Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Tabasco

Croxley Ale House, anyone?

That won't work for me T as I'm usually at Capt Lawrence on Friday's.
I have a better chance with you when I go to Great South Bay Brewery's new tasting room - 2309 Union Blvd, Bayshore - Open Thursdays & Fridays 3-8pm & Saturdays 12-5pm - So keep me posted for when you can make it & what's best on short notice & I'll contact you before I go. Perfect place for the Long Island & Queens People to meet. Cheers :cheers:

I'm in NYC, too.

Definitely up for a meetup!

Started a batch of WCPA on 28jan
and a batch of SWOS on 05feb

Mace

We should work on doing this. Tuesdays or Wednesdays would probably be best for me. Of course, everything depends on son's and wife's schedule, too. Sucks having only one car.

FedoraDave wrote:

We should work on doing this. Tuesdays or Wednesdays would probably be best for me. Of course, everything depends on son's and wife's schedule, too. Sucks having only one car.

Yah, we got another taker on here ... four all together. We should figure it out soon. Tuesday or wedndesday would be ok ... but if that's the case, should also consider Croxley Ale House on Ave B ... wings are $.010 a piece on Mon, Tues and Wed. The have many types of crafts on tap. McSorleys ... just a few basic taps.

It would probably be better for me if we could turn it into a dinner-type meet-up. I'm only talking burgers or wings, here. But early evening would work best for me, is what I'm saying. Around 5 or 6 O'Clock. This would allow me time enough to drive in, have a decent stay, and be able to leave early enough so it's not a real late night.

How about Croxley's followed by Idle Hands Bar for their $10 tasting on Wed 29th?

I did exactly that with friends for the first time this past Wed and it worked great.

The two bars are right across Ave B from one another.
The cheap wings @ Croxley prevented us from having a 100% beer dinner, and the reps from Breckenridge who did the tasting at Idle Hands were knowledgeable.

Idle Hands event
http://www.meetup.com/nycbeer/events/ljlzqyqdbmc/

mace wrote:

How about Croxley's followed by Idle Hands Bar for their $10 tasting on Wed 29th?

I did exactly that with friends for the first time this past Wed and it worked great.

The two bars are right across Ave B from one another.
The cheap wings @ Croxley prevented us from having a 100% beer dinner, and the reps from Breckenridge who did the tasting at Idle Hands were knowledgeable.

Idle Hands event
http://www.meetup.com/nycbeer/events/ljlzqyqdbmc/

Wed 29th sounds good ....... Croxley aok, but I'm gettin' my own plate of $.10 wings .. I like 'em hot and plentyful, heh heh.
So, who else is in??????????????? Could go to the other place next, but you gotta show me where it is, and it can't be too far from a train that goes to Penn. And Dave, I could get there 5ish.

So, anyway, I'm lookin' to be at Croxley's on Ave 5 around 5 or so ... wed 2/29. I'll try to remember my MrBeer hat, if not I have a bald head, white beard that I just cut short.

I'm in! I should be done with work by around 4:00 or so, and I'll be able to get home, get cleaned up and changed, and down to Ave. B by 5:00. 5:30 at the latest.

I'll be the one wearing the fedora. ;)

Hey, my daughter and her fella are tagging along, if that's okay. My treat. She works not far from there, and in fact, she said Croxley's is where she celebrated her 24th birthday. She recommends it highly, and they're two pretty good kids, so I didn't think anyone would mind.

FedoraDave wrote:

Hey, my daughter and her fella are tagging along, if that's okay. My treat. She works not far from there, and in fact, she said Croxley's is where she celebrated her 24th birthday. She recommends it highly, and they're two pretty good kids, so I didn't think anyone would mind.

Great!

I can get there by six.

I'll be bringing some friends who haven't brewed beer since they were young lads.
(I may even bring additional friends who know only how to drink beer).

I'll be the one who looks like my picture ;)

I changed the name of the thread to Croxley, in case anyone else stumbles on it and partakes.

losman26 wrote:

What date are you guys meeting up?

read the thread above ... 2/29 people coming in around 5:30 or so (5-6). Croxley Ale House on Ave B.

Yeah, depending on a number of factors, I'm anticipating getting there between 5:00 and 6:00.

I shouldn't have too heavy a work schedule, since it's the last day of the month, and I'm totally on track. It depends on when my wife gets home with the car, and on the traffic heading into the city and on the FDR.

