Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
polishmagnum

Belgian Blanc, Blue Moon, etd,,NEWBIE

Hi all, new here..So I've read many of the past postings and information on my question, but just too much of a newb to make much sense of it. I'll try to phrase my questions right..=)..So I bought this Whispering Wheat refill with the intention of making a Blue Moon type deal..I'm not good enough to make it perfect, not my intent. Just close. So I found a recipe for Belgian Blanc in the book that came with my kit, but it doesn't say WHEN to add hops, coriander, etc...or how!?..Also, it calls out TWO cans of Whispering Wheat, not sure why. I have one. So I am looking for a recipe that is super simple for this newb, that uses Whispering Wheat, and provides an "order of operations" so to speak. Again, just CLOSE to being Blue Moonish, I'm not that good yet!...Thanks for reading, any help appreciated!

I'm a new brewer too, but I can offer this... here is the link for the Whispering Wheat basic recipe instructions..

http://www.mrbeer.com/product-exec/product_id/90/nm/Whispering_Wheat_Weizenbier_w_Booster_/section/flavor_profile

and here is the link for the more advanced recipes with whispering wheat....

http://www.mrbeer.com/category-exec/category_id/33

Best of luck!!

Thanks for the info..so I looked at the recipe for 3 Spice Lemon Weiz and lets say I want to make that..it calls for two cans of Whispering Wheat. Why? Also, I read the instructions and understand "when" and "how much" of the of the spices to add..but I hear people talking about a muslin bag, however this recipe appears to just "add" them to the boil at the end. Whats the difference?

2cans less the booster=more flavor.

Not too much difference using bag or not, you can just fish them out easier. With no bag you just let them settle with the grub.

If you're using whole coriander seeds and grinding them, and you don't use a muslin sack, be very careful when you bottle. If you get any coriander bits in the bottles, they provide lots of nucleation points for CO2, so you get foam volcanoes when you open the bottles with any coriander bits in them (I learned this the hard way).

bpgreen wrote:

If you're using whole coriander seeds and grinding them, and you don't use a muslin sack, be very careful when you bottle. If you get any coriander bits in the bottles, they provide lots of nucleation points for CO2, so you get foam volcanoes when you open the bottles with any coriander bits in them (I learned this the hard way).

Great advice. I am about to brew a Blue Moon clone and I'm going to pick up some Coriander (which I don't even know where it comes from, etc.) tomorrow. Always helpful to just run a topic on the borg if you're a little shaky...chances are that you'll get your Q answered.

Any advice on when to add the coriander? Boil, at flame-out or dry "hop"? Also, prefer to have whole or crushed? Always in a muslin sack?

Brown Dog Brew wrote:

I'm going to pick up some Coriander (which I don't even know where it comes from, etc.) tomorrow.

If you cook spicy foods, you're probably familiar with cumin (or comino). Coriander is the seed for Cumin. Very different taste.

bpgreen wrote:

Brown Dog Brew wrote:

I'm going to pick up some Coriander (which I don't even know where it comes from, etc.) tomorrow.

If you cook spicy foods, you're probably familiar with cumin (or comino). Coriander is the seed for Cumin. Very different taste.

Corriander is the seed for Cillantro (the herb). Cumin is the seed of something else.

What if I try to make the Belgian Blanc recipe and just modify it a bit. Is this reasonable to think I could do this? If so, anyone wanna give me some advice on what to use?

I'm going to brew this tomorrow night so I have NO idea how this will turn out. We shall see:

Volunteer Wheat
---------------
Brewer: Brown Dog Brew
Style: Witbier
Batch: 2.13 galExtract

Characteristics
---------------
Recipe Gravity: 1.054 OG
Recipe Bitterness: 13 IBU
Recipe Color: 7° SRM
Estimated FG: 1.014
Alcohol by Volume: 5.2%
Alcohol by Weight: 4.1%

Ingredients
-----------
Alexander's LME - Wheat 2.00 lb, Extract, Extract
MrB. Witty Monk Witbier 1.21 lb, Extract, Extract

MrB. Witty Monk Witbier 1.00 oz, Pellet, 5 minutes
Saaz Czech) 0.25 oz, Pellet, 0 minutes
Saaz Czech) 0.50 oz, Pellet, 15 minutes

American Ale yeast 1.00 unit, Yeast, Safale 05
Corriander Seed 0.13 unit, Spice, 1/8 Teaspoon Crushed, boiled for 5 min. in muslin sack
Fromunda yeast 1.00 unit, Yeast, boiled 5 min. for nutrients
Orange Peel, Sweet 1.00 unit, Spice, 1 whole orange peel, zested in muslin sack
Orange Peel, Sweet 0.50 unit, Spice, "dry hopped" 7 days prior to bottling

-------
Here's a few notes on what I'm going to do:
-First off, I picked up the Alexander's LME at the local homebrew shop. It's basically like the Mr Beer Wheat UME, but almost twice as much @ 2#.
-As I boil my H2O, I will put about 1# of the Alexanders in to boil.
-Once boiling, I'll put my Saaz hops in a sack and boil for 15 min.
-Crush whole coriander and place in sack and boil as well as zested orange peel and 1 packet of Mr. Beer yeast for 5 min.
-After this has boiled the correct amt of time, I will flame out and add in the rest of the Alexander's and the Witty Monk HME.
-Proceed as normal except that I will place some more saaz hops into a sack and toss into the LBK.
-7 days prior to bottling (approx. day 14) I will throw (lightly) some more orange peel into the LBK.

Not going to lie. I'm totally looking forward to this. It might turn out more hoppy, less orangey, more coriandery, but I think it will balance with some conditioning.

Hope this helps.

PS - I know this actually doesn't really address the Belgian Blanc question but I think this will produce a pretty close replica to Blue Moon.

If you want more simplicity, you might look on MrB's website and order the Witty Monk Premium Refill. I understand it's pretty close just out of the cans and doesn't require a trip to the homebrew store or anywhere else.