Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Ekirch

Basic care question

What are people using to properly clean the fermenter (and bottles) after use. The directions say to avoid dish detergent. I guess I'm not looking in the right place, but I can't seem to find "mild, fragrant free" soap that is not dish soap. Any suggestions?

Ekirch wrote:

What are people using to properly clean the fermenter (and bottles) after use. The directions say to avoid dish detergent. I guess I'm not looking in the right place, but I can't seem to find "mild, fragrant free" soap that is not dish soap. Any suggestions?

Oxyclean free...no dyes, chlorine,bleach, perfumes, etc.

Ekirch wrote:

Thanks. Any specific amount, or are you just winging it

I toss a scoop in the lbk, let it soak overnight and then triple rinse it and allow to air dry.

I know the favorite around here is Oxyclean free, but I am still a bit leery of using a laundry product for cleaning a food container. I just rinse the LBK several times and and wipe it out carefully with a soft cloth. Then I put the left over sanitzer from bottling into the keg and let it soak for 30 minutes or so. I then rinse a few more times. This has worked very well for me.

docpd wrote:

I know the favorite around here is Oxyclean free, but I am still a bit leery of using a laundry product for cleaning a food container. I just rinse the LBK several times and and wipe it out carefully with a soft cloth. Then I put the left over sanitzer from bottling into the keg and let it soak for 30 minutes or so. I then rinse a few more times. This has worked very well for me.

I use Oxyclean free as well, but if I don't rinse it out with LOTS of water it leaves a soapy residue behind. Other then making sure it's completely rinsed off, it works great for me.

Ekirch wrote:

Do you do the same thing with the empty bottles?

I do. The day before bottling I'll soak them in oxyclean and then triple rinse and air dry.

i use walmarts sun oxyclean- chlorine free, and its not just for laundry, it seems to work good.

Guest System Admin

Oxyclean free works fine for me, I just rinse it really really well.