Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
jcoiv70

Testing on Superbowl Sunday

Well I am a new brewer here and decided that even though I wanted to hold out and run with the 2+2+2 school of thought, being my first beer I should taste it in its early stages.. It was brewed on January 2 and bottled on the 18th. I am going to put one in the fridge on Friday and taste it on super Sunday. What are people's thoughts about using you first brew as a test to see how the flavores change over time? Test one a week?

I just got into brewing myself. I tried one at 2 weeks and it was ok and carbonation was light tried 1 at 4 weeks and it tasted allot better and carbonation was allot better.

Coincidentally, I will be sampling my first batch on Super Bowl Sunday as well. I will be doing exactly as you described: one a week to see how the flavor changes. I just hope my memory serves me well each week. Good luck!

jcoiv70 wrote:

Well I am a new brewer here and decided that even though I wanted to hold out and run with the 2+2+2 school of thought, being my first beer I should taste it in its early stages.. It was brewed on January 2 and bottled on the 18th. I am going to put one in the fridge on Friday and taste it on super Sunday. What are people's thoughts about using you first brew as a test to see how the flavores change over time? Test one a week?

If you are going to do it, the best way is to label the bottles as one week, two weeks, three weeks, etc. and then put them in the fridge at the appropriate time, so week one bottle at one week etc. Then leave them all in the fridge until last one is in and then pop all at once and drink. This way you can really see the difference all at the same time.

Also watch this video of someone doing something similar:

what was your first brew? my was wcpa, fermented for 14 days carbed for 14 days and 2 days in the fridge and drank the first bottle and it was good, very drinkable. waited another week and threw in some more and 2 days in the fridge and it was great. waited almost another week and the rest was awesome. so definetly all my brews thus far get better with age. but you should be happy with a few on super sunday, get some mugs and throw them in the freezer and enjoy some frosty mugs and watch my pats beat up on the giants....
happy brewing.\ wcpa2wkcarb1dayshill-20120131.PNG

Guest System Admin

I was thinking of testing on Sunday but I may drink so much (Jets fan) my beer wouldn't get it's due....so Monday is the taste test!

a lot depends on the type of brew. a double ipa i brewed was great after just two weeks. stayed great after 3 weeks. continuing to be great after 4 weeks. ipa's and wheat beers are good young.

i am also running it up the flag pole on super bowl sunday.after that prob wont try another one for 2 weeks.on sunday,it will have just been in bottles for a little over 4 weeks with only 2 weeks in lbk.
wish i had let it sit another week fermenting but i guess 1st batch mistakes are to be expected.enjoy your beer!

I am going to do exactly what you are planning to do for the Super Bowl. I bottled mine on January 17th and will put one in the fridge on Saturday morning. Here's to using the game as a good excuse for an early taste!

It is a great ideal to gradually see how your beer changes with age. For most of my first 10 batches or so, the best one of each batch was the last one left. Now I have so many different batches in bottles that I no longer purposely test the taste over time, but still find that most continue to inprove with time.

I was also playing with the idea of cracking open my first brew this weekend too but mine will only have carbed for eleven days and I'm wondering if its even worth it...its WCPA and I'm just dying to try it but at the same time I don't want it to taste bad or be flat...i mean I usually run with coors light and it can't be worse than having one of those could it...also I wouldn't be so sure about those pats...they going to have there work cut out for them against my Giants...BIG BLUE BABY!!

wouldnt hurt to throw 2 in fridge saturday and try them during the game ;) just to get a base line on taste and carbing process. then try somemore the following weekend and see how they get better with age.

New and first post.

Doing this as we speak. 3 weeks fermentation and 8 days carbonating in bottles (IPA). My modest goal was that it would taste like beer. OMG, I'm so happy! I will wait another week before refrigerating and trying more, but I wanted to know and I'm impatient.

Named after my late friend (died way too soon from Lou Gehrig disease) who inspired me, Kawboy Pale Ale.

SKOL !
the Bourbonator

Welcome to the obsession bourbonator! Keep reading these forums, don't be afraid to ask questions, and most importantly, learn as much as you can. Your beer will thank you for it.

i already tasted my first batch early, but am planning on busting out the rest for my brother and a good friend on superbowl sunday.