Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
drichardson

Blue Moon Spiced Amber Ale- Clone recipe?

Hello there fellow brewers!

I am BRAND new to this community and to the world of Mr. Beer! This is my first post here and I'm excited to join an excellent community! I love the chemistry behind brewing and have been making my own wine for the past couple months.

My question is, does anybody have a recipe or a general idea of how to make a beer that would be very similar to Blue Moon's Spiced Amber Ale? It's a seasonal release and I happened upon it just recently when I bought their "Winter Variety Pack" and I was blown away by how good it was! I had many friends try it and they were all impressed as well!

I would love to be able to recreate that beer! If at all possible, just stick with basic ingredients from Mr. Beer but of course, I can provide spices or honey or whatever might else go into.

Thank you in advance for any help!

Not sure what it's like.

You could do an online search to see what the tasting notes are for Blue Moon Amber Spiced... and try and invent the clone yourself. Choose a MrB Red or Amber and then go for the spices. The bit of valuable info I can lend is this- Go very sparingly on the spices. You can wreck a beer with too much spice... and it won't condition out.

Thank you for the help!

I will do my best to research just that! I had considered using the "Christmas Ale" recipe that Mr. B has to offer except leaving the cherries out as it has spices in it such as cinnamon and what not.

Any suggestions for the HME and UME?

Thank you all so far for the welcome and help!

I totally forgot about adding sugar to the beer to replace the syrup and sweetness from the cherries. I think that a combination of brown sugar and white sugar might make for a solid brew. Also, it's got this toasted malt taste, how can I achieve that? It's a reddish/dark amber in color. Allspice and Cinnamon are going to be my key spices to achieve this beer I believe.

Blue Moon describes the beer as:

"This deep amber-colored ale is crafted with cinnamon, rich caramel malts, and a touch of wheat for an inviting spiced flavor on a crisp winter day."

coloniesaspreading wrote:

that one has an orange note to it as well right. It's been a year or so since i tryed it. Add some orange zest to it.

You know, I didn't really pick that up in it but it very well could be there. It's certainly not going to hurt this wheat kind of beer. It should compliment the spices quite well.

Any ideas on the HME and UME yet? I'm thinking like the Octoberfest or Bewitched Red Ale for the HME? But as far as the UME I have not a clue!

Corriander will probably get the orange peel/citrus tones that you were talking about.

Another thing to consider, instead of plain sugar/brown sugar to replace the syrup consider using 1# light DME

Looking at the Christmas Ale - I'd probably follow the directions except subbing the 1# light DME for the cherries and adding 1/8 tsp of the corriander, and maybe adding the honey after 1 week in the LBK instead of before.

allenc85 wrote:

Corriander will probably get the orange peel/citrus tones that you were talking about.

Another thing to consider, instead of plain sugar/brown sugar to replace the syrup consider using 1# light DME

Looking at the Christmas Ale - I'd probably follow the directions except subbing the 1# light DME for the cherries and adding 1/8 tsp of the corriander, and maybe adding the honey after 1 week in the LBK instead of before.

Thank you so much for the help!

I'm a total newbie but I keep hearing talk of Coriander and honestly, I don't know that that is ha!

Also, what is 1# Light DME and where can I get it from? Again, you're dealing with an absolute amateur so bear with me! Do you think that Christmas Ale would produce those spices or should I up them to get more of the Spiced Amber Ale flavoring? And would you suggest the same HME and UME as the Christmas Ale? I need to get that red amber ale color and a smooth flavor with just a very small hint of wheat.

drichardson wrote:

allenc85 wrote:

Thank you so much for the help!

I'm a total newbie but I keep hearing talk of Coriander and honestly, I don't know that that is ha!

Also, what is 1# Light DME and where can I get it from? Again, you're dealing with an absolute amateur so bear with me! Do you think that Christmas Ale would produce those spices or should I up them to get more of the Spiced Amber Ale flavoring? And would you suggest the same HME and UME as the Christmas Ale? I need to get that red amber ale color and a smooth flavor with just a very small hint of wheat.

I'm still pretty green at all this as well, I am just passing on what I have learned (if not experienced)

Corriander is a spice you can get at any grocery store, you'll probably get whole seeds so you'll need to crush them (place them in a sandwich baggie and smack them with the bottom of a frying pan). This will open them up and let them release their flavor better.

