 for fermenting and one as a bottling bucket. Recently I've really been using them for bottling buckets but I was able to crank out a nice pipeline with 3 going.

Good question! I was curious too........i have 1 and a cider keg. Just starded too.

I'm new to the obsession and I also settled on 4. I would like to do double batches of my favorites some day, and I would like to have one to experiment with. That would leave one more for the bottling. Sounds like a good system. Haven't put it into practice yet, but plan on it.

I have two, but they're both sitting in a closet now and I'm brewing 4 and 5 gallon batches (the last few have been Mr Beer ingredient batches, just larger fermenters).

Guest System Admin

three LBK's and one Pilot Keg from Mr. Beer (6qt clear)

I use a slim line for bottling

I have 3 and I try to keep 2 going during the cooler months and when I have time. The small size saves me time and gets me enough beer to enjoy without going too far overboard (though my wife and son know it's too late for me)

Using 3 here! Helps to get them on good schedules so you can try your new beers in smaller windows!

Looks like the average so far is 3 or 4.......think I will get a slim line for bottling and maybe 3 more LBK.

Hi welcome aboard! I have two with one on its way!Have fun brewing tis is a great hobby B)

I have 4 LBK's. I also have a 6 gal. pale, 6 gal.carboy and 2 - 5 gal carboys. have yet to have them going all at once, although that is my goal. :)

Hi Fellas - I have 3 LBK's & now, a 2.5 gallon corny keg. So 1 batch out of 3 gets kegged. This speeds up my finishing process. Thinking of adding 1 more LBK & 1 more corny. :cheers: R6OMAB7-20120118.JPG

I'm new and I just ordered my second LBK :) I'm hoping that will work for me, but ultimately I'll probably settle on 3. Cheers!

3 LBKs and one slimline for bottling MB sized batches.

1 - 6.5 gallon fermenting bucket and 1-6.5 gallon bottling bucket for 5 gallon batches.

3 drinkable MB batches in the pipeline, 1-5 gallon batch conditioning. Pipeline is building. :gulp:

Need to brew this w/e though. All fermenters empty... :blush:

I have 2 plus a slimline, wishing I had 1 more :(

3 + a priming/bottling bucket makes sense. You can basically designate whichever day is most convenient to you and start a steady pipeline. Designate Sunday as brewing day, and by the 4th Sunday you'd complete a full rotation and be bottling (possibly do this on Saturday) and starting over.

Currently have 2 (having just purchased the second) but now that bottling day is getting near I may be running 2 in the future.

2 LBK's
1 2.5 gallon slim line batch primer
1 6.5 gallon primary bucket
1 6 gallon better bottle secondary
1 6.5 gallon bottling bucket

And a partridge in a pear tree

I have 6 LBKs and they're all full of fermenting ales and lagers right now. 4 of them will be tied up in the refrigerator for at least another month or so as they lager and the other 2 will be bottled this weekend.

Now that I have 2 five gallon mash tuns ready to go I will be researching 5-6 gallon fermentors as I gradually increase my homebrew output.

2 LBK's currently in use and 2 more on the way.
1 6gal Brew Pail,1 6gal bottle bucket,2 6gal Carboys,1 5gal Better Bottle..thought Id try plastic....a LOT lighter when filled than the carboys. I was alternating beer and wine (got to keep the mrs happy!) thats why so many carboys.
:chug:

Just received 6th LBK from MrB last week. Just did a double bottling this weekend and brewed one batch today so 3 have beer in them, and this weekend will do one or two more batches. I have a couple of slimlines for bottling. This will be the last LBKs I buy - if I need to get more I will start getting the bigger sized pails.

At some point I hope to do some 5 gallon batches and just split them between two LBKs - it takes not much longer to do 5 gallons at once than 2.

Cheers
jeff

I have:
- four Mr. B LBKs
- two 3 gallon Better Bottles
- one 6.5 gallon Ale Pail
- one 1 gallon plastic fermenter
- one bottling bucket

Back when I had more time, I'd generally have about three or four of those going at a given time. I went through about six months where zero or one was the norm, but I am currently fermenting in three LBKs as we speak, with plans to get a few more going (and, of course, bottle a few of the fermenting ones) soon. I also intend to keep at least one, but preferably two, lagers going at any given time, with the other fermenters used for ales and the occasional lemonade or weird ferment...

As you progress in this hobby, you may look to transferring the beer to a secondary container for the purpose of bottling. This also is necessary if you ever look towards batch priming.

So far I've got..

3 lbk's
6 gal. better bottle
6 gal. glass carboy
6 gal. ale pail bucket
6 gal. bottling bucket
2 slimlines for batch priming Mr beer batches.
1 gal. glass jug with air lock and stopper for yeast starters, etc.

I have yet to use any of the "big boy" stuff as I want to get a gas stove to do full 5gal boils in my 36qt. pot...Coming soon! ;)

3 LBK's 2 for fermenting and one for bottling.
2 6.5 gal Ale Pails 1 fermenting and one bottling
1 6.5 gal Glass Carboy
1 5 gal glass carboy for secondary

I have 1 LBK. I try to keep down time to a day or so. Wife doesn't drink much and thankfully my 7 year old doesn't drink at all...so far works for me. May get a second so I can do 5 gallon batches split between the two. However, so far keeping one going all the time works for me.

3, will be four once they release the new locking spigot.

Crooked Nose wrote:

I must be missing something here....what are you guys meaning by using one LBK as a bottling bucket?

One LBK is for the fermenting, the other is to bottle out of.

