Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Fishybrewer

Fermenting Temperature

NewB here, I enjoy all your info very much and thanks for getting my new obcession off to a good start! First batch bottled after 15 days and doing fine. (WCPA) Looking for any ideas on maintaining a constant temp on the fermenter. I live in Mass. and its cold and with a programible thermostat with temps varying from 60 to 68 degrees, I did put it in a closet on the 2nd floor and it varied 64 to 72 degrees, forced hot air heat. I would like to find a way to be more constant. Thanks for any ideas. Happy brewing!

Put the LBK in a cooler and then use hot/frozen water bottles as needed. I find I can keep the temp swing within about 2-4 degrees using this method.

Don't know if money is a concern but you can try the FermWrap for $30.
Personally, I think if you let it ferment for 3 weeks even at 64 you'll be fine.
I've read thru the years of some folks put a big quilt in the dryer to warm it up then wrapping their carboys in it. Guess that might help but for how long?

I live in mass too I have the same deal, if I am in the house the temp
is higher but at night and when I am at work it is lower.
It goes up and down from 62-70. I put my LBK down the in the basement.
It is located in a doorway that goes out side and temp is 59-62
I have a decent temp gauge. I use a different yeast that works at different
temp like s-23 for lager and s-04 for ale. I hope that helps I am new
with 3 batches and this seems to be working for me, I have not had a beer
yet that I have made but the yeast was working in the frementer and my bottles are hard to the touch. :chug:

Boston checking in here. Placed digital theromometers around my apartment for a few days (closet, kitchen, bedroom etc). Found my bedroom was a constant 66.

Put my 2 lbks in seperate cardboard boxes (2-3 inches larger on all sides) lined with a towel on the bottom. Temps remained constant - except for the more active states which measured in at aprox 2-3 degrees higher.

Its working out for me so far - plus when I go into my room after work I get to bask in the (brief) delicious smells of brewing beer.

But take it with a grain of salt, still a noob - bottling my first batch tomorrow a.m.

Going for the 3/2/2 plan with a week in the fridge. I have never waited 8 weeks for ANYTHING.

:woohoo:

First, Welcome to the Obsession, DAJO73!!

Although I've not had to use this strategy, EVERYONE here (well almost) suggests the cooler hot/frozen water bottle approach, so I'd go with that. That said, your method of putting it in the 2nd flooor closet is probably fine as well. I do that with mine, but if I happen to get worried it's getting too hot (heater on, greenhouse effect, whatever), I just open the door of the closet for a while and the temp drops a bit.

Again, WELCOME!! Keep reading! Keep posting!! Keep brewing!!!

:charlie:

Tin Man

Welcome!I live in mass. also.I have had similar problems ive been able to block the heat vents in my fermenting room. it keeps it in the mid 60's.Learned that from these guys!Good luck cheers!!!

Welcome!I live in mass. also.I have had similar problems ive been able to block the heat vents in my fermenting room. it keeps it in the mid 60's.Learned that from these guys!Good luck cheers!!!

I have keg set-up in a basement room with a cheap micro furnace I bought at Wal-mart to keep the room at a constant temp.The furnace is automatic so you just set the temp and the room stays at the constant right temp Cheers

I use the shower stall on the lower level. I have a small ceramic heater heater hooked up to a Johnson controller to keep the temp up. Generally in the winter I do my lagers The basement stays under 50*. I would not worry about temp swings of a couple of degrees

Relax have another homebrew cause soon you'll have more