DME is dried malt extract. It ferments much better than sugar. You can also find LME (which doesn't require a boil, if I recall correctly) But sugar is adjunct, and too high of a percentage of your alcohol coming from adjunct leads to off flavors that take weeks to condition out. So, in essence - light DME won't change your flavor profile a whole lot but will replace the sugar needed for ABV and give a fuller flavor. You can find it at Rebel Brewer (incredibly fast shipping and very competitive prices), Midwest Supplies, and Northern Brewer online or at your LHBS.

You could probably use the same HME/UME as the recipe calls for, it looks like it would yield a 11 SRM which is fairly amber in color. If you want you could buy Amber DME, as opposed to the light DME, which would probably get to around 15 SRM which would be a little darker red.

Finally, as far as being the same spice combo as the Blue Moon clone - honestly, I don't know. Purely guessing, it'll resemble the BM Spiced Amber and be similar but (depending on how refined your palate is) you'll probably notice a difference. Using Mr B ingredients as well as the spices listed will probably get you close, but you have to get some more experience and move to grain brews before you can refine it and get it closer to the same flavor profile. Also, I wouldn't raise the amounts of any of the spices until you've brewed it once and get an idea of how much it impacts your brew. You'd hate to have a beer so spiced that you couldn't drink it and a little spice goes a long way.

This is some good reading if you haven't yet: simple guidline as it is a good starter.

PS - if you are going to purchase some more ingredients get some S-05 yeast, it'll probably give you a better final product. And even if it isn't the same as the BM variety I'm sure you'll enjoy it because it'll be a spiced amber beer you brewed!

I'm still pretty green at all this as well, I am just passing on what I have learned (if not experienced)

Corriander is a spice you can get at any grocery store, you'll probably get whole seeds so you'll need to crush them (place them in a sandwich baggie and smack them with the bottom of a frying pan). This will open them up and let them release their flavor better.

DME is dried malt extract. It ferments much better than sugar. Read

Thank for the information on coriander! I should be able to find that locally just easy enough.

Now where do I purchase DME from and by "1#" I assume you meant 1 pound?

drichardson wrote:

Now where do I purchase DME from and by "1#" I assume you meant 1 pound?

1# is 1 pound, and you can google DME or dried malt extract to find it online or if you have a local home brew store it'll be there.

You can purchase DME and other supplies either online at places like MoreBeer, Austin Homebrew Supply, Northern Brewer, Midwest Supplies or any other online store, as well as a Local Homebrew Supply Store.

While sugar actually is just about 100% fermentable, it will thin your beer and require additional time to condition out "cider" flavors. DME/LME, on the other hand, is not quite as fermentable, but, in addition to increasing ABV, also adds body and mouthfeel to your beer.

Coriander is the seed from cilantro. Used sparingly, they can impart a citrusy flavor. Often used in wheat beers. You will want to crush it and add it to the boil for 5 minutes.

genotype wrote:

You can purchase DME and other supplies either online at places like MoreBeer, Austin Homebrew Supply, Northern Brewer, or

Thank you so much for the links! I assume for this Spiced Amber Ale I would use an Amber DME? And should I use 1 pound for the 2 gallon Mr. Beer Fermenter?

So right now, it sounds like my recipe will be this:

1 can - Octoberfest or Bewitched Red Ale HME (still would like some advice)

1 can - Pale Export UME

1 pound DME (?)

1/8 tsp. Coriander

1/2 tsp. Ground Ginger

1 tsp. Cinnamon

1/8 tsp. cloves

1/2 tsp. Pure Almond Extract

1 cup Honey

Any thoughts or changes to the recipe?

genotype wrote:

You can purchase DME and other supplies either online at places like MoreBeer, Austin Homebrew Supply, Northern Brewer, Midwest Supplies or any other online store, as well as a Local Homebrew Supply Store.

While sugar actually is just about 100% fermentable, it will thin your beer and require additional time to condition out "cider" flavors. DME/LME, on the other hand, is not quite as fermentable, but, in addition to increasing ABV, also adds body and mouthfeel to your beer.

Coriander is the seed from cilantro. Used sparingly, they can impart a citrusy flavor. Often used in wheat beers. You will want to crush it and add it to the boil for 5 minutes.

Thank you very much for the information on DME! Now, I don't want this beer to be super heavy at all. I hate Guiness and those thick kind of drafts. Perhaps DME would be too heavy for this kind of beer? I want to come as close to possible to this Spiced Amber Ale or at least create a very drinkable brew with that those good "apple pie spices". That's what I think of when I taste that beer is like the spices from apple or pumpkin pie.

