Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
dankirk

Opening First Brew Today

I couldn't hold out... I took one of my 3 week fermented, 1 week carbed WCPA's, and put it in the fridge last night. Today, at half-time, my buddy and I will crack it open and give it a try.

I know that the beer wont fully develop for several more weeks. I have the other 7 bottles conditioning in my closet for another 3 weeks, then into the fridge.

What should I expect from this "green" beer today? Will it taste cidery? Will it be somewhat drinkable?

It is the standard Mr. Beer WCPA, brewed per the instructions, except for the 3-week fermentation time.

My seasonal English Strong Ale is in the fermenter now. I am really looking forward to that beer being ready. I will be patient with it, and do it right.

If it was at room temp 68 - 72 and you did everything right it should be carbed. It won't be as good as it will be with more time. I know where you are coming from and I'd do (have done it) the same thing, good luck on tasting your first beer. Enjoy, you made it. :chug:
Edit: BTW if you are drinking BMC's before half time you will like it even more :)

It will be beer. Maybe slightly cidery, and should gain some complexity with time, but it will be beer, and it will be yours. After only one week in the bottle it may be under carbed, maybe even flat. If the bottle is hard it should have some carb to it. Enjoy and welcome to the obsession!

enjoy, i will be doing the same i have a whole batch of wcpa 2 week fermented, 3 weeks carb and condition, the boys and i will be drinking them up during the game, GO PaTS..... i did cheat the other day and drank one just to make sure they were drinkable for the game and im sure all will be pleased.

Here's my report: It had carbonation, some head, but not too fizzy. It was light and had a slightly citrus flavor (I assume this will diminish as it conditions further). It had a nice amber color, not as yellow as I expected. It had more flavor than I expected, and all who tried it said it was good. A buddy's wife said it was her favorite beer of the night, and we had Blue Moon, Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye, and a few varities of Sam Adams.

I look forward to trying again in about 3 more weeks. Until then, I will keep collecting my free bottles after I empty out the Sam Adams Boston Lager.

SUPER job!
Leaving it in the LBK for 3 weeks helps.
Welcome to the Obsession!

:party: