Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
TheAmericanDream

Bottle capper and cap tightness

I just bought my first bottle capper, the traditional red one with the two handheld levers, and I'm having some trouble with it. As a test run, I applied caps to bottles filled with water, and caps twist off with very minimal effort, much easier than would a Miller Lite, for example. When I submerge the capped bottles underwater, no air or water seems to get in or escape, but my fear is that when the beer begins to carb that the caps will surely fly off. Also, the capper Itself likes to stick to the bottle after I press down and I have to yank the bottle loose pretty forcefully. Has anyone else had this problem?

I use a bench capper, but have a question. Are you using twist top bottles or pop top?

I have noticed that some of the pry off bottles have the second lip (where your capper grabs onto) closer to the top of the bottle and when using a wing capper the caps do not get crimped on very well on these types. Look at a Sam Adams bottle (good bottle) compared to some of the beers made in Mexico (not so good bottle).

I had reservations with the wing capper when I started.

What I do now is when I don't think the cap went on tightly, I invert the bottle for a minute or two (don't shake, just slowly turn over) in a six-pack holder or something else that will keep them upside-down. Then I check to see if any beer has leaked through the cap.

I haven't had ANY problems yet, but still check every 6 bottles or so just to make sure.

TheAmericanDream wrote:

I'm using twist top bottles

There you go. See what kind of results you get with pop tops. My guess is you will be fine.

GWCR wrote:

TheAmericanDream wrote:

There you go. See what kind of results you get with pop tops. My guess is you will be fine.

Ding, ding, ding. On the money there. I'm still kind of interested in why the capper is sticking to caps such that he has to remove the bottles forcefully. I'm stumped on that one. My magnet probably couldn't hold up any more weight than that of the actual cap.

USMCMatt wrote:

DING! Solved, let's all drink a beer

D*mn! Can't yet. Still working (tho I work from home on Friday's).......aw what the hell, might as well have one.

I'd stick those bottles in the fridge and head to the nearest store for a couple of 12 packs of soda. Drink a couple on the way home, dump the rest, clean the bottles, and try to gently transfer your beer.

SenorPepe wrote:

GWCR wrote:

TheAmericanDream wrote:

Ding, ding, ding. On the money there. I'm still kind of interested in why the capper is sticking to caps such that he has to remove the bottles forcefully. I'm stumped on that one. My magnet probably couldn't hold up any more weight than that of the actual cap.

I've noticed that some twist off bottles have a very thin second lip. I'm betting the capper is sliding up and he's not getting a good crimp. Of course it could be the cap not being centered on the bottle due to the threads. Either way, I'm betting it's not completely crimping and the cap is getting stuck in the bell. Just my theory though. I would suggest not using the twist offs.

At least you figured it out before you actually bottled your beer! But I'd try it on a pop off and I bet it works much better. I have the same capper and it works great. I would have bought a bench capper but I'm hoping to move to kegging soon. Good luck with your brew!

Missed the part about it being a water test. At least you didn't wait weeks to find that your beer didn't carb.

I said beer. But not in this thread.

Oh look! Now I did.

Elsteve-o wrote:

I like beer who said beer

Best response to any thread that I've seen yet, hahaha. Nice...