Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
pocred

Taste of first brew

Waahooo. Couldn't wait any longer. First batch was the blonde that came with kit. 2weeks ferm, 2 weeks in bottles. I snuck one in the fridge. Drank it tonight. It was pretty dang good. Thanks for all the info on this site. The rest of bottles will stay out conditioning untill they arrrrr needed. :cheer:

pocred wrote:

Waahooo. Couldn't wait any longer. First batch was the blonde that came with kit. 2weeks ferm, 2 weeks in bottles. I snuck one in the fridge. Drank it tonight. It was pretty dang good. Thanks for all the info on this site. The rest of bottles will stay out conditioning untill they arrrrr needed. :cheer:

Lol I'm so damn impatient. I just stuck one in the fridge a few minutes ago. Today makes 2 weeks for me as well. We'll see how it goes. I also don't consider this ruining it since it's my first batch and only 1 bottle out of 6 left, I'd like to see how the flavor changes from now until the 2 weeks they have left.

Congrats :cheers:

Here is the rest of the story ... they will get better with age.

You are fortunate. Not all early sampling is a good experience and many get discouraged. Don't expect that all recipes will taste good early.

Patience turns good beer into GREAT beer!

The fact that you were happy with results at this early stage of your beer is a good sign. My first samples I was like "eehhh it's like a watered down version of a Big Beer with an aftertaste" - it was a bit discouraging but I already had more stuff in the pipeline and also was able to pinpoint some stuff in my processes that needed tweaking.

Now I am starting to get to the point where I am about to start cracking open the first few batches after the improvements - and I cant wait. Just letting the beer condition longer made a big difference in the taste (and got rid of the after tastes/off flavors).

Let your enthusiasm carry you on to brewing happiness :)
Cheers
jeff

After a few hours of chilling in the fridge I tried my first one and I must say I am IMPRESSED. I'm only testing one as a benchmark for the last 6 after 2 more weeks. The first pour was great. I was impressed. The head needed some work, but that will come from the next 2 weeks. The last pour was kinda an accident and ruined it. There was trub at the bottom of the bottle and I was so excited I forgot and poured it in which ruined the beer, lol. But overall, It was good. Sweet somewhat, but I am far from turned off. I really wanna see how the next 2 weeks improve those that are left.

I only had about half of it. Any reason I'd feel a big buzz and a slight headache?

xxmaelstrom wrote:

After a few hours of chilling in the fridge I tried my first one and I must say I am IMPRESSED. I'm only testing one as a benchmark for the last 6 after 2 more weeks. The first pour was great. I was impressed. The head needed some work, but that will come from the next 2 weeks. The last pour was kinda an accident and ruined it. There was trub at the bottom of the bottle and I was so excited I forgot and poured it in which ruined the beer, lol. But overall, It was good. Sweet somewhat, but I am far from turned off. I really wanna see how the next 2 weeks improve those that are left.

I only had about half of it. Any reason I'd feel a big buzz and a slight headache?

If you're feeling a big buzz from half of a liter from a standard refill, it's likely the buzz of feeling great that you're drinking something you made. A standard refill is only about 3.7% ABV. I live in Utah, which is one of the remaining "3.2" states, but the beer I can buy in the grocery store is stronger than this (3.2% ABW is about 4% ABV).

So I vote it's the joy you get from making your own beer.

bpgreen wrote:

xxmaelstrom wrote:

If you're feeling a big buzz from half of a liter from a standard refill, it's likely the buzz of feeling great that you're drinking something you made. A standard refill is only about 3.7% ABV. I live in Utah, which is one of the remaining "3.2" states, but the beer I can buy in the grocery store is stronger than this (3.2% ABW is about 4% ABV).

No I legit feel a head buzz and a headache. I'm concerned. I am a light weight usually, but not from half a liter. What is that in oz? About 1 beer? I'm not that much of a light weight.

xxmaelstrom wrote:

bpgreen wrote:

xxmaelstrom wrote:

No I legit feel a head buzz and a headache. I'm concerned. I am a light weight usually, but not from half a liter. What is that in oz? About 1 beer? I'm not that much of a light weight.

A half liter is just under 17 fluid ounces, so it's about a beer and a half. But since it's a low ABV beer, it's like a normal 12 oz beer.

I'm not saying you're not feeling a real buzz. I'm just saying it's not a real of ingesting a large amount of alcohol.

Just chiming in to say CONGRATULATIONS!!! On your first brew pocred and xxmaelstrom!!!

Keep reading! Keep posting!! Keep brewing!!

:charlie:

Tin Man

One thing I have discovered in using the 1 liter bottles is - pour two pints at the same time upon opening, in one continuous pour to minimize the trub, leave a little bit of beer at the bottom of the bottle - then rinse the bottle immediately (yes, before you even sample your wares) to get the trub outta the bottle. I also leave bottle filled with water until I am going to soak in the oxy clean.

I am now down to using more 12 oz and 22 oz bottles just because of the size of the 1 liter which might be good if someone is coming over but if it is just me - I prefer not to open a liter :) I may want to sample different flavors so 1 liter is too much. Good place to start but I will be ordering the .5 ltr plastic bottles with my next MrB order. I like being able to take them places where I can't take glass and the size is more convenient.

Don't expect too much in the way of head formation/retention with your first few batches, especially with basic refills. I have yet to get too much out of my first couple of batches. Will see what happens when I get to the more complex ones that should be finishing conditioning now. I am going to try to use some carapils in an upcoming batch as I hear that will help.

Cheers
and enjoy the benefits of your labors :)
jeff

Brian1179 wrote:

sorry BP, i actually measured 1/2 liter, its 17.8 oz jut under 18 oz.

Then you measured incorrectly. 1 liter is approximately 33.814 fluid ones. Half of that is 16.907. If you disbelieve me, take a look at a 1/2 let bottle of water. It will list the contents in both.