But I'm definitely in, as is my daughter, and maybe her fella, depending on his schedule.

Anybody know what the parking situation is down there?

FedoraDave wrote:

Anybody know what the parking situation is down there?

Sorry, no, I'll be taking the F train from Brooklyn, where I work.

Well, I have to bow out.

DAMN AND BLAST!!! :angry::angry:

Our weekly service meetings are usually on Thursday. Well, they announced today that next week's meeting will be on Wednesday. That's the only time they're changing it, and of course, it has to conflict with these plans.

sigh :(

Well, they say work is the curse of the drinking class, don't they?

Sorry I won't be there. Lift a pint for me, mates. And I'll catch you some other time.

FedoraDave wrote:

Well, I have to bow out.

Our weekly service meetings are usually on Thursday. Well, they announced today that next week's meeting will be on Wednesday. That's the only time they're changing it, and of course, it has to conflict with these plans.

Sorry I won't be there. Lift a pint for me, mates. And I'll catch you some other time.

I was looking forward to meeting you, as well as the others.
Do you want to change it to Tuesday, or the following wed (if the others in here can make it?) If not, I'll go wed as planned.

Judging by post and brew counts, I'm the newbie.

One thing I'll ask you gents for advice on:

In what sequence do you recommend climbing the skill ladder?
(I'm not looking for a custom-tailored answer - I'd be more than happy with existing threads y'all can recommend)

I'm a big believer in the power of patient, structured learning.
I don't have a personal mission statement to
"brew the ultimate beer no later than mm/dd/2012".

Rather, I want to:
a. do basic kits (for awhile)
b. augment my method with a small tweak
c. stick with that tweak, until I'm comfortable with it
d. choose the next tweak
e. repeat 'b'-'d'

Where I'm lost is in charting a progression of tweaks/tools that is neither recklessly ambitious, nor out-of-logical-sequence

If one wants to be a pilot, one's sequence should be more like:
flight plan > fly > takeoff > landing

... and less like:
fly > Kulbit > landing > flight plan

I have no knowledge of where different skills (ABV testing, liquid yeast, dry hops etc) belong in the learning curve

Also, are there any accessories I should probably 'just buy now'
(bottling wand, new spigots etc)

I've only done two brews (WCPA and SWOS, with 2xHME), but am very happy with both, and plan to do at least 6-8 more to get comfortable.

looking forward to the meet up!

Tabasco wrote:

FedoraDave wrote:

Well, I have to bow out.

I was looking forward to meeting you, as well as the others.
Do you want to change it to Tuesday, or the following wed (if the others in here can make it?) If not, I'll go wed as planned.
Well, probably the following Wednesday would work for me. If that works for other folks....

mace wrote:

(I'm not looking for a custom-tailored answer - I'd be more than happy with existing threads y'all can recommend)

Rather, I want to:
d. choose the next tweak
e. repeat 'b'-'d'

Where I'm lost is in charting a progression of tweaks/tools that is neither recklessly ambitious, nor out-of-logical-sequence

Here's my advice:

Stick with the Mr. Beer recipes until you're comfortable with the sequence of events, and can brew up a batch easily and confidently, sure of all the steps involved. There are a lot of good recipes available by clicking on the Advanced Recipes link on the homepage. I make those recipes all the time, and I enjoy them a lot.

Once you're confident you have the basics down, start steeping grains to add to the recipes. You don't have to change the recipes at all, except maybe to cut the Booster in half if you're adding 1/2 pound of Carapils in a steep. This will increase head retention and give your beer a little more body. And it's easy to do.

After you've done that, move up to using either DME or LME, either as an addition to a Mr. Beer HME, or using them on their own to formulate recipes, such as using a 3.3 pound can of Amber LME, 1/2 pound of Carapils steeped, and some hops boiling to create an amber ale. Simple recipes, but very satisfying, and an introduction to recipe formulation. The tweaks you can make on a recipe as basic as this are endless, and you can combine specialty grains and other malt extracts to make everything from a blonde ale to a stout.

Eventually this will lead to partial mashes and all-grain recipes, but that's more than we need to explore right now. You'll get to that level when you're ready. And there are lots of people in this community who will be eager and pleased to help you out.

FedoraDave wrote:

mace wrote:

Rather, I want to:
d. choose the next tweak
e. repeat 'b'-'d'

Here's my advice:

Stick with the Mr. Beer recipes until you're comfortable with the sequence of events, and can brew up a batch easily and confidently, sure of all the steps involved. There are a lot of good recipes available by clicking on the Advanced Recipes link on the homepage. I make those recipes all the time, and I enjoy them a lot.

