Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
reyrey1332

1st Batch of Hard Cider

It is actually the Toutle River Tart Recipe, which is their hard cider with a can of tart cherries.

I fermented it for 15 days, and it's currently in the fridge now to cold crash for 3 days. I took a sample swig and it tastes like dry white wine. Is this what it is supposed to taste like? I wanted it a little bit sweeter, will it sweeten up during bottle conditioning? (I do plan to bottle it at room temp for at least 4 weeks)

I also did not taste much of cherry anything. Would it be a bad idea to drop in a little bit of grenadine to each bottle before carbonating and conditioning? Thoughts? I guess I could always just serve it in a glass and pour a splash of grenadine in it afterwards and not before bottling, what does everyone think?

I guess my goal is to have a little bit of a sweeter hard cider rather than a dry apple wine...or is that what the Mr. Beer hard cider is going for? If someone can help me answer this and my grenadine questions I would appreciate it...thanks.

jeff

First, Welcome to the Obsession!

I actually went back and ready your earlier threads for a frame of reference. I have only brewed cider twice, and unfortunately, with minimal sucess. An important thing to consider is fermenting temperature. The first time I brewed cider I fermented at around 65 (like most MB brews) but the instructions say it's better at 73-81. So my first question is, did you ferment at those temps?

Second, just an observation... Almost everyone here recommends doubling the fruit when brewing anything (cherries, raspberries, etc.) to get more of the flavor. Also, many recommend adding the fruit later, rather than after "flame out" (removing from heat). What did you ultimately decide to do with adding yours? Be prepared, you may not get as much fruit flavor as you had hoped, but remember, you will still have made your own brew!

Third, since you've brewed a defined recipe, I'd recommend letting it play out to see how it does, rather than continued "tweaking." Go ahead and bottle it. Let it sit at room temp for 2 to 4 weeks, fridge for a couple days then sample 1 or 2.

Finally, and most importantly... Just to be blunt, if this brew sucks, or is flat, or does not live up to expectations, don't give up! Keep reading! Keep posting!! Keep brewing!!!

:charlie:

Tin Man

I fermented right around 70-71 degrees...a few days it dipped to 68, but no lower. I don't own a hydrometer, but all signs of fermentation seemed to be over.

I actually added the fruit according to the recipe. Immediately after flame out and poured the puree directly into the LBK.

Any opinion on my grenadine questions?

thanks Tin