Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
ben_postgate

Slightly disappointed, persevere or ditch?

Just cracked open my first bottle of my first brew: A Cowboy Golden lager standard kit, fermented for 13 days, bottled for 14, fridge for 1 day. Will it get better with ageing or should I write it off to experience and patiently await my second batch (CABA HME, 500g light DME, booster, Cascade hops 25 + 7 min)?

Cheers!

Good grief man, it's just a baby! keep that sucker at room temp for a few more weeks before you try another. My CGL was best after 10 weeks in the bottle.

Patience...

:barman:

It will get better! Similar to GWCR, mine was best at 8+ weeks. It's a bummer to wait that long but you shall be rewarded.

Yeah definitely give them at least another week or two to lager correctly. I know it's a tough wait for that first batch, I'm carbing my first batch right now, also a CGL. But if I've learned anything from this board it's that patience is key!

They're all ruined. PM me and I'll give you the address you can mail the remaining beers to me at.

:P

====

Which one is the Sarcasm smiley face?

ben_postgate wrote:

Will it get better with ageing or should I write it off to experience and patiently await my second batch (CABA HME, 500g light DME, booster, Cascade hops 25 + 7 min)?

What exactly is wrong with it?

The obvious solution that most have noted already is "give it more time OUT of the fridge" but what exactly don't you like about it?

Thanks for the replies. I think I've put my finger on the dislike - cidery and undercarbed.

Will keep my thirsty paws off it for a couple of months. *scuttles off to find some Duvel

What factors lead to conditioning time length and is there an easy way to judge the duration?

Cheers.

Conditioning time is a factor of the ingredients and the temperatures and probably the yeast health. The best way to determine conditioning length for a particular batch is read previous people who have done that batch and go by their experience, and experience for yourself and keep notes.

So in your brewing log book for Batch #1 - you have your first taste test entry already. You know what date it was taken, how long it had been since bottling/brewing, and the things you didnt like about it. Let the others condition and then pop one in the fridge every week or two weeks and take more notes. Eventually you will find the sweet spot for that batch so you will know going forward if you do that one again.

The best helper for patience is a full pipleline, and/or doing research and harvesting bottles - sounds like you are off on that path with going to find some Duvel :)

Cheers
jeff

The problem is you're from the UK where the pubs on every corner make awesome pints of bitter and you are used to beers different than the one you made....
(another attempt at sarcasm)

Seriously, if I go back and read some of my notes from the old days of making beer, I'd see words like 'complete crap', 'never again' and then comments a month or so later with 'damn good stuff'. I'm impatient too and the instructions say you can make beer in 21 days but it doesn't so you will love it. :laugh: It will get better but the question is, will it be the kind of beer you like? Still, YOU MADE BEER!