I would lose the honey (unless you add it after primary fermentation) and go with 3/4 to 1lb of amber DME. That would bring your color to the low end of the Amber Ale spectrum (if using the Bewitched Red). You will also be pretty malty. I'd suggest adding a hop boil. A couple of hops that work to style would be Cascades or Centennials (This chart is a good reference.

genotype wrote:

I would lose the honey (unless you add it after primary fermentation) and go with 3/4 to 1lb of amber DME. That would bring your color to the low end of the Amber Ale spectrum (if using the Bewitched Red). You will also be pretty malty. I'd suggest adding a hop boil. A couple of hops that work to style would be Cascades or Centennials (This chart is a good reference.

Yes I was thinking of adding the honey after about one week in the Brown Fermenter like a member suggested in this thread, seems to be a good idea. Are hops pretty difficult to work with? Being a noob I don't want to ruin this recipe or make it too difficult but at the same time, I want to create a pretty good spiced amber ale!

Again, thank you all so much for the help! I think I can really pull this off with all of your suggestions! I hope it comes close to that ale or even better!!

Hops are very easy to work with. There are a few charts you can reference. Just search the forums for hop boil. Get a hop sack so you don't have to deal with the extra gunk. Just need some water, DME or some of the UME and hops. You could boil 1/4 oz for 20 minutes, adding another 1/4 oz for the last 7 minutes of the boil. Kill the flame. Add your HME and remainder of UME, and follow the rest of the directions, removing the hop sacks prior to putting the wort into the LBK.

genotype wrote:

Hops are very easy to work with. There are a few charts you can reference. Just search the forums for hop boil. Get a hop sack so you don't have to deal with the extra gunk. Just need some water, DME or some of the UME and hops. You could boil 1/4 oz for 20 minutes, adding another 1/4 oz for the last 7 minutes of the boil. Kill the flame. Add your HME and remainder of UME, and follow the rest of the directions, removing the hop sacks prior to putting the wort into the LBK.

Well that seems easy enough!! So, for the last 7 minutes am I adding an addition 1/4 ounce to the 1/4 ounce already in there? Or do I remove the first 1/4 ounce and add in a fresh hop sack with the new 1/4 ounce?

genotype wrote:

keep it in. remove both prior to putting the wort into the LBK.

Excellent, thank you!

How do the spice amounts look in my recipe? And I'll probably dial back the DME from 1 pound to 3/4 pound.

drichardson wrote:

So right now, it sounds like my recipe will be this:
1 can - Octoberfest or Bewitched Red Ale HME (still would like some advice)
1 can - Pale Export UME
1 pound DME (?)
1/8 tsp. Coriander
1/2 tsp. Ground Ginger
1 tsp. Cinnamon
1/8 tsp. cloves
1 cup Honey

Although a noob here, after doing a bit of research it looks as if 1 cup of honey might be a little much. I'd dial it back a bit. I might try 1/2 cup or 2 tablespoons. Too much honey and you'll have to condition for a long long time to settle it out. You'll likely have to condition for a long time anyway to get everything to work together, but it doesn't hurt to experiment. I'll bet you'd want to let this set for 2 - 4 months.

Brown Dog Brew wrote:

Although a noob here, after doing a bit of research it looks as if 1 cup of honey might be a little much. I'd dial it back a bit. I might try 1/2 cup or 2 tablespoons. Too much honey and you'll have to condition for a long long time to settle it out. You'll likely have to condition for a long time anyway to get everything to work together, but it doesn't hurt to experiment. I'll bet you'd want to let this set for 2 - 4 months.

Thanks for the input! Man, that seems like a long time to let it bottle condition. Should I just skip the honey altogether? How would that affect the conditioning time?

drichardson wrote:

1/8 tsp. Coriander
1/2 tsp. Ground Ginger
1 tsp. Cinnamon
1/8 tsp. cloves
1 cup Honey

I made a Blue Moon clonish and used 3/4 tsp crushed coriander seed, 2.5 tsp. sweet orange peel and 2 crushed cloves. Came out having way too much spice. The amounts you list for coriander and clove look nice and light. Maybe lessen the cinnamon (have not used it in beer) and ginger (have not used it in beer). If you like how it turns out but feel it needs more, you can always increase the amounts for the next batch. You cannot, however, take it away if you use too much.

drichardson wrote:

Thanks for the input! Man, that seems like a long time to let it bottle condition. Should I just skip the honey altogether? How would that affect the conditioning time?

