Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Brewing Brother

Sacramento Area anyone?

I live in Shingle Springs and work in Folsom. I got my Mr Beer kit for Christmas, then found kits & refills on sale at Bed Bath & beyond, selling quickly. So there must be other interested folks here too. My second batch will go into bottles this weekend.

Foothiller,

Have you been to Brewmeister in Folsom? I haven't had a chance yet, but it's over on Riley and has some good reviews on stock and customer service.

Yes, I highly recommend Brewmeister. (I think it's actually on Reading, off Bidwell, in "old town" Folsom.) I was making wine before discovering Mr Beer, and have now gotten some beer supplies there too. They have had tips that have improved on ones in the books I read. It can be worth calling to ask if what you want is in stock, but if it isn't, they can often get it for you. Another place to try is the new Whole Foods market.

Greetings all! I did make it over to Brewmeister (it was indeed on Reading) and really enjoyed the place. Excellent stock and very helpful staff. Anyone have plans this spring or early summer?

I can't resist planning (at least, the daydreaming is somewhat productive), so I'm keeping the LBK occupied: just bottled Dubbel Trouble and started Winter Dark Lager in the LBK, then have Blue Lightning, Bewitched Red Ale, Cowboy Golden Lager, Classic American, Crystal Cherry Dream, Black Cat Ale, and Dutch Apple Ale are in queue. Experiments with cider and a Brooklyn Brewer mix will fit in there somewhere too, in one-gallon carboys. Some wine is in larger carboys too, including California Wild Grape from vines that I originally planted for fall foliage. (Talk about needing patience - with wine, it's several months before one gets to enjoy the product, even when it's young.)

I'm glad you made it to Brewmeister!

That sounds like quite a spring you have planned! How do you like the Brooklyn Brewer kits? I haven't used one yet, but the price looks pretty good.

A return trip to Brewmeister in a couple weeks is in the works, I bought another LBK a few weeks ago, and now I just HAVE to keep them both running. HA!

Actually, my queue will take several months to get through. To maintain things like another hobby being recreational bicycling, 1 beer + 1 glass of wine is the right daily pace for me, which means one LBK on a 3-week brewing cycle, plus occasional other experiments. I do have some spare LBKs from Bed Bath & Beyond's clearance sale, but for now they're spares.

This is my first Brooklyn Brewer mix, which I will start soon but haven't done yet. As a beer brewing newbie, it's a more comfortable step to have the packaged all-grain mix and follow "do these steps with these ingredients", take notes, and then generalize to try other all-grain ingredients, than to think I understand the steps and face a selection of raw ingredients.

That's exactly why I'm considering the Brooklyn Brewer kits. I've got 10 batches now with Mr. Beer and want to take that next step toward building my own beer from scratch.

The instructions seem pretty straightforward. I'm just waiting for the right window in the family schedule to get it going. Unfortunately, from that point it will be a month before I can start to report the resulting tastes. We can compare results when we have them.

Brewing Brother - Have you had a chance to try a Brooklyn Brew Shop mix? I tried the Bourbon Dubbel mix, and except for a bad decision as to how to handle the added spirits, it worked. Our family schedule hasn't allowed a lot of periods long enough for creating other recipes following their all-grain procedures, so I have been experimenting with reduced end-to-end times. Not totally successful yet, but getting better. Any results on your end?

I was glad to find that Eric Schmid, owner of Brewmeister, was interviewed on the June 14 Beersmith podcast, and also has opened a Roseville store adding to the Folsom store. Great podcast! I hope you can connect with them there now, Brewing Brother.

By the way, if others are in our area, this forum can be a good way to make contact.

Brewing Brother - It looks like you might be back on the MB forum. Did you get a chance to try the Brooklyn Brew Shop kit? Any other activity in the LBK? (I've had a steady series going through mine.)

Greetings Foothiller!

It's been a wild few months around here. My oldest graduated high school and moved out this summer to begin working and start college in January.

I haven't started on a Brooklyn Kit yet, but I did get in with the new club started by the Roseville Brewmeister shop. Good group of folks.

I'm mashing grain this weekend on the next batch. I also need to update my brew list. I'm four batches behind. The pineapple and Blueberry turned out great. That pineapple is definitely on my permanent list for spring brews.

Thanks for keeping the thread up and running!

BB

I can imagine the wild months! My daughter is a HS senior this year, so that's coming up.

If you're already mashing grain, I'm not sure you need to try a Brooklyn Brew Shop kit unless you're just curious. I can buy the ingredients for less than their cost. For me, it was a manageable first step into all-grain, then I used what I learned to brew a SMaSH recipe and improve my techniques, and then merge that into doing partial mash to match my available time. I'm glad to hear that the Brewmeister club is good, and I have been considering checking out something like that. Also, that Brewmeister is doing well with opening their Roseville store and expanding their web site, so I don't need to feel guilty about taking what's an easier route for me, of pulling into the Whole Foods parking lot on my way home from work in Folsom, when Whole Foods has what I need. (I do know many folks would give a lot to essentially have two LHBS in the town where they work.)

