Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
jcubz

Bottling question

I looked on the forum but couldnt find the answer. I really dont like the idea of plastic (but I have 8 1litre PET bottles) so I went and bought 500ml beer bottles from the local brew store.

Im using the screwy brewer calculator to decide how much primer to put in (im doing west coast pale ale, priming with dextrose) but im a little nervous about exploding bottles...

If im looking for approx 2.5 CO2 volumes how much room should I leave at the top of the bottle?
the bottles I bought are actually the same as this:

http://www.mrbeer.com/product-exec/product_id/46/nm/16_oz_Glass_Swing_Top_Bottles_Qty_12_1

Of course this is my first batch but I want to try to go all out..

Thanks for help on the space for the CO2

I believe Mr Beer instructions recommend filling until there is ~ 2&1/2 inches left from the top. I believe that's what I did with my first batch.

Every batch after that I've used a bottling wand. Mr Beer used to sell them, but they don't seem to have them anymore (you can see one here). A bottling wand fills the bottle from the bottom up (instead of top to bottom) which helps avoid aerating the beer while bottling. It also allows you to fill each bottle all the way to the top. When the wand is removed, the beer that was displaced leaves the perfect amount of space between the beer and top of the bottle. You can probably find one at your LHBS for $5 or less.