Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
TomToro

I now have a hydrometer. How do I use it?

Is there a thread that describes in detail how to use my hydrometer to see when it's time for bottling?

Also, can it be used for other parts of the brewing process?

TomToro wrote:

Is there a thread that describes in detail how to use my hydrometer to see when it's time for bottling?

Also, can it be used for other parts of the brewing process?

Give this a looksy

Thanks guys, I had not seen that download link.

Question for the group: How many of you dump your sample and how many of you pour it back into the wort?

I seem to have seen an equal a mount of people doing both, and I was wondering what people experiences were.

One way preserves the amount of beer, the other prevents contamination, which seems to be a holy grail of brewing (ie a hard fast rule).

I drink as well. I'm sure there is a risk in dumping it back in, I just drink it cause I want to...

I've almost always dumped all but a small amount for tasting. Practice Good sanitation and there is no issue (ie, I dont let my sneezing child in my brew room while I'm sampling, I'm anal about watching for pet hair on my clothes during sampling, I let my items soak in starsan for longer than necessary, I use ph strips to ensure my starsan is acidic enough to be effective) not one contaminated batch yet