Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Dustin

Home Draft System

Well I bottled two batches of WW last night into two Miller Lite Home Draft Bottles. I primed each bottle with about 5 1/4 TSP of sugar just under what MB calls for 6 liters because those kegs are 5.7 liters.

Woke up this morning any they are already pretty tight so its definatly working. I have them in the shower in case I get a big bottle bomb. I was thinking though when I am ready to tap these kegs with the C02 I might have to vent them a little bit because that co2 cartridge will push in an entire 16 g cartridge for dispensing.

Any thoughts let me know.

I haven't been able to use my Home Draft System yet, still fermenting, but everywhere that i have read, you do have to pop the top a little to let out some of your CO2, or it will explode and really suck. Let me know how this goes, and if there is anything u will do different next time cuz im waiting to do mine. Thanks.

Since this is a standard refill I am thinking I am going to try one on Super Bowl Sunday. So I will let you know. I honestly think that even if you vent the Draft Keg the Co2 cartridge of C02 should force carbonate the beer at least a little. I know that Co2 is really for dispensing but it is still forcing CO2 into the beer simply by screwing in the cartridge.

I will keep you posted.

Dustin wrote:

Well I bottled two batches of WW last night into two Miller Lite Home Draft Bottles. I primed each bottle with about 5 1/4 TSP of sugar just under what MB calls for 6 liters because those kegs are 5.7 liters.

Woke up this morning any they are already pretty tight so its definatly working. I have them in the shower in case I get a big bottle bomb. I was thinking though when I am ready to tap these kegs with the C02 I might have to vent them a little bit because that co2 cartridge will push in an entire 16 g cartridge for dispensing.

Any thoughts let me know.

What I've been doing is to put a standard cap on the bottle while it's carbing/condtioning. When it's ready i put it in the fridge for 2-3 days to chill.

Next I open the bottle then put the tap and the new Co2 cartridge on and let the beer absorb the Co2 from the cartridge.

So you just take the cap off insert the new cartridge and reseal? So you just completely take the cap off? I guess that is really no different than using a two liter bottle plus the Co2 cartridge will make the beer last longer than a 2 liter when you open it I guess so makes sense to completly vent it.

What I've been doing with mine is to let the CO2 from carbing push out the first couple of pours. Once the natural carb runs out I pop a CO2 cartridge in. Been working for me so far

i primed my black tower porter with 3 tablespoons of sugar.
i carb/cond with the tap on the keg.
i should have cooled down the keg more, would have been less pressure.
the first pours were foamy, so i vented the keg, tap the cart, heard the co2 fill the keg, sill was a little foamy at first.
i have yet to notice any trub in the glasses.

keg is almost gone - NEXT!!
i will get the HDS super cold next time, test the pour for foam/pressure.
too much - burp, just right - engage cart. drink, drink.
kegs are nice less bottle washing.

brewon

Dustin wrote:

So you just take the cap off insert the new cartridge and reseal? So you just completely take the cap off? I guess that is really no different than using a two liter bottle plus the Co2 cartridge will make the beer last longer than a 2 liter when you open it I guess so makes sense to completly vent it.

Yes. I carb with a polyseal cap on the bottle, not the tap. I only have four taps and eight bottles so I have to rotate taps.

What is a Miller Lite Home Draft Bottle? Is it like the mini kegs that already come with beer in them and you refill it?

jhyoung09 wrote:

What cap fits on it? I mean a 2-liter, or what?

If you can find a 2 liter soda bottle those caps will fit on it but I am speaking of simply reusing the Miller Lite or Coors Light Home Draft system as is. There are many videos out there on how to take it apart and reuse it. All you need is 16 gram Co2 cartridges which you can buy online for really cheap.

Home Draft

Brewish wrote:

What is a Miller Lite Home Draft Bottle? Is it like the mini kegs that already come with beer in them and you refill it?

beertap003.jpg

Dustin. Thanks for the link..... that is AWESOME!!! Can you leave your beer in it for extended periods after "tapping" it?

For some reason I think the Coors LT. home draft system works better.
I don't know why, but I've had two bad batches that were extremely flat and foamy with the Mlite bottles, but haven't had any probs with the coors LT. Just be sure to have your beer in the fridge at least 48 hours, if not more before putting the co2. I've also found that the 8G cartridges work better, because they produce less foam. You can take the original co2 canister, and saw it off to fit the smaller 8G one, then you shove pennies in it to make it the same size as the original.. Much more cost effective, and works better.

Also, the last time I had a flat keg, from the miller lite system, I used these 38mm poly seal screw caps, which suck, they also leak liquid out the side when carrying (suck!). They leak allover the place. Just take the tap and screw it on tight. If you have to use other caps, just get 3 liter soda caps, and put tape over the top.

