Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Stumpkicker

New Brewer asks how to add honey to beer.

Hi Everyone.

Stumpkicker here. Next Friday I'll be cracking open my first bstch: Classic American Blonde Ale. And then start on the Cowboy Larger.
Now I read in the Cooking w/Mr. Beer book you can try cutting the booster in half and adding honey for a 'crisp dry' beer. So I figure that's easy enough to try but....do you just dump the honey in there and let it sit on the bottom? It will be almost impossible to stir.

Thanks for your help.

Just in case anyone is interested. 30 some years ago a played banjo in a bluegrass band called the Stumpkickers. (Contrary to what the name implies we were all college educated North East Data Processing professionals). and I've been using that name on the internet for a good long time. If you're ever on the Fiddle or Banjo Hangouts, Yup That me; and yup I still play.

To straight answer your question, I would add it the same way you do the booster. I.E. warm up the water and then dissolve the honey in the warm water at the same time you dissolve the other half of the booster.

That being said, I would do some research on what kind of flavors and things honey will add to beer. Remember that all of the sugar will be eaten by the yeast so you won't get a honey taste, but a honey taste with no sweetness. Some people describe this as being pretty terrible, other people like it. I have never tried it, so I don't know, but just something to keep in mind. As you already said it will thin the beer because honey is highly fermentable more so then even the booster.