The honey is really up to you. Adding it after primary fermentation will net you more honey flavor and less sugar conversion. I would definitely wait for a minimum of 4 weeks (2 week carb/2 week condition) before you try one. If it tastes good, start drinking. If it doesn't taste like what you want, give it another week and try another, etc...

genotype wrote:

drichardson wrote:

1/8 tsp. Coriander
1/2 tsp. Ground Ginger
1 tsp. Cinnamon
1/8 tsp. cloves
1 cup Honey

I made a Blue Moon clonish and used 3/4 tsp crushed coriander seed, 2.5 tsp. sweet orange peel and 2 crushed cloves. Came out having way too much spice. The amounts you list for coriander and clove look nice and light. Maybe lessen the cinnamon (have not used it in beer) and ginger (have not used it in beer). If you like how it turns out but feel it needs more, you can always increase the amounts for the next batch. You cannot, however, take it away if you use too much.

Awesome! So perhaps a 1/4 teaspoon Ginger and 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon? Or maybe just a 1/2 tsp. of some Cinnamon I have from Penzeys Spices. It's Viatmanese I believe? Really pure stuff and pretty strong!

Any thoughts on fermenting and bottling times and how to condition, etc?

drichardson wrote:

You'll likely have to condition for a long time anyway to get everything to work together, but it doesn't hurt to experiment. I'll bet you'd want to let this set for 2 - 4 months.

The issue is that you've got quite a bit of fermentable material in there as well as a bunch of spices. Your yeast will want to work on the fermentables (sugars) first and then work on settling flavors. While you may have everything fermented, you'll have some work to do on getting all the flavors, esters, etc. to cooperate and balance each other out. I think the honey will be ok, but I think you could fly without it.

Brown Dog Brew wrote:

drichardson wrote:

You'll likely have to condition for a long time anyway to get everything to work together, but it doesn't hurt to experiment. I'll bet you'd want to let this set for 2 - 4 months.

The issue is that you've got quite a bit of fermentable material in there as well as a bunch of spices. Your yeast will want to work on the fermentables (sugars) first and then work on settling flavors. While you may have everything fermented, you'll have some work to do on getting all the flavors, esters, etc. to cooperate and balance each other out. I think the honey will be ok, but I think you could fly without it.

Thank you for chiming in and I think you have a very good point. It seems to be the general consensus to leave the honey out but perhaps I might just add 2 tbsps. after primary fermenting, just to add some flavor but not have so much fermentable material in there.

Octoberfest with Golden Wheat ume and either half pound of honey after 1 week in primary, OR 1 cup booster used as directed.Can't help on spices, but the spiced beer I made had a funny flavor that conditioned out after awhile.Don't assume its ruined if it tastes weird at first! Dont fear the coriander, the cinnamon and cloves are what to not overdo.

Just punched this up in Qbrew and it just makes it into the Amber guidelines on the low end of color and gravity, about 4.8 percent alcohol.

Love Penzeys spices!

Brown Dog Brew wrote:

I had some really good input when I wanted to brew a honey beer. I was kind of talked out of it too. Here's the link to the thread:

http://community.mrbeer.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=124&func=view&catid=9&id=217482

Thank you for the link! I'll read through the whole thread after I get home from work tonight! Looks like some good reading and a pretty good brew! I would like to make a better version of Leinenkugels Honey Weiss and that recipe looks awesome!

Bender B. Rodriguez wrote:

Octoberfest with Golden Wheat ume and either half pound of honey after 1 week in primary, OR 1 cup booster used as directed.Can't help on spices, but the spiced beer I made had a funny flavor that conditioned out after awhile.Don't assume its ruined if it tastes weird at first! Dont fear the coriander, the cinnamon and cloves are what to not overdo.

Just punched this up in Qbrew and it just makes it into the Amber guidelines on the low end of color and gravity, about 4.8 percent alcohol.

Love Penzeys spices!

So Golden Wheat UME is the way to go? I thought that might add too much of a wheat flavor to my beer and detract from the spices. A half pound of honey seems like quite a bit as well, but I have no idea!

4.8% abv isn't too bad. The actual Blue Moon Spiced Amber ale clocks in at 5.6% abv. Not sure how to get a much richer amber color. Thinking I should use brown sugar for bottle priming though.

