Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
jeff7181

Same taste in multiple brews

I'm getting a bit of the same flavor from multiple brews that are drastically different. For example... I made a Canadian Draft with Liberty hops added last fall and it tastes very similar to the American Blonde with Pale Export that I just finished conditioning for 3 weeks.

Maybe it's the standard yeast found under the lid of most HME's? Is there another yeast I could use that imparts less of it's own flavor to make the characteristics of each brew more noticeable?

The yeast is one possible culprit for sure. Both US-05 and Nottingham will ferment clean, especially at the lower end of the temp range.

Cheers!

jeff7181 wrote:

I'm getting a bit of the same flavor from multiple brews that are drastically different. For example... I made a Canadian Draft with Liberty hops added last fall and it tastes very similar to the American Blonde with Pale Export that I just finished conditioning for 3 weeks.

Maybe it's the standard yeast found under the lid of most HME's? Is there another yeast I could use that imparts less of it's own flavor to make the characteristics of each brew more noticeable?

Them two are very similar in taste as is The cowboy. The Liberties should have changed the taste, but maybe not if you just dry hopped. Try some different yeast or a hop boil and you should see a little difference in taste.

Or could be the water, lots of chlorine, and other stuff added to the tap water, Try different yeast and some spring water

+1 Water and yeast are your most likely culprits here.

Edit: Also, try to keep the fermenting temps around 64 degrees. The yeast won't produce as many byproducts at that temp.

One thing, although I've never experienced it, is if you use scented soap and don't do a good job cleaning out the LBK afterwards, the soap can impart some flavors.

I'd definitely say yeast and water though.

Yep, sounds like Mr. beer yeast twang

Have no fears though, I've found that taste will mostly go away with conditioning.

the yeast is very important one yeastie does not a beers make Match the yeast to the style you are making. Save the fromunda yeast for making soda pop

Guest System Admin

It's funny, I thought it was just me (and probably is)...when I did a final taste before bottling on my last two brews there was a similar taste. I could still taste the stout and I could still taste the ale, but so far everything has been in fine in the end result.

That is totally up to you. What are you trying to do? You have a much greater variety of yeast to chose from. IMNSHO yeast is to beer what location is to wine. You can match the yeast to the style literally to the brewery. I love all of the weird experiments you can do. My favorite brew is a cross between a Pilsner and and IPA brewed with one of the Belgium yeasts

There have been many a lively discussion here about the MR Beer taste. Do a search on it. I am one of the camp who blame that taste on the yeast. Most of the kits use the same yeast, same for ale and lager just ain't right. Yeast is to beer what location is to wine

I'm glad I found this thread!

Was starting to think my taste buds had started going south.

Using bottled spring water, proper cleaning/sanitation, and the 2/2/2 method, I'm finding no discernible taste difference between any of the 3 different batches that I've made so far. For lack of a better description, they have all tasted like over-carbonated, weak Bud.

All have been made with the single yeast pack included under the lid.

For the pros here, these are the 3 flavors I've made to date:

West Coast Pale Ale
Octoberfest Vienna
Whispering Wheat

I'm going to let the OFV and WWW sit in the dark for another week or two, and try a bottle of each again, to see if that might make a difference.

I've currently got a batch of High Country almost ready for bottling, and am not really looking forward to yet another 2 gallons of the same stuff.

Should I try different yeasts with these refill kits for better flavors?

Johnny

use the correct yeast for the style and start doing a partial mash. These steps will and huge amounts of flavor and mouth feel to your beer

Thanks for the input!

I'll definitely purchase more appropriate yeasts with my next refill kits, and start reading up on going the grain rout.

Johnny

Johnny,

The basic kits are all somewhat weak and watery. Overcarbed because Mr. Beer instructions tell you to bottle prime with too much sugar. They will get better with time, compare them in another 2-4 weeks.

To solve your concerns along with different yeast, also try leaving out the booster and adding a pound or two of DME to your next batch with a hop boil. You will notice a big difference. There are several recipe ideas on this forum and also on the mr beer site. Download Q brew to plug in your own recipes and post them in the forums to get feedback.

Appreciate the advice, Gluek! Being that I'm only working on my 4th batch, I'm not really worried.

There's so much reading and experimenting ahead, I don't think I'll be getting bored anytime soon!

harlock69 wrote:

For the pros here, these are the 3 flavors I've made to date:

West Coast Pale Ale
Octoberfest Vienna
Whispering Wheat

Should I try different yeasts with these refill kits for better flavors?

Johnny

Them 3 should should have quite a bit different taste to them, but a lot of the MB refills do taste a lot alike to me also. Try using the deluxe (HME/UME) refills if you are not already, and yes try different yeast for the style of beer, will make a big difference.

Jerik wrote:

Yep, sounds like Mr. beer yeast twang

Have no fears though, I've found that taste will mostly go away with conditioning.

This ^^^

I quit brewing over a year ago because of this very problem. I brewed a basic recipe following Mr B's instructions, and was thrilled to be brewing my own beer. Immediately bought some accessories and a premium recipe (Brew Ha Ha Boch) and brew it up as soon as I bottled my original batch.

After a few weeks the original batch never got past the plain 'ol beer taste. It wasn't bad, just wasn't good or anything to be proud of. I was hoping my premium recipe would be exponentially better, and low and behold it tasted almost the same. I was pissed.

I poured out the original batch, and since I'd already bottled the second batch in glass bottles I put them up and forgot about them. I stumbled onto them about 3-4 months later and threw a few in the fridge and voila - it had it's own distinct, good taste. It taught me patience - and that Mr Beer yeast with the directions given are a joke. I now only brew with it if I can use 3 packs, otherwise I just toss the pack in for the last 5 or so minutes of the boil.

Sorry for the lengthy expose, but I just hope nobody else gets discouraged because of the Mr Beer yeast and/or lack of instructions involved in the brew process.