Once you're confident you have the basics down, start steeping grains to add to the recipes. You don't have to change the recipes at all, except maybe to cut the Booster in half if you're adding 1/2 pound of Carapils in a steep. This will increase head retention and give your beer a little more body. And it's easy to do.

After you've done that, move up to using either DME or LME, either as an addition to a Mr. Beer HME, or using them on their own to formulate recipes, such as using a 3.3 pound can of Amber LME, 1/2 pound of Carapils steeped, and some hops boiling to create an amber ale. Simple recipes, but very satisfying, and an introduction to recipe formulation. The tweaks you can make on a recipe as basic as this are endless, and you can combine specialty grains and other malt extracts to make everything from a blonde ale to a stout.

Eventually this will lead to partial mashes and all-grain recipes, but that's more than we need to explore right now. You'll get to that level when you're ready. And there are lots of people in this community who will be eager and pleased to help you out.

Yah, and don't be afraid to put a post like this in the new brewers section, ususally you get plenty of answers.

FedoraDave wrote:

Well, probably the following Wednesday would work for me. If that works for other folks....

Now I can't make the following week, so anyone can make it WED 2/29 as planned, let me know in here ... and I'll go as planned .......

yup - I'll be there!

Thanks for the answers, gents - I'll visit the New Brewers section, too.

So far, I've made my batches with 2 cans of HME, because I like a heavier flavor, but that certainly adds to the cost.

With this raging head cold, I don't know if I'd be able to make it tomorrow anyway, if I didn't have a meeting at work.

Of course, the downside is I have to go to a meeting at work anyway with this crappy head cold. :(

Hope you feel better, Dave.

Mason, I'll see you there. I have red Mr Beer cap.
BTW, brewing MrB HME's is real brewing ... I still do it, even though I do BIAB AG as well. It's all good. The new brewers section is good, I like to go there to see what's up, but also, the basic recipes, basic techniques, advanced this, advanced that ... MUG, Community Drain Pipe ... it's all good, all there for your entertainment and enlightenment, heh heh ... you made beer ... you're in!

864-REG.jpg

That was a great time, Mason ... nice meeting your friends, and of course, the nice waitresses, heh heh.

I liked the beer and bourbon tasting, awesome.

Of course, the wings and brews were great at Croxley, as always ... just like the one on Long Island.

Ditto, Tom. Thanks for coming out - I appreciate you taking time to share what you've learned with greenhorns like me.

I liked the Porter, but overall I wasn't blown away by the Narraganset offerings - at least you also got to try one of the Breckenridge brews they had two weeks back - they were more in line with what I expect from a tasting

I can't make the next couple, but GreenFlash Brewing on 21 mar looks appealing. Maybe we can get Dave and some others to c'mon out.

After all that beer and bourbon, three of us even managed to get up on stage and do some improv comedy. Liquid courage, call it.

Mason

I've got a small group of friends doing the Croxley's + Idle Hands routine again this Wed night.

Tom + gang: feel free to join us!

Damn .. I just saw this now .... I would have gone ... or is it this Wed?

Don't worry, Tom - It won't be the last time. - Actually, ac few people bailed - I think because of the heat, so it was a good one to miss, as far as social groups go.

The Heavy Seas offerings were pretty impressive, I must say. Heavier, to be sure, but I really liked their Plank, Black Pils, doppel bock and triple bock.

Four Roses bourbon was nice, too. Four Roses are coming back 11july (with either their small batch or single barrel - I forget which) and Raven Brands are the brewery. I'm tentatively hoping to hit that one.

Best,
Mason

Ok, you can twist my arm for wings and beer any time.

Plus, I want to hear one of the guys tell me, "you're the oldest guy I ever hung out with" again .... :laugh:

lol - reallY? you're just barely ahead of me. Lemme guess - it was from the youngest guy in the group, right?

I tell ya, these whippersnappers just don't show enough respect to us "seniors".

Yah, I don't remember who said it, it was one of those guys .... heh heh.

It was funny, it didn't bother me ... I'm just an old biker dude, heh heh.

I'm 58, BTW.

Meeting Mace at Croxley on Ave B in Manhattan, tomorrow 2/20 around 6, if anyone's interested.