Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
ItsFinallyBeer:30!

West Cost Pale first taste

Hey Everyone!

Just cracked open my first bottle of the West Cost Pale Ale from the frig. Did 10 days in LBK then 7 after bottling then 2 in frig before now. I am getting a bit of a sweetness to it... is this a conditioning issue?

Thats my guess from everything I have read. When I bottled it just tasted like flat beer with no sweetness... other than that it is pretty good.. defiantly has all the alcohol content.. hence the :lol: face! haha One liter after a 4 hour drive in the snow home from work is good stuff! I guess it could have tasted horrible and I wouldn't have cared! haha

It is really cool to taste every step of the brewing process.. to see the progression.

The brew is still too young ... sweetness. Leave it alone for another 2 weeks before you fridge one for 3 days.

Minimum recommendation for basic refills is:
2 weeks fermentation
2 weeks carb
2 weeks conditioning

For two or more cans of extract
3 weeks
2 weeks
3 weeks to several months

You'll definitely notice a difference in taste letting it sit longer. I did that same thing with my first batch (WCPA). The hardest thing to do starting out was be patient, but trying one bottle at various points of conditioning showed me first hand how the flavor profile changes and gets better over time. ;).

:chug: Congrates on the first brew!

the sweetness that you are actually tasting has nothing to do with conditioning. granted letting in the beer condition longer will let the beer meld together better. What you are tasting is the residual sugar from not being fully carbed. full carbonation takes 21 days to be finished. so what you tasted in that beer was the sugar that has not been turned in to C02. like stated above give it another 2 weeks.

Drink the Free Beer in the bottles while you wait...
A much better way to pass the time as you build up your bottle supply.
BTW: Screw-offs don't work for recapping...

+1 to ZiggyZag's suggestion. Let that puppy sit (not necessarily in fridge) while you sample all kinds of other style and companies (all in good/reusable bottles). Get some Sam Adams samplers (the labels slide right off after oxy clean and the beer is good as well), or whatever happens to have a variety pack on sale (tonight at a new store near the house it was the Saranac Winter Sampler which i tried on east coast earlier this month and loved several of them) and supplement those with a few 22 oz bombers from various companies. This will give you some variety in bottling sizes going forward. Eventually you may not want 1 ltr of something when you get home - this gives you options.

My WCPA has changed drastically from a couple weeks after bottling until now (bottled in Nov) but no way could it have lasted this long to still be a part of the pipeline unless I was doing research and recycling free bottles :) Give it time - it's still young :)

Cheers
jeff

Patience is the hardest part of home brewing. As others have said, it is best to wait a minimum of 4 weeks after bottling before tasting. IF you want you can demonstrate this for yourself by opening one bottle per week and noting how much better it gets each week. Once you build up a pipeline it will be easier to wait.

my first batch was WCPA too man. I had it in the lbk for 15 days, then bottled it and its been sitting in a cupboard for about 8 days. I tasted it yesterday just out of curiosity, and it wasnt bad beside the fact that it wasnt chilled. I was debating on just throwing the whole batch in the fridge and drinking some this weekend, but I really wanna wait the full 4 weeks. Like everyone here has been telling you, PATIENCE...

I think we've all been in this spot. It's almost a right of passage! And my first batch was the WCPA as well.

My first batch of wcpa has been in the bottles for 3 weeks now. I still had some beer left in the LBK after filling the 8 liter bottles, so I made 2 12oz test bottles. I cracked one open last weekend after 2 weeks carbonating, very tasty beer with a slight sweetness in the after taste, will try the second one this afternoon.

ZiggyZag wrote:
[quote
BTW: Screw-offs don't work for recapping...

Hey! :angry:I'm a screw-off and I work just fine at recapping.

Bwahahahahahahahahahaha!

:ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

What the Hell did I put in my coffee!? Chuck sniffs his empty morning coffee cup

NTYMI now that u mention it, me too...

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!