Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
livewirecs

This is it! (crosses fingers)

I am going to put a liter of my West Coast Pale Ale in the fridge tonight (Friday) so it will be ready for the Super Bowl! It fermented for two weeks and Sunday wil have carb'd for two weeks. ( I know I'm supposed to wait 2 more weeks but i'm only doing 1 bottle)

After all this waiting I am hoping..hoping it is drinkable abd worth the wait!

I just tried one of my WCPA's on Monday after 2 weeks in the fermenter and 2 weeks of carbing. It was drinkable but it still seemed off to me. I think it still needs 2 weeks of conditioning. I'm going to try another one this weekend.

Good luck with yours!

Good luck. Be sure to let us know how it turns out.

My CGL will have been in the bottle four week next Friday. The person who gave me the kit for Christmas wants me to bring it over for a tasting. I'm getting a bit stressed over it. I'm thinking of getting some craft brew and soaking the labels of. :whistle:

Hey Livewire, I'll join ya. Mines been in the bottle 2 weeks tomorrow morning. I'll put one in the fridge tonight too. Sometime around kickoff I'll raise my glass in a toast to you thru the TV screen.

Sounds like a plan. then we can both come back on and say " Well that sucked" then leave them to condition longer lol

You're absolutely right. But, if we were just following Mr. B instructions, and not learning from the great folks on here, all that WCPA would already be gone by now.

I like the idea of trying one a week. I don't have any idea what green beer taste like. Except for a little bit on bottleing day.

Honestly, I think it's a great idea.

You can hear us all say "wait, it's worth it" but until you taste for yourself you will never really know for sure, right?

It will NOT be horrible, I can tell you that. It might be cidery and not have great carb but:
1) It will set a baseline for your to compare to
2) It's a beer YOU made, and that counts for a lot

livewirecs wrote:

I am going to put a liter of my West Coast Pale Ale in the fridge tonight (Friday) so it will be ready for the Super Bowl! It fermented for two weeks and Sunday wil have carb'd for two weeks. ( I know I'm supposed to wait 2 more weeks but i'm only doing 1 bottle)

After all this waiting I am hoping..hoping it is drinkable abd worth the wait!

I'm cheating too :)

My first batch, WCPA has also been carbing for 2 weeks (I fermented for 3).

I put one bottle in the fridge today to enjoy on Superbowl Sunday.

I too know it's going to be "green" and will only get better with age. I know the flavor will get better and head retention will improve.

But I also want to taste my beer, and learn what an early beer tastes like so I can appreciate the ones I did wait on. :)

Good luck with your....Cheers!

It may be a little green for the Super Bowl but it will probably taste better than most of beers that will be advertised during the game....just sayin
B)

i will also be drinking my first batch wcpa during the superbowl, go pats.......i have cheated i drank one at 2 weeks carbing and it was good. i put 5 in the fridge a 3 weeks in the bottle, and i put 3 in last night 4 weeks in the bottle, and i will be compareing them all during the game. so the 3 week bottles will have been cold for a week, we will see. wish me luck

I don't think there is a single brewer out there that can say they didn't drink a green beer from there first batch it's like a right of passage, it's your beer. there are no rules that state you have to do it THIS way or THAT way! It is a great way to learn the craft and what we do have in store for ourselves when we let time and yeast do there thing! To all of you that are cracking open a fermented beverage that you made yourself Green or Great! Cheers & Enjoy

DesreveR wrote:

I don't think there is a single brewer out there that can say they didn't drink a green beer from there first batch it's like a right of passage, it's your beer. there are no rules that state you have to do it THIS way or THAT way! It is a great way to learn the craft and what we do have in store for ourselves when we let time and yeast do there thing! To all of you that are cracking open a fermented beverage that you made yourself Green or Great! Cheers & Enjoy

+1. I'll be trying my first WCPA this weekend after 3 weeks in the bottle. More excited for this than the Super Bowl. Cheers and good luck!

(Oh, and nice pic DesreveR!)

My first creation was the American Blonde Ale and just like the rest of you, I couldn't wait the 4 weeks in the bottles! I put the first one in the fridge at two weeks and was very happy with it.

So...I put a couple more in the fridge and as I drank a bit more, realized just how green it was. The carbonation was a bit fizzy and it still had a bit of a cidery taste, so I stopped drinking it. That was a week and a half ago and I, too, am looking forward to trying it again on Superbowl Sunday. It will be 4 weeks in the bottle by then and I'm sorry to say that I don't believe any of the remaining soldiers will live through the night!! ;)

You guys mind if I join in on the fun?? My first batch was the WCPA also. I fermented for 3 weeks, batch primed, and it's been carbing for 2 weeks. I've got a 1/2 bottle that I just put in the fridge to crack open tomorrow. We'll see how it goes!

I'm right there with you. My first batch will use the 2/2/1.5 method (close enough right?) but it's the Superbowl! :gulp:

I'll join you guys I have a weizenbock that's 4 weeks in the bottle and I'm positive that there not ready yet... but I'm dying to try one!

Quick question. Beer looked pretty clear before I placed it in fridge, now t is a bit cloudy. Is tha normal? It's in a private fridge in my bar and nobody has touched it or shaken it up etc...

Add me to the list! I have a WCPA batch bottled and ready to drink, fermented for 3 weeks, been bottled for close to 3 also. Tried the first one last night, not a lot of head but nice, consistent carbonation. I'll be taking a handful of them to our Super Bowl party tomorrow for everyone to try!

livewirecs wrote:

Quick question. Beer looked pretty clear before I placed it in fridge, now t is a bit cloudy. Is tha normal? It's in a private fridge in my bar and nobody has touched it or shaken it up etc...

How long has it been in the fridge?

It came out ok but had a bit of a vingear aftertaste. Is that a matter of not conditioning long enough?

livewirecs wrote:

It came out ok but had a bit of a vingear aftertaste. Is that a matter of not conditioning long enough?

A vinegar taste is usually a sign of infection. If it's a cider taste and you're just misjudging it, it should fade with conditioning.

I asked once, and I'll try again. How long was it in the fridge?

I guess it could be a cider taste. Sorry about the question, I was posting from my phone last time and didn't notice it. It was in the fridge for 24 hours...almost :P

Like I said it was still really tasty, just after you swallowed you caught a slight vinegar/ciderey of taste. For what it's worth, I tasted the beer currently in my LBK and it has kinda the same scent.

I'll be joinin you guys for the super bowl tasting. My ABA has been in bottles for almost four weeks now I put a few in the fridge for the wife an myself to have during the game. I'm anxious to try it and sure it will be better than store bought. At least I hope so anyway!

CHEERS TO ALL YOU GUYS!

livewirecs wrote:

I guess it could be a cider taste. Sorry about the question, I was posting from my phone last time and didn't notice it. It was in the fridge for 24 hours...almost :P

Like I said it was still really tasty, just after you swallowed you caught a slight vinegar/ciderey of taste. For what it's worth, I tasted the beer currently in my LBK and it has kinda the same scent.

I'd try giving it at least three days in the fridge. That often helps flavors meld a bit. Also try to determine whether it's a cider or vinegar flavor. If it's vinegar, it's probably an infection and will get worse with time. If it's cider, it's green beer and it will get better with time.

Just tried my second WCPA. It was at 2-2-1. Still more bitter than I like but the other off flavors I wasn't enjoying are much less pronounced. I'm not sure the bitterness will get low enough for me to truly love it, but it'll be drinkable.