On bottling day you can batch prime, meaning you dilute your total sugar amount in the batch all at once. makes it a little easier. Another great thing is you can siphon it out of the keg A to keg B, leaving a most of the trub behind (especially if you cold crashed it for a few days)

Currently have two going, adding a third soon, I want to get to where I have a fresh batch ready to bottle every week so I have a decent pipeline built up for when I won't have as much time to brew in the summer.

I have 4 LBKs, 1 LGK, a 4 gal bucket, and 1 Slimeline.

Only really keep 2-3 filled at a time.

Not buying anymore until I buy a new liver first.

Cheers!
:chug:

SmokeDiver3zero wrote:

Not buying anymore until I buy a new liver first.

:woohoo: Cheers!
Got along pretty well with 2 for a long time, added #3 just after Thanksgiving to allow for some extra days/weeks that some batches need in the fermenter.

I have 5, 3 for brewing, 1 for batch priming and 1 for sanitizer or backup.

4 - LBK's
1 - 6.5 Fermenting pail
1 - 6.5 Carboy
1 - Bottling bucket

used to have a slimline that I devoted to batch priming the Mr Beer batches, but it, and the beer in it came to an untimely end... :dry:

I usually do the majority of my brewing during the winter as I have more free time, and my storage room in the basement is at a constant 62 degrees. Gets the pipeline stocked for the summer months.

Probably going to fill the last two open LBK's this evening.

Skelly wrote:

4 - LBK's
1 - 6.5 Fermenting pail
1 - 6.5 Carboy
1 - Bottling bucket

used to have a slimline that I devoted to batch priming the Mr Beer batches, but it, and the beer in it came to an untimely end... :dry:

I usually do the majority of my brewing during the winter as I have more free time, and my storage room in the basement is at a constant 62 degrees. Gets the pipeline stocked for the summer months.

How did the slimline come to an end? Did you drop it or did it start leaking/burst/etc?

I have 2 LBKs with brews fermenting. Also have case of half litre bottles carbing and conditioning. Trying to get a line going. Cheers and Brew On!!

I have 10 LBK's. At the beginning of 2011 I was using 8, then 4, the last 2 months I used 3, and now I'm back to using 4.

When I make plans for a family reunion I use all 10 LBK's. three or four LBK's I think is about the average.

I've enjoyed the whole process, and experience of my 285 batches, since 02 June 2007

I've been obsessed since August '11 and I now have 5 LBK's. Once the new locking spigot is available I will probably go up to 6 or 7 and will use one for batch priming or buy a 6 1/2 gal. set up. :party:

I have three, but usually only use two at a time.

My pipeline stays full because I have a five-gallon set-up as well. But before I got that, using all three LBKs did a good job at keeping the pipeline flowing.

bpgreen wrote:

Skelly wrote:

4 - LBK's
1 - 6.5 Fermenting pail
1 - 6.5 Carboy
1 - Bottling bucket

How did the slimline come to an end? Did you drop it or did it start leaking/burst/etc?

Don't think I ever dropped it. It just burst on one of the corners when I was bottling. Only had it in use about 6 months or so.

Similar things have happened to others.

Skelly wrote:

bpgreen wrote:

Skelly wrote:

4 - LBK's
1 - 6.5 Fermenting pail
1 - 6.5 Carboy
1 - Bottling bucket

Don't think I ever dropped it. It just burst on one of the corners when I was bottling. Only had it in use about 6 months or so.

The link is broken (an extra http:// in it) and when I fix it, it goes to a really old thread on least favorite mixes.

But that's kind of why I asked. Every once in a while, people bring up the idea of using the Slimline as a fermenter and I've always been wary of it. It just doesn't seem sturdy enough. If it has a limited life as a priming container, that reinforces my thinking.

Guest System Admin

Hello,
I am brand spanking new at this.
Received my 1st one on Dec. 31st, and brewed my first batch.
Received my 4th one on Jan. 21st, same day I bottled my first batch.
I have 2 batches in their second week of fermentation. Going to brew 2 more batches tomorrow.
Can't wait to actually drink some of it.

Have 1 for the time being. Plan to get at least another plus a 5 gal bucket to bottle. Have a quick question: If I decide to go to 5 gal batches, is it better to use 2 LBKs and split the batch or get a third and split into 3 smaller batches? Curious if stuffing 2.5 gal into each LBK is a problem or maybe expanding to 6 gal would be better. Any thoughts and thanks...

4 LBK's, including one I just gave to my son, so I suppose it's 3 now... ;)

1 slimline for batch priming.

:charlie:

Tin Man

1 keg, fermenting first batch. Waiting patiently for Monday, for the UPS dude delivering my 2nd keg. Bought a slimline yesterday, to batch prime. Dont see a 3rd keg in my future, just yet. But, I didnt see the 2nd one either, and see what happened :)

bpgreen wrote:

Skelly wrote:

bpgreen wrote:

Skelly wrote:

4 - LBK's
1 - 6.5 Fermenting pail
1 - 6.5 Carboy
1 - Bottling bucket

The link is broken (an extra http:// in it) and when I fix it, it goes to a really old thread on least favorite mixes.

But that's kind of why I asked. Every once in a while, people bring up the idea of using the Slimline as a fermenter and I've always been wary of it. It just doesn't seem sturdy enough. If it has a limited life as a priming container, that reinforces my thinking.

Fixed the link.

Personally, I wouldn't use the slimline as a fermentor or a secondary, and that was my opinion even before mine broke. The plastic those things are made of is extremely thin, and too much knocking around would probably (and did in my case) break it.

I hate losing good beer, and the beer I lost was a premium recipe... :(

I haven't replaced it. For batch priming, I've been either using the bottling bucket from my 5 gallon setup or an LBK if I have one open.

Just my $.02