Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Spucky

standard recipe question?

I recently brewed a Englishmans Nut-Brown Ale and a Octoberfest Vienna Lager over Christmas. My daughter was home for the holiday and helped.My question is will i be able to save some till June when she comes home from California? How long does a standard recipe last? Mr.Beer says in their book no longer than 4 months? B)

They're being overly conservative with the 4 months IMHO. There's a lot of variables involved but they're usually good for 6-9 months. I've had some a year old with very little degradation.

A lot of things come into play. If you're using PET bottles, they're not completely impervious to air exchange, so some oxygen can get in and lead to faster staling. Other things that come into play are how well you sanitized, how well you kept from aerating, etc.

I've had beers that were bottled in PET that I set aside and drank up to 9 months later and they tasted good, but others have had beers that tasted good at a couple of months and tasted foul later. I would think your earlier batches are more likely to have a shorter lifespan than later batches, after you have the process down pat (and probably use a bottling wand to reduce aeration).

I use a bottling wand and bottle in glass now, and I rarely even open a beer that hasn't been in the bottle for at least 4 months.

Hey thanks guys for the help! I actually bottle with glass.Good info! B)

Hi Fellaa - I'd like to add that once you reach 8 weeks in the bottle, refrigerate & your brew will stay fresher. BTW, I don't know how you guys can keep your beers for so long. I have no will power. 4 weeks in the bottle & I'm on the attack. :50cal: :drinking:

Interesting timing. I literally just last night drank the last of a bottle of Octoberfest (and Creamy Brown) that I bottled in July 2011. Has been tucked in the back of the fridge for a couple months. It was perfect. I think you'll be fine. If I were doing it I'd probably let it condition at room temp for about 2 months, then put as many as you can in the fridge as LabelMan suggested.

:charlie:

Tin Man

Beerlabelman wrote:

Hi Fellaa - I'd like to add that once you reach 8 weeks in the bottle, refrigerate & your brew will stay fresher. BTW, I don't know how you guys can keep your beers for so long. I have no will power. 4 weeks in the bottle & I'm on the attack. :50cal: :drinking:

I managed to build up my pipeline when I was doing some traveling and bring when got home on weekends. I've got over 300 beers in bottles and 3 5 gallon corney kegs. Makes it easy to let a beer sit in the bottle for a couple of weeks.

BP I may be brewer of the month , but it's quite obvious, you are the king! What's your address so I can rob your house. :laugh: :cheers:

bpgreen wrote:

I managed to build up my pipeline when I was doing some traveling and bring when got home on weekends. I've got over 300 beers in bottles and 3 5 gallon corney kegs. Makes it easy to let a beer sit in the bottle for a couple of weeks.

"I am not worthy. I am not worthy... (repeat)"

Damnation! I have about 80-100 and thought I was doing well! Time to step up my game! It's on now! ~ :laugh:

Tin Man

Tin Man wrote:

bpgreen wrote:

"I am not worthy. I am not worthy... (repeat)"

Damnation! I have about 80-100 and thought I was doing well! Time to step up my game! It's on now! ~ :laugh:

Tin Man

I'm up to about 400......empty bottles

bpgreen wrote:

...(and probably use a bottling wand to reduce aeration).

I use a bottling wand and bottle in glass now, and I rarely even open a beer that hasn't been in the bottle for at least 4 months.

+100. This is HUGE. Cannot be overemphasized. Can be the difference between a beer staling in four months and being good for over a year.

packerduf wrote:

Sacrilege! Those things ain't doing you any good collecting dust! :gulp:

oly wrote:

packerduf wrote:

Sacrilege! Those things ain't doing you any good collecting dust! :gulp:

Ya, I know. The winter weather has had me in the brewin' crapper. But I've got a small room off our attached garage, and with the help of a small heater, I'm making things happen again. I bought one of those weather thingies at Wally World ($10), and it is telling me that the temp out there is holding at 66 degrees. Last night, before I employed the heater, the temp dipped to 58. I don't think the yeasty-boyz partied much. Tonight they should be much more festive.

Spucky wrote:

Thanks guys for the input. B)

Dang Spucky, I almost forgot. I still have two 22 oz. (glass) bottles of my MB Dark Strong Ale (Winter Seasonal) that I bottled on 12/04/10. The last time I tried one, it was still quite tasty. That was about a month ago.