Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
marchuk96

Jamaica mon yeast question

Bout to brew my next brew jamaica mon which i just recieved and was wondering what would adding two packets of yeast do to the beer...also thinking of adding a touch of honey...comments??? thanx

I got my Jamaica in the keg, day 3 now. Quickly built up a really nice krausen and plenty of activity in the keg with just the one packet that came with the brew. Not sure what more yeast will do, or if it would be necessary.

What kind of yeast are you using? If it's the fromunda, I always like to use more than one packet. In fact, I usually like to use at least three.

Yeah its the frumunda yeast...mrmalty calc says four grams which would be two packs...what u think of honey addition...say half cup??

marchuk96 wrote:

Yeah its the frumunda yeast...mrmalty calc says four grams which would be two packs...what u think of honey addition...say half cup??

I'm not a big fan of adding honey. Some people like it, but I don't. It thins the beer and adds a taste I don't like that takes a long time to condition out.

bpgreen wrote:

What kind of yeast are you using? If it's the fromunda, I always like to use more than one packet. In fact, I usually like to use at least three.

That's what I do too but I'm starting to wonder. I brewed a few days ago and got a 9 degree temp spike on day 2.

Cool...it was a thought...must people said this was delicious as is so I think I'm rolling with the original recipe and two yeast packs...thanks for your feedback:)

I just put my Jamacia Mon in the LBK yesterday, pitched 2 packets of yeast. Checked it tonight and I have a nice thick churning layer of Krausen. Pitched at 70 degrees and OG reading was 1.50 (I think I read it right) Good luck with your brew.

Isn't the general idea that 1 can of hme = 1 packet of yeast? Certainly you can use more than one packet, but hopefully my beer won't necessarily SUFFER by the fact that I followed the MrB instructions...or so I hope!!

Thats why i asked jerry...from what I gathered it won't hurt and it will add some depth to your brew...mrmalty calculator actually said two packs or 4 ounces of yeast for 2 gallons of brew