Don't quote me on this, but I don't think it'll matter what sugar you use for bottle priming - it's not enough to impart any real flavor or color changes.

If you are still wanting to get a darker color you could try subbing the Pale Export for the Mellow Amber UME, in qBrew it looks like that would be around 14 SRM - and to get an idea of what a 14 SRM is you can go to the Mr Beer website and search recipes, then search by color and click on some of the 12, 13, 14, and 15 SRM colored beer and look at their pictures. Here is a link for some different colors: SRM 15, SRM 14, SRM 13, and SRM 12

With Pale Export, OVL and .75# Amber DME you'd get a 12 SRM
With Pale Export, OVL and 1# Amber DME you'd get a 13 SRM
With Mellow Amber, OVL and .75# Amber DME you'd get a 14 SRM
and with Mellow Amber, OVL and 1# Amber DME you'd get a 15 SRM

Also, a hop boil, like some of the others mentioned, would be a good idea. It'll add a little flavor/smell that should compliment the spices without being very hoppy I also remember this beer being pretty malty and rich, so I wouldn't be afraid of your recipe being a little more on the malty side - it won't have a Guiness or stout type character to it.

^^^ Very good idea! Thank you allenc85! That is a great idea! Unfortunately, I was a fool and never actually drank one of these out of a glass so I'm just basing the color on a few videos I have seen of it.

Mellow Amber UME might be an excellent choice as well, might be better than the Pale export. I'm just afraid of using the Wheat UME that it will be too much wheat flavor but then again, I'm a total newb!

Thank you for crunching those numbers and checking the SRM colors!

I'm planning on using a Casade hop boil as another person suggested ad based on the flavor profile, I think it will compliment the spices nicely.

Any suggestions on fermenting time, bottle conditioning, etc?

drichardson wrote:

^^^ Very good idea! Thank you allenc85! That is a great idea! Unfortunately, I was a fool and never actually drank one of these out of a glass so I'm just basing the color on a few videos I have seen of it.

FYI - if you drink out of a glass you'll get to better enjoy the aromas of the beer. I think any of the SRM 12-15 will be good color wise, so I'd focus more on the flavor.

Mellow Amber UME might be an excellent choice as well, might be better than the Pale export. I'm just afraid of using the Wheat UME that it will be too much wheat flavor but then again, I'm a total newb!

Thank you for crunching those numbers and checking the SRM colors!

I think either Pale Export or Mellow Amber would be fine, I'd probably go with Pale Export simply because I'd rather save a little $ by purchasing the Christmas Ale recipe rather than buying one HME an UME separately, but if you already have the OVL HME and just need a UME pick whichever.

As far as "crunching" numbers - get qBrew, which is a software that helps you create recipes, and it'll do the work for you. Search the topics on here and learn some of the basics about it and then give it a shot. It helps me a lot!

I'm planning on using a Casade hop boil as another person suggested ad based on the flavor profile, I think it will compliment the spices nicely.

Assuming you go with some DME - make sure to heat it in about a gallon of water past its "hot break" before doing the hop boil. Pour the DME in first, mix to break up any clumps and heat. KEEP AN EYE ON IT. It will foam up and boil over the sides if you aren't watching it. Just turn the heat down, or take it off the burner, and stir it until the foam goes down. Then put it back on the heat, and repeat the process until it stops foaming up.

Then get it to a low, rolling boil and add your hops. Hops have to be boiled in water that has some malt in it for the hops to impart its flavor/bitterness/aroma - or at least this is how I understand it.

Any suggestions on fermenting time, bottle conditioning, etc?

The general guideline for fermenting/conditioning is 3 weeks in the LBK and 4 weeks in the bottle. If you have a hydrometer then that will let you know when fermentation is completed, but 3 weeks is pretty much the gold standard.

In reality, you are going to try one after 7 days in the bottle, then again at 10 days, and then again after 2 weeks; but try to save the vast majority for after 4 weeks. This will probably be at its best after 2 months in the bottle, IMO.

PS - I'd recommend Safale US-05 or Safbrew T-58

Allen, thank you so much for your in depth responses! This recipe is really coming together and I hope it turns out just awesome! Not sure when I will be getting around to it exactly and getting everything all wrestled together! I will be just buying the Octoberfest Lager and UME separate.

So I'm leaning more towards the Ocotberfest Vienna Lager for my HME but still up in the air on the UME? Or do you all think the Red Ale would e a better choice?