Good to hear from you -

Best to you and your daughter on this year. It will be amazing for the wholw family.

I may still try a Brooklyn Kit just be familiar with it. My first mash will be an addition to a Mr. B can and booster; although I may change out the booster for brown sugar.

Are any of the new brewers (or experienced ones who have been quiet) in the Sacramento area? It would be nice to know who's in the area, and if there's interest, maybe we could meet somehow.

Good to hear from you, Chizzle. Given that I'm uphill from Sacramento myself (Shingle Springs, 1600 ft elevation), Calaveras counts.

Cool, So I dont have to start a Gold Country post lol. I use to work at Red Hawk, just thought Id say that for some reason in referance to Shingle Springs :lol:
:chug:

Great to have that connection! Speaking of Gold Country, I manage to work "gold" into a few of my recipe names, like Golden Hefeweizen and Saison d'Or. Welcome to the forum, and please let us know how we can help as we all develop our skills. Maybe we can find others in the Gold Country. Bed Bath & Beyond sure had a good sales volume at Christmas.

I was thinking of having something with a gold referance in the name too. :laugh:
Miners Brew or Gold Nugget Beer Works.
I know Im just gettin into the hobby but I'd love to eventually open a microbrew/Pub in the area....I know it would kill up here. Snowshoe Brew Co. is too far for the from Jackson and Valley Springs... and IMO not very good.

I went to my first Hangtown Association of Zymurgy Enthusiastics (HAZE) tonight in Placerville tonight, and had a great time. I'll be back. It would be great to see other Gold Country Mr Beer brewers there.

Sounds like it would be fun to go. I work graveyard shift though and when Im off I have my 17month old and 6year old to take care of.

Good to hear from you, Brewing Brother. The HAZE meeting was lots of fun, including seeing faces light up when people tried my brews and getting compliments on them. I stopped by a brewing day yesterday with their 55-gallon Big Brew System, and picked up a share of 2nd runnings of the Russian Imperial Stout. The 2nd running is low gravity (OG 1.020), but it's an interesting new challenge for my recipe design skills: take 6 gallons of low gravity wort and turn it into interesting LBK batches. (It's a good thing I have spare LBKs.). One is a low calorie stout for my wife. I'm looking forward to more club activities.

Welcome to the forum, Maligator! There is a lot of good knowledge here. Please don't hesitate to ask questions, and you can count on getting good answers.

It looks like we cross paths: I work in Folsom.

Maligator, welcome to the club. I live down in Camanche (Burson side) cool to see someone from "The County" here!

Hey Guys,
I am here in Rancho Cordova. Started brewing in January. Did the Classic American light first was OK. needed more flavor but drinkable. I Just tasted my 2nd batch, Roses Rambling Red very yummy. Have 1776 in the carb/Conditioning stage. Fermenting Powerful patriot Ale and Brown eyed girl currently. Probably going to head to my LHBS in folsom next and try one of there recipes for comparison.

Nice to hear from local people.

Welcome, Mark, to both the Mr Beer community and the local discussion! Maybe we'll get enough critical mass soon for all of us locals to meet. There are a couple of homebrew clubs too - I've had positive experiences with HAZE in Placerville, and have heard good things about the club associated with Brewmeister's Roseville store. When you get to Brewmeister in Folsom (or Roseville), their kits can indeed expand your experience. A good thing is their web site lists their ingredients, so then you can start to make your own customizations. I get things at Brewmeister and Whole Foods Market, but also continue to get Mr Beer ingredients.

Welcome MAH, hope your adventures in brewing do well and you keep up with the community
(AKA the :borg: )

Welcome to the Borg MAH! Always good to have more local brewers here.

I think you'll enjoy the shop in Folsom, I was a regular there until they opened the one in Roseville. The guys behind the counter always have good recommendations and stories to tell.

BB

Going to throw some discs at Shady Oaks on Tues. Going to drop by the shop in Folsom to check it out since I'll be in the area.

Well, I stopped by Brewmister in Folsom on Tuesday. I was not very impressed with the selection of items that they carry. I have been to the Store in Elk Grove Handcraft Brewing that place is waaayyy better. Both are about the same distance in drive time for me, I will be doing my business at Handcraft Brewing. Better hops selection, better grain selection, more merchandise, nicer store, and they have beer on tap ;)

Hmm, "Between the Rivers" in "Skull County", home of "The Celebrated Jumping Frog" eh?  Ever been to Snowshoe via Summit Level Road?  Howdy neighbors ~SMILES~