Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Chuck N ™

Lagers Converted to Ales

I got a question:

Since what we're brewing with most of the Mr Beer ingredients are ales - due to the use of ale yeasts - into what category/style would a pilsner style beer fall into if it was brewed with ale yeast as opposed to lager yeast?

A lot depends on the yeast you use, and the specific ingredients. It could be a blond ale, or a kolsch, perhaps a cream ale. I had one described by a beer judge as a saison, just because of the esters it had from using Danstar Nottingham yeast.

I think "category/style" makes this two different questions. In literal terms if it's brewed with ale yeast it's "category" would be ale. But it's flavor profile is designed to taste like a Pilsner (which are lagers) so it's "style" would be a Pilsner/Lager.

Like the MB Cowboy Golden Lager... It's an ale, like you said, because of the yeast, but it's style is "American Lager."

:charlie:

Tin Man

oly wrote:

I had one described by a beer judge as a saison, just because of the esters it had from using Danstar Nottingham yeast.

Wow, how warm did you brew that Notty? I have used it up to around 66, and it's never come out like saison yeast.

mashani wrote:

oly wrote:

I had one described by a beer judge as a saison, just because of the esters it had from using Danstar Nottingham yeast.

Wow, how warm did you brew that Notty? I have used it up to around 66, and it's never come out like saison yeast.

Nottingham is almost a lager yeast at the low end of its range, but it is an ale yeast. It's not going to produce esters in the low 60s, but I'd you ferment warm, it's a different story.

mashani wrote:

oly wrote:

My notes on that beer weren't very good, but judging by the time of year (December), and the fact that we heat largely with wood, so the boiler comes on only rarely, and the room where I ferment is not near the heat source, I would guesstimate the fermentation temperature at 64*-66*. It was a very simple recipe: Pilsner malt and carapils, Sterling, Perle, and Willamette hops. I thought it had a very flowery tasted to it, but the judge I had taste it at a club meeting got a lot of spiciness. The only thing I can guess is that the yeast was stressed somehow. It's a good beer (a year old now), just not what I expected.

Chuck N wrote:

I got a question:

Since what we're brewing with most of the Mr Beer ingredients are ales - due to the use of ale yeasts - into what category/style would a pilsner style beer fall into if it was brewed with ale yeast as opposed to lager yeast?

It would be a kolsh.