Thanks for the feed back on the cap, i was just worried about the pressure breaking the tap system. Do you vent any pressure before you throw the CO2 in, or will the 48 hours release enough pressure?

losman26 wrote:

I don't know why, but I've had two bad batches that were extremely flat and foamy with the Mlite bottles, but haven't had any probs with the coors LT. Just be sure to have your beer in the fridge at least 48 hours, if not more before putting the co2. I've also found that the 8G cartridges work better, because they produce less foam. You can take the original co2 canister, and saw it off to fit the smaller 8G one, then you shove pennies in it to make it the same size as the original.. Much more cost effective, and works better.

Only problem I can see is that I'd be forced to drink 1 1/2 gallons of Coors light. :(

jhyoung09 wrote:

Thanks for the feed back on the cap, i was just worried about the pressure breaking the tap system. Do you vent any pressure before you throw the CO2 in, or will the 48 hours release enough pressure?

I've done probably 6 batches with the home draft system. The best carbonation has been done using screwy's calc. on his site for the volume. I don't remember the exact amount, because I've been doing batch priming lately. All I know is that my two bad batches were in the miller lite bottles, but I have used the miller lite taps in the coors bottles with no problem.

I'm still trying to figure it this system, but I've had better results with the bottle sitting verticle as opposed to horizontal(put it horizontal after tapping it). Also staying in the fridge for at least 2 days, and then putting the co2 cartridge in when you're ready to serve it. Keep it as cold as possible. During my last batch, I only had it in 1 day. The Keg was really cold, but the beer came out flat and foamay. I would even go 3 days if you can do it.

Forgot to mention, that once I forced carbed rather than adding sugar, and it turned out OK, but not as well as using sugar. As of now, I'm using my experimental brews in the home draft system, but beers that I know that are gonna be good, I just put straight into the bottle.

pete rose haircut wrote:

losman26 wrote:

Only problem I can see is that I'd be forced to drink 1 1/2 gallons of Coors light. :(

Believe me, you can find some "wussie" friends that are willing to drink that sh--t.

pete rose haircut wrote:

I guess you can get some people to drink anything as long as it's free.

Yep, cowboys fans and Patriots fans like this! Any fan of a bandwagon team will drink shi--t as long as it's for free.

pete rose haircut wrote:

losman26 wrote:

Even if you dump it out it's a cheap way to get a tap-a-draft. B)

GOF wrote:

pete rose haircut wrote:

losman26 wrote:

Even if you dump it out it's a cheap way to get a tap-a-draft. B)

:ohmy: Eh, it's still beer, gotta give it some respect for that.

jhyoung09 wrote:

I bought some "premium" caps from my LHBS, some wine stuff uses them. Haven't had any leaks so far.

Brewish wrote:

Dustin. Thanks for the link..... that is AWESOME!!! Can you leave your beer in it for extended periods after "tapping" it?

I had one batch that lasted about two months. But that was just because we went away on vacation... B)

Skelly wrote:

jhyoung09 wrote:

I bought some "premium" caps from my LHBS, some wine stuff uses them. Haven't had any leaks so far.

3 liter caps fit well, If were you, I'd buy a couple more of the home draft systems, so you can just put the taps right on the keg. Less hassle. I'm also convinced, that you do not want to put your really good beers into these, because the potential for a flat batch is always there. Whereas in the bottle, you never have that. It is a time saver though going into the home draft system.

I primed it with 5 1/4 TSP of table sugar and it worked great. As far as drinking Miller Lite or Coors Light. No worries there I have never forgot where I came from and can drink piss water just like I could when I was in my 20's. No offense to those beer snobs out there.

Thus far the miller lite home draft kegs are very tight but not tight enough where I think I will have to vent them. As far as venting before you screw in the co2 that is a negative just pull the tap for the first few pours using the natural carbonation and once the steam of beer slows down then screw in the CO2.

So far so good. I have been stocking up on these kegs since Christmas and I now have 8 of them and just for the record I enjoyed every drop of the miller lite and Coors Light.

losman26 wrote:

Skelly wrote:

jhyoung09 wrote:

3 liter caps fit well, If were you, I'd buy a couple more of the home draft systems, so you can just put the taps right on the keg. Less hassle. I'm also convinced, that you do not want to put your really good beers into these, because the potential for a flat batch is always there. Whereas in the bottle, you never have that. It is a time saver though going into the home draft system.

I totally disagree.

They're a lot easier to store without the taps. There's also fewer avenues for air to escape with a cap vs a tap assembly. As far as a hassle, big deal...you remove the cap and screw on the tap and a Co2 cylinder. Not much easier than that.

They're based/co-licensed with the Tap-A-Draft stuff, which supplies you with one tap and three bottles and caps for a five gallon batch. Since they're the same/similar I use the Tap-A-Draft instructions and guidelines with my Coors/Miller stuff.

As far as having a flat batch, I've had a flat batch when using regular bottles. It happens. So far I haven't had that problem with the Coors/Miller stuff, but I've learned to be more careful with stuff since then.