Otherwise, my other ingredients and amounts seem to be falling into place!

This is such a great community and I am glad that I have had such positive and helpful feedback!

I've never used OVL or Bewitched Red Ale - so can't help you there. You can always go to Mr Beer website and read how they describe the two; looks like BRA is malty and slightly sweet and OVL is smooth with a toffee-like malt richness...

allenc85 wrote:

I've never used OVL or Bewitched Red Ale - so can't help you there. You can always go to Mr Beer website and read how they describe the two; looks like BRA is malty and slightly sweet and OVL is smooth with a toffee-like malt richness...

Hmmm...from that description it sounds like OVL is more the way to go but then again, what do I know?! lol

Only one way to find out :) I have several recipes that featured OVL as a base because Target online had them on sale for like $5 each plus $5 shipping. So I got 5 OVL packs and went to the MrB recipe tab, sorted by HME and just started brewing ones that had OVL as the base. Some of them are hitting the pipeline now but still trying to let them condition a bit longer before I start to sample and take notes on how they taste & change each week.

Once you get through your first DME or LME experience - and your first hop boil, you will probably find it more cost effective to just buy those things locally and wait for MrB to put things on sale (they always have a couple of recipes on sale each month) and you will have the experience to go out and modify recipes you see :)

Don't chase a high alcohol volume, go for taste through adding more malt than sugars and you will be crafting up some yummy goodness in no time flat.

Cheers
jeff

Manowarfan1 wrote:

Only one way to find out :) I have several recipes that featured OVL as a base because Target online had them on sale for like $5 each plus $5 shipping. So I got 5 OVL packs and went to the MrB recipe tab, sorted by HME and just started brewing ones that had OVL as the base. Some of them are hitting the pipeline now but still trying to let them condition a bit longer before I start to sample and take notes on how they taste & change each week.

Once you get through your first DME or LME experience - and your first hop boil, you will probably find it more cost effective to just buy those things locally and wait for MrB to put things on sale (they always have a couple of recipes on sale each month) and you will have the experience to go out and modify recipes you see :)

Don't chase a high alcohol volume, go for taste through adding more malt than sugars and you will be crafting up some yummy goodness in no time flat.

Cheers
jeff

Thank you for the great insight! And wow, $5 and $5 shipping from Target?! That's a steal my man! Hopefully I can track down some deals like that! Unfortunately, I don't have a store all that close to me that carries Mr. B products and the stores that are about 45 minutes away would carry a limited selection. If I do to Des Moines, IA, which is just about 90 minutes away, there should be plenty of stores that carry a pretty complete selection of things.

Hey,

G@@gled for this exact recipe and found your thread. Not sure how old this thread is but did this turn out well for you?

-AH

I haven't got around to concocting it just yet! I've been working on a few other brews and a couple summer things I want to get going. I hope to start on this within the next month or so. Either that or start it maybe around August so it will be ready to drink by the end of October!

Awesome. Well if you ever have time to post how it turns out that would be great. I could actually drink this any time of the year and not just during the winter season. And according to Blue Moon, seems fall/winter is the only times they will release in the samplers.

Good luck on your other brews

-AH

I will gladly post some updates when I make it! I could not agree more with your disappointment about the Spiced Amber Ale only being available in their Winter Sampler. Blue Moon is putting more emphasis on their Winter Abbey Ale and plain and simply, the Spiced Amber Ale KILLS any brew made by Blue Moon. I really need to write a letter and let them know that they could really up their sales by selling Spiced Amber Ale all year long or at least sell it in 6-packs during the winter season.

haha I've actually already done that. Well emailed them and they just thank me for liking it so much and make sure I know it will be back next this winter.

I've been working on this clone for a while as well and this is what I've developed after my 4th attempt (getting close):

American ale yeast
Amber ale base (hilltop ale): https://www.annapolishomebrew.com/p/92/ahbamberale
0.5 lb Briess 60L crystal grain
0.25 lb Briess Victory
Hops:
- 3 aau Amarillo at beginning of 60 min boil
- 14 grams of Amarillo last 30 min of boil
- 14 grams Cascade last 2 min of boil
3.0 oz of cinnamon (approx): last 50 min of boil (grate cinnamon)
1 whole nut of nutmeg: last 50 min of boil (chop up nutmeg in blender or coffee grinder)
Orange blossom honey (1 lb) add with last malt