Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
ben_postgate

2nd batch questions!

Hi everyone, I seem to spend an amazing amount of time reading the forum and not posting!

I have my first batch of beer in the LBK and almost ready to bottle after receiving the kit for Christmas and was just looking for a little advice on what to brew up next. We seem to be somewhat lacking in MB supplies in the UK so rather hastily ordered a Classic American Blonde Ale kit, 500g of Munton's extra light spraymalt and a packet of cascade hops from my local home brew shop.

So, after going through the hot break with the 500g of DME would I need to do a hop boil before continuing with the CABA refill or would dry hopping be the way forwards?

Apologies if my terminology/methodology is off and thanks in advance. Cheers,

It depends on what you want out of the hops. If you're looking to add bitterness, flavor, or both you'll need to do a boil of some kind. If you're only looking to add aroma, then a dry hop afer primary fermentation is the way to go.

Depending on the amount of hops you have, you could do some combination or all three.

Cheers!

Welcome to MB and the Forum.

I have heard before that it is difficult to find MB products in the UK. Other extracts will work as well. Remeber that you can split the larger cans between brews.

As far as the hop boil, goes, it all depends on what you want ... Aroma, Flavor, Bitter. If you use an extract the bittering is generally done for you to meet the style. Here is a chart that might help you out:

hopboilchart.jpg

Here is a site that will give you lots of tools to work with as well
Screwy

I would recommend downloading and installing Qbrew which is available on the above site as well.

Keep posting, we'll keep helping ;)

Thanks very much for the advice. I certainly hope my patience improves as I can't wait to get on with the next batch/bottle the first/drink some of my beer!

Quick Q: I also have acquired 500g of hopped light DME, will boiling this kill off the hops?

Thanks again and cheers!

Kill, no. But it will change the profile. I would keep your boil on the hopped DME to a minimum. Welcome!

:cheers: