Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
lbubba69

New Brewer in need of help

I brewed some beer and wondering about the taste.. I went by the instructions it says minimum 7 days to 14. i checked it starting 7 day.used flashlight and was clear also tried it and it did taste flat and not sweet. i waited till day 8 to bottle it up. Now that I have had it bottled its day 8 of having it bottled.I put in fridge and have tried it today. To me it just doesnt taste right was wondering if I should just let the beer sit for another week then try or if I rushed into bottling to fast and ruined the beer. Any Suggestions???

8 days might or might not have been enough time to ferment. Recommended time is 2-3 weeks in the LBK, then 4 weeks in the bottle at room temperature (2 weeks to carbonate/2 weeks to condition). After that, take one beer and place it in your fridge for a couple of days. As to your current batch, let them sit at room temperature for another couple weeks and then try another one.

I am new here too but I feel like most posts I read touch on time making your beer better. I see people recommend 2-2-2. 2 weeks fermenting, 2 weeks carbing (sugar in bottle), and 2 weeks conditioning. But there are a lot of posts that say 3-2-4 or something like that. A common thread is patience makes beer better.

You may have bottled too soon. Maybe it would've been better tasting if you didn't. At this point what else can you do but try it in a week? Then try it in another week. Then when you try it and like it, drink them all at once and plan your next brew.

I am on batch 2 and I really don't expect much out of the first 3 or so until I figure all this stuff out a little more.

Hope it turns out good in the end1

:borg: Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center lbubba69. You will be assimilated. Resistance is Quite Futile: We have Beer.

For an explanation (of sorts) as to what's happening, read the simple guide line. It's a sticky at the top of the New Brewers and FAQ's.

8 days in the fermenter is not long enough. 8 days in the bottle is not long enough either. You can make beer in 2 weeks as the Mr Beer instructions state, but it won't be very good beer. 2 weeks in the fermenter is the absolute minimum (I usually go 3 weeks) and 4 weeks in the bottle is the minimum before the taste is really any good. Your beer will improve with longer conditioning time, but next time go by the 2-2-2 rule and you will have much better tasting beer.