Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
magsvmi

Rapberry Wheat

Hello everyone,
After searching the boards for tweaks on the Raspberry Wheat recipe this is what I've come up with....

1 Can Whispering Wheat Weizenbier HME
1 Can Golden Wheat UME
Safbrew WB-06 Dry Wheat Yeast
1 Can Red Raspberries in Heavy Syrup (puréed and added to Wort)
1 bag of frozen Rasberries (thawed and added 1 week into fermentation)

First... what do you think?
Second... Should I pitch the entire packet of yeast, or half the packet of yeast?
Third.... any suggestions for filtering out the raspberry seeds during bottling? I know if I siphoned off to a bottling tank, it would help resuce this, but any suggestions without doing this?

I thought a about puréing the frozen berries and running them through a sanitized strainer. Will puréed berries ferment as well as whole berries?

Thanks in advance and yes.... this one is for my wife. She was nice enough to buy the Mr Beer kit for me, and is now suffereing through the obsession... so she gets a thank you batch and I want it to be as close to the framboise she loves.

Same boat here, I'm making the MB Chocolate Covered Cherries for my wife. :) Although secretly I'm looking forward to trying it myself.

I doubled the fruit called for in the recipe (2 cans of Oregon Dark Sweet Cherries) instead of 1).

I let the brew ferment for 1 week and today I pureed both cans of fruit (in sanitized blender of course) and added it to the LBK.

I'm not sure if whole berries, even those that are "softened" by freezing will provide the flavor as well as pureed fruit.

My opinion would be to hold off on the raspberries in syrup and frozen berries unto 1 week in then thaw the frozen berries and puree both them and the canned ones together.

I think a sanitized fine mesh strainer would work fine. Pour the puree through that into a sanitized bowl and then pour into LBK.

Just my opinion. :)

Good luck! Cheers! :stout:

You could also get a couple of Mouslin (sp) hop sacks to put the frozen berries in, but the others i have no real idea, if i come up with one ill shoot it out to u.

I will tell you that I've got a batch of cherry wheat fermenting right now, added two cans of cherries after 1 week, the cherries have now been in there for 9 days, ready to bottle soon... But the trub is very very high, lots of "cherry residue" at the spout level. I am going to have to figure out a siphon system this weekend, bottling from the tap is not going to be an option if I want a clean beer.

I suspect two cans of raspberries would produce similar results, you may want to be prepared to siphon off the top to avoid seeds and other "garbage".

You can always prop the LBK up in the front some (like a DVD case or 2) when you ferment and when you cold crash. That keeps trub and other particulates away from the spigot.

I had to syphon out all of my fruit brews because there was way to much trub on the bottom of the LBK. A few almost blocked the spigot. I found it best to just remove the brew that way.

Cheers!
:chug:

can you subsitute the sack with something simular like a tea bag?also can you use a combination of berries after 1week ferminaton? also, my gf is interested in this recipe too. seemingly popular with the ladies apparently. ;)

-Rx

SmokeDiver3zero wrote:

I had to syphon out all of my fruit brews because there was way to much trub on the bottom of the LBK. A few almost blocked the spigot. I found it best to just remove the brew that way.

Cheers!
:chug:

I asked this question on the other forumn as well, and I got wat I think will be a great solution to the trub issue (aside from the CD case trick of propping the LBK so the trub settles toward the back of the LBK). It was recommended that I pick up a paint strainer from Home Depot (basically a larger version of the muslin sack MB provides for hops) and after the first week of fermenting add the raspberries in syrup (pureed) by placing the strainer inside the LBK with the opeining hooked over the opeining in the top and carefully putting the berries in the strainer. Then add the second batch of berries after antother week using the same method. This shoud allow the yeast to get to the berries but keep the trub from the berries contained and easy to remove.

Gonna give it a shot.